Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

great in depth show and tell, class work.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Got in the last 2 bits to finish the keel, under the cabin floor and under the Loo:
    IMG_3612.jpg IMG_3613.jpg

That let me get in the front and rear floor bulkheads. Again good ol' Marine Ply, glassed in place and just waiting for the weather to clear so I can get the fuel tank floor, cabin and cockpit floors in and glassed.

IMG_3611.jpg

Then the fun part begins - fairing and painting.

Not 100% sure how I'm going to do the deck non-skid.
    The 1st boat I restored and which set me on my way to becoming a boat builder, was a Caribbean Concorde in the late 80's. It was a 23'er with a 228 Mercruiser. Not particularly fast, but a great solid boat that was desperate for a paint job when I got it.
    Not knowing any better, I masked off the original non-skid and literally painted around it.
    The original gelcoat was darker than the new paint colour, so the contrast worked out quite nicely.
    I saw the boat years later, and couldn't help thinking how good the darker non-skid still looked.
    And it was obviously the factory non-skid, which is always preferable to that sprayed on stuff...

I'm thinking of doing the same with this boat, but there is a lot of discoloration in the gel coat.
    If I can get the "black spot" out of the gel coat, it may well be a viable option.

The other consideration is the finish of the floors in the boat.

I don't want to get caught up too much on this build. The idea was a quickie for my eldest, but of course, it is turning into an epic.
    I was thinking a simple flecked gelcoat finish, but fairing the floors properly and adding gloss boarders and non-skid inserts to the Mustang added less than 2 extra days...

I reckon a good speckled floor is hard to beat, covers lots of rough bits, is so easy to clean and not really slippery, especially if you do it in a more modern colour than old time brown.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I reckon a good speckled floor is hard to beat, covers lots of rough bits, is so easy to clean and not really slippery, especially if you do it in a more modern colour than old time brown.
    100% agree.

What were they thinking?
    Brown highlights and speckle?
    Even the gunnel rubber has faded to a putrid brown!
    Hideous!

I'm set on Oyster as the main colour for the boat, but undecided on the colour for stripes and boot topping.

Orange worked really well on the Haines 1600SO, but I'm a bit hesitant to go so bright on the Ventura...

Black works well with Oyster, but a bit overdone and bland...

I'll give that a bit of thought.

I just noticed the frames at either end of the coffin area 'appear' to be sealed to the keel & hull?

On mine (Viking) they are open and there is also a hole with a bung in the floor of the cabin triangle that can be removed to allow water to flow from the front to the back of the hull going under the coffin false floor.

Edit: Did your's have a little curly pig tail tube inside each side of the transom, sort of like a breather but water tight due to the curls?

Oyster & a nice deep maroon

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    100% agree.

What were they thinking?
    Brown highlights and speckle?
    Even the gunnel rubber has faded to a putrid brown!
    Hideous!

I'm set on Oyster as the main colour for the boat, but undecided on the colour for stripes and boot topping.

Orange worked really well on the Haines 1600SO, but I'm a bit hesitant to go so bright on the Ventura...

Black works well with Oyster, but a bit overdone and bland...

I'll give that a bit of thought.
    Just got my Ventura back from the painter. In the other thread on here.
    Went with a charcoal hull and (i think) matterhorn white.
    Apparently it has a slight blue tone, rather then the original grey/brown of the oyster.
    The guy at the paint place reckons thats the colour most new boats go with.
    Saw a sample and it looked nice.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I just noticed the frames at either end of the coffin area 'appear' to be sealed to the keel & hull?

Not any more.

On mine (Viking) they are open and there is also a hole with a bung in the floor of the cabin triangle that can be removed to allow water to flow from the front to the back of the hull going under the coffin false floor.

I'll do the same.

Edit: Did your's have a little curly pig tail tube inside each side of the transom, sort of like a breather but water tight due to the curls?
    No, it didn't, but I have seen them before.

I have set mine up so the whole underfloor can breath, which should keep things nice and dry.
    I'll put up some pics before the floors go down.

Ausfish Silver Member

Had a win over the last few days, despite the rain.

The floors are now screwed and epoxy glued in place, just waiting to be glassed.
    That's a major step in the right direction and I may add, a huge visual change so the little Seafarer is starting to feel like it will make it back into the water.

I fitted the under-well floors first as they were the trickiest. Obviously, the besser blocks are there to hold the unfastened part of the floor down while the epoxy glue sets,
    The centre piece has a bilge pump well built in, which sits 30mm below the level of the floor.
    IMG_3631.jpg IMG_3632.jpg

Next was screwing and glueing the cockpit floors in place. The floors had the undersides glassed first.
    IMG_3633.jpg

Lastly, the "coffin" floor was fitted:
    IMG_3634.jpg

What's not shown is the WC floor, which was also glued and screwed in place and is in line for glassing.

