Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Pod's Load and Torque Testing

Aluminum Pod's Load and Torque Testing

I have a bit on my plate atm but i currently have two ac/dc tig machines both have all the bells and whistles that i can only understand half off going to sell both welders and buy a basic 185amp to 200amp machine without all the knobs and this and that and use either pre heat or helium gas to weld the thicker 8mm plate and 20mm backing pates on the pod

any idea on who can test a pod for torsional twisting and load rating?

thinking about make a few possibly one for my boat after i test my transom, there is a guy on ebay selling them take a look at his welds omfg absolute shit house he even actually grinds down some welds on the pods for ascetics or to hide the mig welding process mine will be all tig

this is one of my machines to many variables

Re: Aluminum Pod's Load and Torque Testing

Don't know much about prices, but from experience and observation, second hand tools are not worth a lot, why not try to sort out all the gizmos? There is a bit to making a pod, not just from a strength point, the transom angle and the motor mount angle have to be right, plus the bottom shape needs to be OK for the boat to get mounting height right, it's certainly possible to make them at home, I know a few who have done it with good results.

I know over half of the setting but when i want a quality weld these welders have to many variables there are basic machines out of China with 3 dials i think they'll be much better

Sent off an email yesterday to a marine architect to see what they would charge to throw a design together i'm sure they would have a CAD program that would work out the load ratings for a specific design

the variables are there so you can weld properly to suit the matiarls and conditions.

tbh i doubt much thought goes into many designs in the "marine industry"

you are going to have to give the architect the parameters to begin with, and it will be boat engine specific

There is this really nice 19 foot CC down the road from my brothers which sparked my interest it has a basic square rectangle pod design all 45 degree sides it looks really nice and basic i was thinking along the same lines but maybe with a little wing type bit on the side as a little bit of bracing and a step up and over the transom

the Naval Architect got back to me and wants me to give them a call so i can get a price i will call on monday and let u both know what they say and how much they quote

that yellow welder i posted needs repairs so im going to try sell it and my other machine i have and hopefully buy a small hobby size machine that has minimal settings so i can focus on banging out some good welds rather than trying to figure out the machine

reason for the NA is i want the design done properly so the engine doesn't fall off

I will aim for something like this with the wings on the sides maybe even incorporate a live bait tank into the side wings now that's an idea

Not sure about the bait tank hanging out the back, adding a lot more leverage!

Yeah true Noel, i am thinking all 6mm alloy with the rearengine mounting plate either 20mm or 25mm solid plate unsure on what internal frame structure to use tho as i cant see inside any pods online

Most are just boxes, though some have gussets welded in.

the furtehr aft the weight of a live bait tank is the worse it is for handling

you will have to make the pod bigger to support the weight of the loaded tank and also to account for the lost bouyance that 60-100l of volume was taken from the pod itself

best location is inboard of the transom centerline of the boat

Just about to order the new welder i sold the one above today and have another ac/c tig to sell too, i have recouped some coin from the Etec about $1000 worth now still have a lot of parts left over will use any coin i get back for further parts on the six mm alloy plate for this pod

still need to scrub up on my aluminium cutting and sanding off the oxide layer last bait tank i welded came out ok but i kept getting porosity from the way i cut the alloy sheet on the grass think i will need to buy a dedicated cutting blade for alloy for the circular saw

Use stainless wire brushes and stuff, make sure you use high frequency (AC of course) pure Argon, no mixtures, with a good flow, weld indoors if possible to stop wind blowing Argon away, clean filler rod, good current and you should be right

Noel the pods u have seen built what thickness material were they using? I need to hang 175kg off it

Most are 6-8mm for larger outboards.