Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weighbridge BMT figures

Re: Weighbridge BMT figures

All the info helps people get a realistic tow figure and also calculate what type of breaking system is required.
    Thanks mate

That’s interesting. Don’t these boats come packaged with a 2t trailer? The reef runner?
    Last edited by Paul071978; 04-04-2019 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, they do. Now, mine is a fairly heavy fitout, with the 1500w 305mm Tuffwinch up front, reinforced hardtop with the Rupp outrigger bases fitted, the craypot winch ( which is removable and only on while I have pots in the water), and a water bladder w/electric pump to shower. ptrobably only 20 litres of water in the bladder at the moment. Bt, going on the GTM of 2300 kg weighed, I think you'd be battling to get down to the 1999kg ATM rating of the standard trailer package usually offered. Maybe with a bare fitout, no tabs, winch, and no gear on board. Or much fuel. And remember the standard trailer is at least 70 kg less than mine Tare, perhaps more. People go to great lengths to avoid the breakaway EOH brakes requirement of the over 1999 kg rating, and they will live in denial of the true weight of their trailer. And the dealers are complicit in it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I justed checked on the trailer manufacturers website, and the one fitted as the standard package from the dealer here weighs in at 480 Tare, so 200kg lighter than mine at 680 kg. So there's 200 kg difference, which gos some way to explaining this. ut still marginal with norml safety gear and full fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I justed checked on the trailer manufacturers website, and the one fitted as the standard package from the dealer here weighs in at 480 Tare, so 200kg lighter than mine at 680 kg. So there's 200 kg difference, which gos some way to explaining this. ut still marginal with norml safety gear and full fuel.
    Oh ok so with full tank of fuel and a large empty esky plus fishing and safety gear would be under 2t

Don’t forget that some trailer manufacturers are very light-on with their TARE weights. I would be extremely surprised if a HDG trailer to suit a 6.4m glass boat could be as light as 480kg. If it was, I would look at a better trailer if buying, as there would have to be a lot of good stuff missing!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Platinum Member

I would argue that the one under discussion is inadequate. It is running 90mm c-channel sides,dual slipper springs, over-ride brakes and 13" wheels. A really good design, IMO, within its ratings, I just wanted the heavier rating and proper load sharing rocker/roller suspension.

So mine has 125mm channel, ( with bracing across the channel), Load-sharing suspension, 14" rims and steel guards, and EOH braking. The basic frame design is still the same, great for drive-on. My side frames would be twice the weight of the lighter one.

This is the layout of mine, rear view and side view. The other one has an identical layout. Now, the tare doesn't really come into it, IMO, as long as you don't overload it and the design is right. IF you can find a 6.4 m boat that comes well within the rated ATM/GTM, you would be fine. BTW, 6.4 was the max for that trailer, I'd say it would be better suited to 5.7 to 6m.

Here's a quck quiz. Spot what is wrong with the setup on the bare trailer pic. It took me a while to realise it, made a big difference.

Can't see a motor there

I would argue that the one under discussion is inadequate. It is running 90mm c-channel sides,dual slipper springs, over-ride brakes and 13" wheels. A really good design, IMO, within its ratings, I just wanted the heavier rating and proper load sharing rocker/roller suspension.

So mine has 125mm channel, ( with bracing across the channel), Load-sharing suspension, 14" rims and steel guards, and EOH braking. The basic frame design is still the same, great for drive-on. My side frames would be twice the weight of the lighter one.

This is the layout of mine, rear view and side view. The other one has an identical layout. Now, the tare doesn't really come into it, IMO, as long as you don't overload it and the design is right. IF you can find a 6.4 m boat that comes well within the rated ATM/GTM, you would be fine. BTW, 6.4 was the max for that trailer, I'd say it would be better suited to 5.7 to 6m.

Here's a quck quiz. Spot what is wrong with the setup on the bare trailer pic. It took me a while to realise it, made a big difference.
    Boat is missing on the first pic. That would make a big difference

More fall on the rear centring guides??

Unfortunately this habit dealers have of supplying trailers that either just do the job or were never up to the job is pretty widespread. I have seen some that were obviously way below what was required over the years

Ausfish Platinum Member

It's the front wobble roller on the RHS. It was mounted back to front--they have a stopper on one side, and are weighted so they should fall towards the centreline. This was mounted so it wanted to fall outwards, kept getting wrong side of the strake and didn't want to drive on straight. Fixed that, a few tiny tweaks including height of front centre vee-guide. Drives on a dream now. Took me 6 months to work it out Doh.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Unfortunately this habit dealers have of supplying trailers that either just do the job or were never up to the job is pretty widespread. I have seen some that were obviously way below what was required over the years
    Had an interesting conversation with a trailer manufacturer the other day on this topic. I had emailed them hoping to get an exact part number for a hub disc assembly so I could buy a spare to carry on long trips. The owner rang me back. We got onto the topic of ratings, and I mentioned my recent weighbridge results. He said he wished there were more like me--the dealers just say they want a trailer rated for X kg. They want the cheapest, and not necessarily something with a margin. If more people weighed their BMT's , pressure might go back on the dealers when people realise they have been sold something which is not necessarily fit for purpose.
    I've seen the story, first hand, of the buyer of a brand new Bar Crusher. Normal safety gear, full fuel, was over. Confronted the salesman, he actually laughed and said " don't fill it right up"

Ausfish Platinum Member

Anyway, I can add a few more weighbridge numbers to this from previous boats.

Swiftcraft Dominator, F115 Yamaha, tote tanks. 1550 kg ATM AFTER I had converted it to tandem with OEM parts and had it re-certified by manufacturer to 1800kg. . Was originally on a 1200Kg single axle

Quintrex Navigator 600 CC with a 90Hp Yamaha 2-stroke. 150 litre underfloor tank half full, all gear, 1500 KG ATM on a very sturdy trailer I built myself.

480kg for a 6.4 trailer seems incredible.

I’ve got a 5.3 sig with a very sturdy 1650kg single axle easytow trailer and that trailer is 400kg.

My last boat was a 6.3 mtr Haines hunter and that had an ALLOY trailer which was 480kg.
    My last big steel trailer was under a 6.3 whittley ( Clearwater) and that easytow was 800kg tare.

I’ve had enough of borderline trailers.
    Mate just bought a well known platey console (5m) that he ordered the higher weight trailer for, but they supplied with the standard lower rated trailer anyways. Did the sums, figured he had about 30kg after a full fuel tank before he was in trouble. Had to press the matter with dealer but is now getting the trailer he ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

It's the front wobble roller on the RHS. It was mounted back to front--they have a stopper on one side, and are weighted so they should fall towards the centreline. This was mounted so it wanted to fall outwards, kept getting wrong side of the strake and didn't want to drive on straight. Fixed that, a few tiny tweaks including height of front centre vee-guide. Drives on a dream now. Took me 6 months to work it out Doh.
    I saw that but didn't give it any thought. Plenty of manufacturers over here don't bias their roller cradles. It doesn't take much to catch a strake and cause grief.