Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Pod's Load and Torque Testing

Re: Aluminum Pod's Load and Torque Testing

Thanks Noel, 6mm almost maxes out my machine 8mm is probably right at the machines limit think im going to get some 8mm 100x100mm and build a small box to see if i can fill in the 8mm open outside corner welds before i commit to a sheet of alloy

or you could do a tube pod if you dont need the buoyancy

How about tacking it together and getting someone to fully weld it for you?

That would blow out the budget Noel i watched Welding Tips and Tricks on Youtube the guy said welders charge per inch of weld, for a shop to weld the pod i would probably be looking at $1000 probably a good 3 to 4 meters of welding

i contacted the local aluminium place they can do half a sheet for $300 of 8mm and cuts are free

Heres a bait tank i tig welded about 4 years ago i had impurities due to me cutting the alloy on the grass with a saw i used for wood, if a shop cuts my shapes i should be fine, this was 4mm sheet than the second picture i welded some 40x3mm round tubing and tested my welds they didn't split the whole weld just bent in

i think what i need to do is focus on the rod feeding rather than feed with my fingers i should just use what rod i can hold than stop and let the aluminium cool down than resume u can see the weld washing out when i run out of rod to dab in the puddle

the thicker the alloy the easier it is for me to weld i have a bit more practice up my sleeve since i welded that bait tank

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I will aim for something like this with the wings on the sides maybe even incorporate a live bait tank into the side wings now that's an idea
    hey mate to keep things simple , perhaps just attach a bilge pump on your pod wings to pick up water and into a portable live bait bin in the boat..

Actually i can tig weld steel piece of piss i am thinking of going 4mm steel plate instead of the aluminium, possibly gal the pod but the most important bit about making my own pod is the strength in the welds i am very confident in steel, i could use a plywood between the outboard and pod to stop electrolylsis

Cat yeah i think the built in bait tank was just a dream lol it would be nice to incorperate one but i would have to lean over the back of boat to get to it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah true Noel, i am thinking all 6mm alloy with the rearengine mounting plate either 20mm or 25mm solid plate unsure on what internal frame structure to use tho as i cant see inside any pods online
    the inside of the pod would require angaline gussets and diagonal bracing....you could do the bottom ,sides front and back and then weld in the bracing and then finish off with the top hat (sheet in place) install a inspection hatch on top lid so you can get to the through bolts from the transom and bolts from the outboard, dont forget the sikaflex, and then when all is tight use threaded tape on your inspection lid and it will be air tight, no water will seep in , but if it does due to whatever, thats why the hatch is there to inspect and resolve. alternatively if your worried about your welds and fear the pods leaking then fill up with ping pong balls for floatation or similar, your welding looks to be very good, you could do the pod yourself... use 6mm to 8mm sheet and it will be strong as.

Not too sure about a steel pod, and galvanising is not exactly cheap either.

forget the steel pod . dont even go there

Yeah i'll give it a crack going alloy i'll try draw something up tomorrow and see what the alloy factory can do for me, just realised my machine should be able to weld the 8mm because its a open V corner weld i may just need multiple passes of the weld

Are there any problems with making a basic box or rectangle pod? the ones i am seeing online all have a V on the bottom of the pod i want to avoid complications in welding this V seem and just run a flat bottom

when u say gussets what kind? i have seen round bar welded in the top right to lower left and top left to lower right as in bracing but it's a little unclear some just run a strait box with no additional bracing inside

seriously just buy one once you add the alloy the materials and the gas buying one is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    seriously just buy one once you add the alloy the materials and the gas buying one is cheaper
    Get out of here with logic like that

Matt

you cant use a box theres multiple angles involved, transom isnt vertical you need internal ribs and so on

just import a jacking plate from the states and bolt it to your completed transom
    you really are going about this arse about face with all the jumping and changing, with a pod you have also altered the cog of the boat pushing the engine back 400-600mm.
    and with your plan to put a 60l fuel tank at the transom its going to be a arse heavy pig of a thing thats going to bury the powerhead in any slop at rest.