Didn't get time to do the cabin floor, but that shouldn't take long.

Once it's all glassed up, I'll move onto paint preparation of the hull, topsides, deck and cabin.
    Then I'll worry about flowcoating/painting interior and there's quite a bit of work to set up the removeable center floors/hatches so it looks right.

It's very satisfying to see these jumps in progress. Adding floors is a highly visual and satisfying milestone.

More soon, hopefully.

Thumbs up Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

giddy good to see you are well underway with this next rebuild. Really enjoy watching you get into these jobs. I think this is the third boat you have done since I started my rebuild so you are much faster at it then my project. Lets see how many more you can do before I hit the water.

Ausfish Silver Member

Not a race mate. Slow and steady and make no mistakes...
    I've been watching your build thread for a while and I'm really impressed with the thought you put into your build and the quality of your workmanship.
    You will get there and then look for another project!
    There's something wrong in the world if you don't have fiberglass itchies in your forearms...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Work and weather really gets in the way of messing about with boats.

Work this morning - (I hate that!) and finally got home to glass those floors in, but I got frightened by the thunder and the black skies and packed up and ran inside.
    I did managed to start glassing the coffin:
    IMG_3635.jpg IMG_3636.jpg

I have cut all the glass in preparation - that's it there on the special work bench IMG_3588.jpg

Notice how Harry's (that's me) "Law of horizontal surfaces" applies?
    For those of you that haven't heard of it, it states simply that any horizontal surface, no matter when created, will be instantly covered in shit.

So needless to say, it did NOT rain and I'm really peeved of...

But tomorrow is another day...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Had a productive past few days, as the weather was ok (finally), so I got into the glassing of the floors:

Started with glassing the floors under the outboard well. The bilge pump sump looks to be off-set and it is, so the hose can come up with a nice radius. It is going to be covered by a fuel tank and will never be seen:

IMG_3640.jpg

Next, I glassed the cockpit floors and then the "coffin":

IMG_3646.jpg IMG_3653.jpg

That took a bit of doing, given that I was alone and in full sun. But, thankfully, no disasters and it all went down nicely. It helped that everything was cut to size and pre-fitted, so when it came time to actually apply resin, there were no hitches. The dark finish is because I chose to add a layer of peel ply over the top of the 450D/B. It helps to fill the weave much better and as I have decided to gloss paint and non-skid the floor, it will give a much better result for very little extra cost and effort.

Next was to put the back of the boat back on and work out what to do with the outboard well.

You will see from the 1st photo of this post, that I have scribed the line of the outboard well onto the transom.
    As I have decided to run a 25" leg, the well is much too deep in the boat and the canterlever forces to be exerted on the transom will be enormous with no support.
    The remedy is to cut up the well and lift its floor to be mid way between the top and bottom outboard mounting bolts. Had I left it as it was, the bolts would all have been in the well. Not ideal.

By raising the floor of the well to midway between the top and bottom bolts, after glassing the floor top and bottom to the transom, it creates a massive girder across the transom to stop it flexing.

So after cutting out the old well floor, I laid up a new one giving it a bit of a V to promote drainage, and then scribed and fettled it until it fitted neatly
    IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3648.jpg IMG_3649.jpg

Then glassed it in from the top:
    IMG_3652.jpg

Happy with that. If I'd left it, we'd be asking for trouble. I don't think the transom would have held up with the XL leg...

That left enough time to glass in the WC floor:
    IMG_3655.jpg

and the cabin floor:
    IMG_3656.jpg

And that's enough for the day...

Next, I take the back of the boat off again, prepare the underside of the new well floor and glass it in properly, prepare the back of the boat for permanent refitting, fit fuel tank cradles under the well area, flow coat and fit bilge pump then refit back of boat.

Interesting to see how long that takes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glassing the floor is good hey? all nice and flat and downhill, so much easier than sides and upside down shit.

Ausfish Silver Member

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, so I took the back deck off again and gave it a good grind and glassed the underside to complete the repair:

Here it is ready for the grinder:
    IMG_3659.jpg

And here after the glassing was finished:
    IMG_3660.jpg IMG_3661.jpg

So it's all prepped now and ready for glassing back in place and flow-coating.

I tidied up a few little jobs at the back of the boat, so now I think the deck is about ready to go on permenantly.
    I just want to glass a couple of stops in place to locate a 50 litre plastic tank and to glass in a 3/4" pad for mounting the fuel filter and whatever else I can think of...