Thread: Tight steering, clean and lube.

Tight steering, clean and lube.

After sitting for 3months the steering had stiffened up. It was turned all the way to the left so couldnt use a hammer, pulled it out with a ratchet strap.

Taken the end of the cable out of the tilt tube, and the stiffness is coming from the last 3-4 inchs of the telescopic cable end.

Got it sitting upside down, sprayed as much wd40 into it as i can, its now soaking.
    Its freed up a bit, only slight resistance on the last 3-4 inchs.

Any suggestions as to what i should lube it with before i put it back togeather?

Re: Tight steering, clean and lube.

Auto trans fluid mate. Work that right into the internals. Also clean the tilt tube thoroughly. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

When I had cable steering had the same issue.

Got a 400mm or so length of 50mm plastic water pipe. Cap glued on one end. Drill hole in cap to allow steering cable to go thru neatly. Bung up around the cable entry to make it waterproof with silicon or blutac, putty etc. gaffer tape to support it. Hold it vertical.

Fill with ATF. Now wind the cable in and out by turning the steering wheel left and right. 50 times. Leave it standing up (supported) a couple of hours. Repeat. Again. Again.

the ATF will work its way into the cable and loosen it up really well. Might even have a bit come out at the helm end so watch for that. Rag.

We handed that contraption around amongst a few of us but I eventually threw it out after I got hydraulic steering.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Another way of getting oil into whole cable is the Dangar Stu method on YouTube using compressed air from helm end.

Cheers

I have said this many times and most don't agree, but, once the cable starts to bugger up, you are only buying time rooting around with it, toss it in the bin and buy a new one, less than an hour later, go boating for years again!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have said this many times and most don't agree, but, once the cable starts to bugger up, you are only buying time rooting around with it, toss it in the bin and buy a new one, less than an hour later, go boating for years again!
    Or better still get hydraulic steering like I did after I got tired of going through cables and helms.

PS: White lithium grease is the lubricant to use. It's the only lubricant Teleflex recommends.

Thanks for the great replys.

I think ill give the atf a try, i like sound of the pipe and cap idea.

Understand a new cable or hydraulic would be a better result but i think i can keep this one going for now.

Just went out and sprayed a bit more wd40 into it and gave it some turns.
    Turns really easy almost all the way, even the last bit is quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep definitely a good option.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Or better still get hydraulic steering like I did after I got tired of going through cables and helms.

PS: White lithium grease is the lubricant to use. It's the only lubricant Teleflex recommends.
    i suppose it would work on accelerator cables too?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

That Dangar method works well on all Morse cables. Cheers

Turns easy as now the whole way.
    Havent used any atf yet.