Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aldi heads Up

Aldi heads Up

IMG_1595.jpg
    Heres a recent purchase from Aldi for under $5.00 , only bought it as it looked the goods for a Whiting Filletting Knife . Purchased two just for the fun of it and here is a Pic of my Martini below which cost near $80.00 ex BCF.
    IMG_1596.jpg

The Martini is a proven winner by a Country mile as did purchase it for my Whiting Filletting Knife and another recent addition to the familly was a Suehiro Cerax 3030 1000 griit "Brick " as its been Nicknamed and deservadly so as not only looks like a Brick it almost is in size ( 8.85x3.54"x2.36") and weight .
    The latest Love Child from the Suehiro Corp in Wetstones and if anyone is interested can give a full review or thoughts on this stone as it was a Stone i just couldnt rest till i tried it out and try it out i did on the Aldi knife above .
    Normally for a new kniofe i want to add a new Bevel and hone to my liking i would start off with either a Naniwa 400 or the Cerax 320 grit stone (Another Love Child from the Suehiro Corp)..
    This time i wanted to start the process off with the newly purchased medium grit "Brick " .
    What can i say as maybe i should have bought the lot lol as at end of day wanst much difference in Filletting aprox fifty odd Whiting between the two knives .
    Mindyou i think i know which of the two will outlast the other ?? , but for the price ??..
    Not a bad buy for the Tinny..
    Will maybe try do a Video Clip on how sharp both these Kanives cut ??..
    Anyhow had to spread the word ..

Re: Aldi heads Up

You would wonder just how they produce a functional (holds a decent edge) knife for five bucks and turn a profit.

Sounds like a good score.

A knife I dont have to worry too much about if it goes for a swim ey. Mindyou K Mart had some Jarvis Walker 7" inch filetting knives till recently for $5.00 each whilst elsewhere they were selling for up to $15.
    Think they do it to get you into their store where you will spend $$ whilst in there.

I use those $5 Kmart ones in the tinny, and as a leave in the boat knife, they are pretty damn good for the price, and you don't cry when some visitor starts cutting frozen crab bait or runs them along the stainless table at the ramp.

Too True mate and far as knife quallity with all elcheapos , you get what you pay for ey but yes those KMart ones i purchased a shyteload , for each member of the familly and Outlaws lol.. Most used knife in the kitchen that the Missus uses and keeps her away from my good knives lol..
    Put them over the stones and as you know they get a good edge on them..

Test re clip regarding the Martinni after a session on the Wetstones ..
    MOV_0034_002 by Papou Panayiotis, on Flickr

Left click and should load ..
    And the Aldi blade came up just as sharp , mindyou time will tell as to edge retention..
    With knives i mostly strop to keep sharpness of blade where it should be , but with filletting , removing head or wings from fish as the blade slows a tad only time i use a Steel and a smooth Diomond Steel at that..

do they rust ?

Would be good to have on the boat to knock the fillets off yakkas or slimies

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have had one in the boat for ages and it's OK, not exactly bright shiny, but still OK to use, not just a rusted mess.

cant say with the Aldi brand as still too early in the peice to say but the KMart Jarvis Walker blades , have had two on the Boat now fer yonks and still like new , mind you it stays in its sheath till needs to go to work.
    As for the slimies and yakkas the Aldi brand would be a treat especially after doing the Whiting the other day, the would slice like butter through them..

IMG_1623.jpg

Just finished a session on the second Aldi blade and if you look at the stones i used for this occasion you can see the size of the so called brick to the rear of the other stone i mentioned earlier
    IMG_1609.jpg

Mostly important you can see the amount of swarf this stone has removed from the blade , yep thats the Aldi blade in question. And a happy little Vegymite i am with this stone too . fast , Smooth and top Feedback..
    IMG_1599.jpg
    And thats Mud / Slurry /and swarf all mixed together with the 320 grit starters stone..

As I have said many times before, my knife sharpening skills mean rubbing it on the back step or the bench grinder, can't sharpen knives, chisels are anything else, my wife however does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    As I have said many times before, my knife sharpening skills mean rubbing it on the back step or the bench grinder, can't sharpen knives, chisels are anything else, my wife however does a great job.
    Dont worry about that mate as your not the only one doesit that way ey lol..
    Here;s another one brought out by Jarvis Walker ,bought from Anaconder and just as cheap. reason for purchase of this one was the seration top of the blade incase short of a scaler.
    Cant say as to how the edge retention on this one will last but it scares me more than the other two for scary sharpeness ey ..
    Maybe just had a good day on the stones day it got sharpened ???...
    Between Missus and i we are both just as clumsy when it comes to losing knives over the side hence the number of elcheapos for the Boat..

IMG_1626.jpg

I just checked the one in the tinny, it's just sitting in a bucket, it's about 6 months old and hardly rusty, it will get used tomorrow chopping up crab bait, so I just gave it an "edge" on a brick.

Hi all, ive worked in the meat game since 1976 and ive got to say its all about the steel and little re the stone, so long as you haven't got a shoulder on your edge and you use a reasonably fine stone its the steel that's brings the edge to a good cutting edge, every day I would cut through at least 800 metres of cattle hide all up and only sharpen my knife once, but I steel between each body..
    We use a Norton combination stone..
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/norton-2...stone_p5760641