Thread: Startup Alarms

Startup Alarms

I have a 1999 Johnson 115 hp Oceanpro V4 (2 stroke)

Been searching and have had no luck, so I have come to the experts.

When first turning ignition key I would get a small alarm which I think was the start up process checking system.

For some reason I no longer get the alarm. My concern is that if no alarm at startup is the alarm malfunctioning and if oil or overheating occurs while at sea I will get no warning.

Is there anyone hear that can point me the actual alarm/buzzer and how do I check if is working.

Or is there something else I should be doing and if so what.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Startup Alarms

Depends on the installation, some have the "buzzer" in the control box, some have it mounted remotely, where does the sound appear to come from when it was working?

As Noel said. Locate the buzzer/beeper, put a multimeter across it when you turn the ignition on. if you get a momentary voltage reading and no beep, then that is probably the problem!

The beep you hear when you first turn the key is the self test for the actual horn.
    It's a 3 wire horn and the beep is momentarily switched electronically from within the horn.
    The horn is also switched on by remote sensors, like the vro, temp switches and oil level switch.\
    Ground one of the tan wires running to a temp switch on the head cover and the horn should sound when the key is on.
    That will tell you that the horn still works and it's getting power with the switch on and only it's self test function has failed. (Earlier models used a 2 wire horn with no self test)
    If grounding the tan wire doesn't sound the horn then the horn itself has failed or it's not getting power from the key switch.

My mates with the quintrex i talk about from time to time have just had their alarm go off its a Yamaha 115hp 2 banger and the problem was the safety lanyard switch they give it a jiggle unhook hook back up a few times and alarm goes away

Yamaha lanyard activates alarm, Johnson doesn't, as mentioned, try the temp sender first, it's easy to do.

My old omc motor had this happen. New buzzer fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    My old omc motor had this happen. New buzzer fixed it.
    Thanks to all.

Scott not knowing a lot about these motors is the problem. Where do I find the buzzer and what does it look like

Have you tried testing the alarm as suggested in post #4? best to start at the beginning before you go pulling things to bits, not sure about your exact device, but most are simply a round gizmo with two or three wires, your will probably have three?
    Last edited by Noelm; 16-02-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Typo

http://britishpanto.org/wp-content/u...ry-diagram.jpg it’s abit earlier than yours but may give you a clue where to look . My 140 Suzi 2 stroke had a buzzer floating around the console of my ski boat and one of the wire on the back corroded and came of leading to catastrophic failure in the motor , but that’s another story . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Easy way to test the alarm. Run it in the backyard without water, floor the throttle to redline, if you get the heads glowing red and the alarm doesn’t go off it’s probably faulty.
    Either that or as above check it with either a mul timeter on start or apply 12v on the buzzer direct.
    I like the circuit above, was lookin for the lv ac for the heaters, then realised it’s a two stroke and doesn’t have valves.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Thanks to all.

Scott not knowing a lot about these motors is the problem. Where do I find the buzzer and what does it look like

Run the test as per Fed's post first just to confirm - tan wire for over temp on a sensor near the cylinder head is usually pretty easy to get at - post a pic if you want to confirm first. The buzzer location is either in your control unit or it will be mounted up under the dash - all depends on which control unit you have.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...rn&FORM=IDINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Have you tried testing the alarm as suggested in post #4? best to start at the beginning before you go pulling things to bits, not sure about your exact device, but most are simply a round gizmo with two or three wires, your will probably have three?
    Thanks Noel. Now that I have an idea what I’m looking at I will go searching and try and perform the t st as outlined in #4

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Run the test as per Fed's post first just to confirm - tan wire for over temp on a sensor near the cylinder head is usually pretty easy to get at - post a pic if you want to confirm first. The buzzer location is either in your control unit or it will be mounted up under the dash - all depends on which control unit you have.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...rn&FORM=IDINTS
    Thanks for the link Scott

Shakey - I wish I lived closer to the coastline

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    The beep you hear when you first turn the key is the self test for the actual horn.
    It's a 3 wire horn and the beep is momentarily switched electronically from within the horn.
    The horn is also switched on by remote sensors, like the vro, temp switches and oil level switch.\
    Ground one of the tan wires running to a temp switch on the head cover and the horn should sound when the key is on.
    That will tell you that the horn still works and it's getting power with the switch on and only it's self test function has failed. (Earlier models used a 2 wire horn with no self test)
    If grounding the tan wire doesn't sound the horn then the horn itself has failed or it's not getting power from the key switch.
    Thanks Fred - I’ll get onto it.

Shakey - I wish I lived closer to the coastline