Thread: Diesel outboard

Diesel outboard

This is the go check this out
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Diesel outboard

Does look the goods, How heavy and how many $$$$?

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    This is the go check this out
    great video, hahahaha

two things stand out. No 50-90hp version and the rigging is still last century.

List price of $74k for the 200hp oxe.....cheap as chips....almost.
    Jack.

absolutely true, you got it... diesel on a rib LOL love his enthusiasm...should be very good torq low down , would be good for the bigger boats 7mtr class

He is raving about the hydraulic gearbox Evinrude had hydraulic gearboxes in 1970's

Love the idea tho 40% more fuel economy over a modern 4 stroke thats crazy

I think this technology should have came out in the 1990-2000 era its going to be short lived with electric outboards in close view

Diesel outboards have been around in all sorts of HP for years, but, the simple fact is you can't get away from the fact it's a diesel, and that equates to weight and expense, two things boaters don't like, any advantages get forgotten as soon as $70+ grand is mentioned, or much heavier than anything else.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Solution looking for a problem, IMO. Diesel can't beat modern fourstroke outboard design for efficiency. Extra couple of hundred kg over the front of your fourby mightn't matter, but weight certainly matters on a transom. And small engine diesel technology is meeting its end , emission requirements are taking care of that. Diesel robustness disappears as you go down in weight and up in output, and maintenance gets very expensive, and more frequent. Anyone who doesn't belive me, just google DPF and read the horror stories. I could just about throw a whole motor in my 4.2 TD Patrol for what a DPF repair can cost you on a current gen diesel.

Yeah I kind of agree, my old standard diesel 80 series just went forever, I sold it with well over 500k on it, and it's still going strong, but, my current 3L Prado goes great, but it's never ending (expensive) gizmos that need replacing regularly, even though this is not the engines fault as such, they have a dicky filter between the fuel tanks that no one replaces until it stuffs up, and a dumbass pump between the tanks that's supposed to be replaced at 150K and it costs a lot to replace it, because it's a huge job.

The three big diesel brands hitting our shores soon have some real redeaming features. the argument that they are heavy and expensive is shrugworthy.... the market for single fuel for big boats and long life torquey motors has plenty of people with cash.
    i dont think Oxe or Cox or naider are expecting to beat the japanese brands or mercury etc .

I for one quite like these diesel outboards

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Solution looking for a problem, IMO. Diesel can't beat modern fourstroke outboard design for efficiency. Extra couple of hundred kg over the front of your fourby mightn't matter, but weight certainly matters on a transom. And small engine diesel technology is meeting its end , emission requirements are taking care of that. Diesel robustness disappears as you go down in weight and up in output, and maintenance gets very expensive, and more frequent. Anyone who doesn't belive me, just google DPF and read the horror stories. I could just about throw a whole motor in my 4.2 TD Patrol for what a DPF repair can cost you on a current gen diesel.
    He made a comment that it is targeted at tenders for the big super yachts. Something about issues with carrying petrol(gasoline) for the smaller boats. Anyone with a super yacht probably wouldn't be too worried about the cost.

Might be the go for those that need to store fuel

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    He made a comment that it is targeted at tenders for the big super yachts. Something about issues with carrying petrol(gasoline) for the smaller boats. Anyone with a super yacht probably wouldn't be too worried about the cost.
    Use of petrol can certainly be an issue in some circumstances. Diesel can be much easier to access. Certainly on land, but the superyatch scenario is a possibility, then that falls down....what do they fuel their jetskis with? These things usually have a fleet of them

Interesting but isn't the automotive world going cold on diesel? The idea of diesel electric hybrid cars even seems to have died. Keeping them inside emission regs has made them expensive to maintain, unreliable and probably short lived (in comparison to their low tech forebears)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk