Thread: Moto guide x15 no gps

Moto guide x15 no gps

So I installed a motorguide x15 and headed off to the coast for a week and am here now

The unit won’t connect to gps
    Works fine in manual mode but the gps icon won’t light up

Done the reset options and so on with no luck

Ch marine Havnt returned my phone call aame as mercury

No local merc dealer here so will have to chase it up when I get home next week

Just thought I’d ask in case someone has had it happen too

So it’s a brand new unit that is disconnected from battery to charge via a Anderson plug
    So shouldn’t have caused any issues with charging it

Re: Moto guide x15 no gps

Can you confirm the nmea connections and that the nmea plugs are set up correctly ?
    I guess you know about the "end termination" ?
    From memory - a new device found on the network would be prompted on whatever MFD or gps device you have. But that may depend on the brand you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they use NMEA2000 - in which case if they follow the specs properly there will be a backbone consisting of 3 tee pieces (at a minimum), 2 terminators, leads to your devices and a power lead. You need to initially check the device list for NMEA2000 on your MFD with everything powered up and see whether the motor is there or not. How you proceed will depend on the results.

Sorry for the delayed response

It’s not connected via nema to my lowrance gear
    Its just running off its own gps in the head of the electric

Found a merc dealer but who I bought from never registered the product three days and six phone calls later they have done it

Gps module on the head is faulty and needs replacing, they tried to do a reset and software update via a plug in dongle thing
    I thanked them for trying even though merc won’t reimburse them and they wouldn’t take payment from me for their time
    so dropped a carton of beer back to them

Have a repairer in Wagga booked in in three weeks time to fix it

Too bad it's not sorted for your week away, at least you've sorted the issue.
    For my own info, is there an external input for an nmea plug on the unit ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply

The x15 has an external plug

Finally got it fixed last week. Only took 8 weeks

Needed a new gps module in the head as was doa when I got it

I was chatting to a dealer about a new TM the other day and he told me that he had stopped selling MK Ulterra's due to chronic issues with the self deploy units...….
    He extolled the virtues of the rival MG ..

When I asked him if they had any issues of their own...he mentioned that the Gps modules had a habit of failing due to moisture ingress.....he explained that MG would ,graciously, just replace the unit......I just don't know what happens when your 2 year warranty expires ,though, even when its a known problem....

Steve, what also appears to be common is the possibility of an extended wait for repairs/replacement parts of both MG and MK depending on whether they are readily available in the country...

8 weeks waiting is just bullshit to repair a brand new unit......

they tried to charge me for the repair due to merc not having my product registered, which is suppose to be done by the selling agent who i had asked four times to do.
    its a $700 repair part and labour full retail

anyway sorted that bit with a few phone calls overall not a happy experience

My old water snake died recently and I have no idea what I’ll replace it with yet. With a fair few bad reports out about both makes has me worried what path I’ll take.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

with who will fix it quickly for you they all play up