Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin VHF 110i problem with no MMSI

Garmin VHF 110i problem with no MMSI

I have a Garmin VHF 110i that is DSC compatible. It keeps sounding an alarm when turned on and about every hour requesting an MMSI. The message is 'No MMSI GPS alarm'. To stop the alarm I have to click invitation to ignore. But the alarm comes in again soon enough.

Does anyone else have the same unit and know how to overcome this? I can't seem to turn it off in the system settings. I think if I get an MMSI and enter it, this might fix it. But is it usual to have an MMSI in a fishing boat. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.IMG_20190217_114157301.jpgIMG_20190217_114229975.jpgIMG_20190217_114506505.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Garmin VHF 110i problem with no MMSI

I’m absolutely no expert, but have had a look at the owners manual as I have not heard of or seen these radios before, and they way I read it you have to enter the mmsi number to use the Digital Selective Calling (DSC) system. It also says you can disable the (DSC) by turning on the (ATIS) Automatic Transmitter Identification System, which is used in some inland waterways inEurope, but ATIS is prohibited outside the European inland waterways that are covered by the Basel Agreement.

I think you will need to enter a MMSI number.

I may well be wrong, but that’s how I read it. Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

There may be an option to disable in the menu but otherwise entering a MMSI (real or otherwise....oops did that come out loud) should shut it up. Is it hooked up to a GPS. If you want to do it properly you will need a MROCP or whatever it's being called these days and then make the application to AMSA. If you do pull a dodgy - make sure no one sends a DSC call.

You need to get a VHF license to get an MMSI. Theoretically you need a license to operate a VHF marine radio but it's not actively enforced. I guess Garmin looked at Australian regs and wrote their firmware with that in mind - any operator will have an MMSI. You could do worse than getting a license.
    Again theoretically, you could probably put any number in as the radio cant validate it...as long as you never did a DSC distress call. Of course it's all theoretical as I am reasonably sure doing so contravenes the telecommunications act in some way so am not suggesting such a practice....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apologies Scottar...you got in while I was typing. Wot he said....

One thing to be aware is that once you enter a number I don't think you can ever change it and that number may be in there permanently.

Not sure with Garmin but with Furuno there is always a way. Most electronics have resets that are reserved for dealer use. Worth a call to Garmin though if it is a point of concern.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have a LROCP licence and have applied to AMSA for the MMSI number. Wow that's a lot of acronyms! I think I also need to connect it up to the GPS to fix the GPS alarm as well.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Not sure with Garmin but with Furuno there is always a way. Most electronics have resets that are reserved for dealer use. Worth a call to Garmin though if it is a point of concern.
    I think. Read that with the Garmin you can have an authorised dealer re-set them.

Shakey - I wish I lived closer to the coastline

Does the radio have a GPS source....ie networked to a GPS in order to receive position data? It needs this in order to provide DSC.
    An NMEA to your GPS will do the job.

DSC is a waste of time and effort anyway, if you did a radio course they should have explained how DSC works and the requirements as an operator.

Good to see non of the above have done one

For DSC to work, firstly it has to be monitored by an appropriate rescue station
    toy have to log in with your DSC information
    if you happen to venture outside that stations monitoring range then it's all been a waste of time as no other station has your dsc info and is monitoring for your call

MSI and DSC = time wasted
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    DSC is a waste of time and effort anyway, if you did a radio course they should have explained how DSC works and the requirements as an operator.

Good to see non of the above have done one

For DSC to work, firstly it has to be monitored by an appropriate rescue station
    toy have to log in with your DSC information
    if you happen to venture outside that stations monitoring range then it's all been a waste of time as no other station has your dsc info and is monitoring for your call

MSI and DSC = time wasted
    Plenty of Coastguard's and VMR's actually do monitor DSC now Garry - not to mention every commercial vessel that falls under GMDSS requirements - so it's not a total waste of time. Personally I don't bother with it though(and do know plenty about it - much as you do Honda's ) as realistically if I am that far in the shit that I am relying on a single push button distress, I will be concentrating on grabbing an epirb and other goings on but it's the individuals choice.

Plenty of Coastguard's and VMR's actually do monitor DSC now Garry - not to mention every commercial vessel that falls under GMDSS requirements - so it's not a total waste of time. Personally I don't bother with it though(and do know plenty about it - much as you do Honda's ) as realistically if I am that far in the shit that I am relying on a single push button distress, I will be concentrating on grabbing an epirb and other goings on but it's the individuals choice.
    Well how do you explain how they can monitor DSC without your details, Unless you login with your DSC details... they have no means of being able to monitor you ????

DSC is not a national register, its only activated when you log in with the rescue facility in your area for the time you are at sea
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Well how do you explain how they can monitor DSC without your details, Unless you login with your DSC details... they have no means of being able to monitor you ????

DSC is not a national register, its only activated when you log in with the rescue facility in your area for the time you are at sea
    They don't need details for an emergency call - it goes out to everyone within range and then is quite often repeated by other stations. When I was at sea we would get emergency DSC calls on the radios fairly regularly - a lot of the time from further away than what would be considered "normal" VHF range.

Just to add - there is no formal government monitoring of VHF DSC in Australia which is why there has been no real formal education program regarding it's use. There is formal monitoring for HF radio. It is up to local VMR groups as to whether they want to monitor DSC or not but it is becoming more common that they do. Bit of light reading https://navshack.wordpress.com/tag/how-does-dsc-work/

They don't need details for an emergency call - it goes out to everyone within range and then is quite often repeated by other stations. When I was at sea we would get emergency DSC calls on the radios fairly regularly - a lot of the time from further away than what would be considered "normal" VHF range.
    Wrong !!!!!
    Garry