Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the best largest boats under 2000kg BMT

Top largest glass boats under 2000kg BMT?

I bought my first boat recently (brand new Whittey CW1950, the hull is based on Savage Mako 5.5m). I'm enjoying the boat during this summer and love almost everything, however already noticed that I would prefer to go bigger/safer when heading far offshore, so already started doing research for my next boat (in 2-3 years).

My budget is up to $100k (less is always better) and ideally I want to stay within 2000kg bmt for easy towing and maintenance reasons. My current Whittley bmt is ~1600kg

Obviously will be testing each boat when the time comes, but for now, just to shortlist, what are some of the best boats I should look at first that fit the above criteria?

Re: What are the best largest boats under 2000kg BMT

I guess the only boat that will be big and light will be a pressed aluminium boat, but then, the "best" kind of doesn't fit, they will be OK, what size were you thinking of trying to go to?

Thanks Noelm, yes forgot to mention - must be glass!

As for the size, I want to go as big as possible, until I hit that 2ton BMT mark. So I guess something around 6.2-6.5m then?

My Haines sig 600f was over 2t once loaded. The 2t will be a big limiting factor.

Most 6 metre rigs in full battle trim will be over the magic 2t mark unless they area light build - may just get away with it if you go alloy trailer. CC595 BMT weight 2100 approx., Haines 602 - 1750kg plus, Seafarer Victory - over 2t every day of the week, Baysport 600 trailerable weight 1850 approx. and Yalta 2000 probably similar. Be very careful when taking weights from manufacturer spec sheets in regards to towing. Most are very vague (or totally vague) when it comes to what is or isn't included in the advertised "trailerable" weight. It's surprising just how quickly bits and pieces add up.

Search Moda boats.
    Jack.

I think in glass, the largest boat under the 2t BMT package would be the 5.2KC with ally trailer.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Top largest glass boats under 2000kg BMT?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    I bought my first boat recently (brand new Whittey CW1950, the hull is based on Savage Mako 5.5m). I'm enjoying the boat during this summer and love almost everything, however already noticed that I would prefer to go bigger/safer when heading far offshore, so already started doing research for my next boat (in 2-3 years).

My budget is up to $100k (less is always better) and ideally I want to stay within 2000kg bmt for easy towing and maintenance reasons. My current Whittley bmt is ~1600kg

Obviously will be testing each boat when the time comes, but for now, just to shortlist, what are some of the best boats I should look at first that fit the above criteria?
    I believe you need to re-thing an look to 2500kgs as you max and you will get what you want.

Shakey - I wish I lived closer to the coastline

Ausfish Platinum Member

Caribbean Reefrunner, 6.4m, usually comes with a 2200/1999 rated trailer package. Which means over-ride discs on both axles, not breakway. I bought mine with an upgrade , as I was a bit suss on how much it would weigh when fully loaded for a big trip away, and for reserve strength on the horror tracks I take it on. I can't easily put mine across a weighbridge as the nearest one is about 160k return trip. Brand new, with a basic fitout package will see you well under $100K. Brilliant boat, feels very big at sea. Deeply impresses all who go out in her. Worth a seatrial.

My observations are in line with most of the ones already given. Most 6 to 6.5 m glass boats are legal on 2t trailers until you fill them full of fuel, much less eskies, ice and gear. I've just gotten a quote of $3500 to upgrade from single axle cable override to alko full breakaway and a revised ATM of 2800 kg. For me its a no brainer that will help me sleep at night.

Cheers
    Craig

reef runner baby. 20 ft of supreme elegance..... second hand 49k bang . show me where to sign .

RE Reef runner 21ft f/g cabin boat at 2t BMT? Does that mean they’re skimping on the glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    RE Reef runner 21ft f/g cabin boat at 2t BMT? Does that mean they’re skimping on the glass?
    No - it simply means the dealer is "pulling a swifty" and quoting a cheaper trailer to win deals. Provided the respective buyer doesn't actually load the boat up - it's probably legal. Load it with gear, fuel, water, extra accessories though it will be like most others sold on 1990kg trailers - overweight. Dealer simply shrugs and says " It was legal when it left here". Buyer beware.

Sounds like something consumer affairs should investigate then. A reasonable person would expect a new boat package would be safe to tow once loaded with at least full tank of fuel and safety gear

Unfortunately it's a common practice, and in a way perfectly legal, the manufacturer states a certain weight (which you have to believe, who weighs new boats or cars?) the dealer supplies a motor at a known weight (probably also "fudged") adds a trailer as cheap as he can find that is labeled as being capable of being legal to carry that weight (which can also be somewhat fudged) and out the door it goes, what you do later is out of their control.