Thread: VHF with AIS and DSC - Real world thoughts and who is using them?

VHF with AIS and DSC - Real world thoughts and who is using them?

I am considering an upgrade to my existing VHF. I am currently finishing re-configuring the dash and now would be the smart time to change this if ever.
    I currently have a slightly older (but fully operation Icom radio). It has DSC but is on the older technology, so I understand is not too accurate at pin pointing an exact location. It could interface to the plotter via NMEA1083, but is not.

The newer option I have is also an Icom unit but higher specification. It has NMEA 2000 connectivity (I wilhave an extensive network for it to interface directly to), the latest DSC technology (so quite accurate I understand) and also has full AIS functions.
    Obviously the newer option is better from a "maximum safety" perspective. I also assume AIS could make me more visible at night etc to larger vessels (particularly if on anchor etc).

So I am wondering, how many people actively have DSC and some form of AIS properly connected on their trailer boats?
    How many people use and or find the AIS a useful thing to have, worth spending a few extra dollars on?

The use of these seem a little more prominent in the US, but there is a lot more boat traffic potentially. However I can't seem to find many opinions in Aus for the use (or non use) of these.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Re: VHF with AIS and DSC - Real world thoughts and who is using them?

So it all depends on what you want to use it for. a VHF with AIS will have DSC as well. so.. kind of a win win in that regaurd. if you are looking to be able to track other vessels easier.. sure AIS is going to be the one for you. its uptake is glacially slow in australia "partually due to getting an MMSI number requires a VHF lisence and people are pretty....ho hum.. with getting to a course for a lisence" and partually due to Transponders being a bit more costly. it is and will be getting more easier over time.

Id forgo a vhf with built in AIS. in favor of a decent radio with a AIS transponder system. i can reccomend the Vesper AIS 8000XB if you want a solid performing unit.

alternitivly yeah VHF with built in class b AIS recieve is a cheaper option to go

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I had a Lowrance Link 8 interfaced with one of their 7 inch combos via NMEA0183. I thought it was pretty cool having the AIS data displayed on the map with triangles showing other vessels and course details. Also was good that the GPS in the combo told the radio where we were so if the DSC red button was pushed, live position data went out. The radio via AIS could also display ship data on displacement, speed, course etc.
    As a daytime bay runner tho it was more a novelty than a necessity.
    Note that I had no AIS transponder so my vessel was not displayed on others as I assume yours won't be as the transponders are a different matter and require more hardware.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Id forgo a vhf with built in AIS. in favor of a decent radio with a AIS transponder system. i can reccomend the Vesper AIS 8000XB if you want a solid performing unit.

alternatively yeah VHF with built in class b AIS recieve is a cheaper option to go
    Ouch, just looked them up, as you say, not the cheapest solution for stand alone. Why do you suggest AIS stand alone to the VHF?
    Re radio license, yes, aware I will need to get that and planned to do ain any case. I understand the MMSI is free to obtain etc, provided your licenced.

I guess I was considering it because I could do it without too much cost. The real question is whether I need it (probably not) or can justify it as a nice to have (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    ... As a daytime bay runner tho it was more a novelty than a necessity.....
    ....Note that I had no AIS transponder so my vessel was not displayed on others as I assume yours won't be as the transponders are a different matter and require more hardware.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I figure this will be most use if staying out overnight on the reef etc. Particularly in areas that may have commercial shipping close by, say out of Mooloolaba etc.

I understood the radio I was looking at (with MMSI number etc) transmits as well as receives with AIS. So other vessels would see me (although I understand you can disable your visibility if you don't want to be seen). I will double check that, as I was aware not all did.

First up - there is no difference in the accuracy - it's just a different electronic communication protocol. Interfacing to your plotter would primarily be to allow your radio to send a DSC message with your position in it. Some did have "track your buddy" type functions (you need the other vessels MMSI) and may allow the GPS to display an emergency target when an alert is received but that would be about all.

VHF incorporating AIS is newer - the individual devices though aren't and while AIS on trailerable fishing rigs is newish (most wouldn't spend the money and don't want others to track them), it has been readily accepted by the coastal cruising brigade. There wouldn't be too many serious coastal cruisers that don't have it these days. Pretty much all larger commercial maritime vessels have it but a lot of trawlers don't - primarily for the same reasons rec anglers don't. If you have a habit of fishing offshore at night or in areas that see heavy shipping traffic, it is something worth serious consideration - it can always be shut down if you don't want people finding your "spot X" - which they have already because they pinged you on radar .

Thanks scottar.
    I had read on the hull truth that the older protocol (RTCM-SC101) output accuracy is to less decimal places, and was accurate to 1.5 miles or something to that effect. I will need to look up the post and can put a link.

Whereas the new DSC protocol (DSC D I think it was or similar) was very accurate for location.

I didn’t think this had any relevance to the AIS data.

Does that make sense???

All good - found the article and honestly don't know. Most of the DSC sets I have used in anger are class A (GMDSS) which typically work to at least 2 decimals if memory serves me correctly. If the article is factually correct (which Jim prides himself in to the point of being painful) then it is a definite possibility. Only way to know for sure would be to do a test call in a controlled workshop environment if keeping your existing set was of interest - unless Icom can provide information.

Unless you are tangling with serious commercial traffic on a regular basis, AIS is not worth the money. AIS receiver on the other hand is a nice to have (especially for night trips), but still no replacement for a set of eyes on deck. However anything that provides some situational awareness on water is a good thing in my opinion. When you are tired on watch on a commercial ship, AIS is a godsend.

DSC can be a handy thing if you have an emergency, and is worth it IMO. Its now mandatory if you are racing yachts here in Australia.

If you got the money to burn, then I would go both AIS and DSC. IF not, get the best you can afford.

On reviewing further, the radio I am looking at is AIS receive only. But if I can get it for the reduced price listed, will go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk