Thread: Teltale Water Temp - 50hp Mercury 2 Stroke

Teltale Water Temp - 50hp Mercury 2 Stroke

Advice please …

Is anyone able to advise how warm the water coming out of the telltale should be (2004 50hp tiller mercury 2 stroke)? I started my motor for the first time in a while (maybe 12mths) and ran the motor in a tank. The telltale was strong but I thought it might be a bit hot. I could not hold my hand under it after the motor had been running for a while (about 2mins). Should this be the case ?

… advice appreciated …

Naurts

Re: Teltale Water Temp - 50hp Mercury 2 Stroke

Sounds about the same for the old evinrude 2 strokes I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

If it has a thermostat change that, the water should be warm never to hot to hold your hand under it

The hot water from 2 strokes is good! My old 2 stroke saved the day for me when I was untangling some unknown horrible spikey little fish from my castnet and got stung severely. Hurt like hell until I started the motor and stuck my hands under the hot water stream for a while.

No hot water anywhere from my new 4 stroke 🤔

Was the water in the tub getting hot, if not it sounds like the thermostat wasn't open.
    Maybe you should have run it a little longer or if the tub was hot give it a run in the water.

should be warm. if its hot could be spiders or mud wasps inside, blow out with air compresser around the water pick up... you havent started it for 12 months so check that first , than may as well just rip of the thermostat for good measure....

the telltale being hot enough to not touch is not a issue as we can only cope with 60-70 degree water for short periods of time
    this is no where near boiling temps

if there is no warmth to the water then the thermostat is stuck open

get a thermometer and test it

The tell tale temp has nothing to do with being a two stroke or a four, it depends entirely where the water is taken from, most do not run through the motor completely and do not alter temp or volume according to thermostat operation, some Mercs do operate through the thermostat and will run and slow flow volume and temp depending on motor operation, most Yamaha's have the take off well before engine cooling takes place, you can have a blockage and subsequent overheat, yet still have a strong tell tale, there is a lot at play in what goes on.

Ausfish Platinum Member

As Noelm says, there is a lot to it.You can totally be without a telltale on some motors and it doesn't matter--the cooling water may still be fine, just not getting the pisser. Or vice-versa, best to know what your motor does. Try pulling the thermostat out altogether, just as a test. I seem to recall my older 2-strokes ran a hot tell-tale, would steam on cold mornings.