Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aldi heads Up

Re: Aldi heads Up

Take a drive down past MM , down the road where the Sulphur plant ?? used to be (Big long Stack reaching up to the heavens ) if still there ??. Drive down far as you can and think its MM Beach ??. Take a left and drive far as you canand you come up to a Pilot House lookout or whatever it is.
    Down to the right the is a Rockwall and if you walk right down to it you will come to a rockledge . You will know it as there are little metal plaques with peoples names who hadnt kept an eye on the Waves or whatever and need not go any further .
    Spent plent an early Morning session of that Rockwall with fresh whole Prawns or fresh slimie filletts and every now and then some moistened laying pellets as a burly and the Snapper and Squire i would drive away with was .
    Cant see why they shouldnt still frequent the area but you need eyes 11 as My dad used to say keeping a watch in all direction and not be afraid to drop your fishing outfit and make a move.
    Rod n Reels are replaceable , bodies arent !!..
    Port Kembla Harbour stopped being much of a Fishing spot Yonks ago , overfished as well as poluted .
    If you Motor out of the Harbour and take a sharp left keeping a fair safe distance away from the wall and motor aprox ttwo thirds of the way down and sound for gravel bottom .
    Good Fresh Whole Prawns or Live Yakkas or slimies you will be surprised at the Trag that visit that one spot . Not alway there but pick a day which is overcast or a nice continuouse drizzle , light wind and give it a try..
    The old 14 ft Brooker came back in ample times with Good sized Trag onboard as well as Good sized Bream just off that one spot ey..

Once upon a time there was a tavern
    Where we used to raise a glass or two
    Remember how we laughed away the hours
    And think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they'd never end
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day
    We'd live the life we choose
    We'd fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way
    La la la la la la
    La la la la la la
    La la la la La la la la la la

Lol

Tellya what !! next time i visist the Gong i will certainly make it public if anyone wants a M&G or a Fish to go with it !!.. A good Bucketlist wish..

Yep MM beach (Metal Manufactuers), smoke stack long gone, that was at ER&S , later called Southern Copper, the Pilot station is still there, the harbour is very clean now, amazing amount of Mud crabs in there! Cruise ships come in pretty regularly now too, you can drive to "the cut" which is where they dug a channel to make the inner harbour, it's quite narrow and watching the big ships come in with three tugs is pretty exciting, it's also a prime live baiting spot, especially since you can fish right beside your car and not have to carry gear.

Mud map of that spot would be welcome ..

Thats it im going Fishing !! low tide aprox threeish , King tides though. Fish the change for a Whiting or two ..

Two small ha merhead sharks n a Blacktip Shark !!! Thats it , no Whiting or anything edible of value onboard.
    Next time !!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Mud map of that spot would be welcome ..
    I will see what I can dig up, but it's pretty easy to get to, just take the Harbour turnoff, on the south side, head to number 6 jetty, now called the "gateway" and just drive past, you come to the channel that links the outer harbour with the inner harbour, to your left is the iron ore berth, straight across the channel is the coal terminal and oil berth, there is always people fishing in the channel, because some good fish are caught, and it's super easy to get to.

Just got googlemaps up and i think you are refering to the little boat harbour adjascent to the southern breakwall on the inside unless mistaken , and see they have built a new little jetty off there ??..

Or is it an existing Jetty ??. last one down eastern end ??..

No, not near the boat ramp, move west to the inner harbour, there is a channel into the inner harbour that's where to fish, the little boat harbour has been there forever, the ramp was rebuilt about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Some time agao I bought a Ruixin Pro sharpener off Ebay . Cheap and cheerful cost about $40 and I also grabbed a set of diamond stones for about $12. I used to think I went all right with a stone ………..turns out not so much. Unless I can shave with it, it's not sharp now. I do also strop the blade with an old leather belt once I'm done.
    I used to be able to use a stone but these days can't hold the angle right.
    I was waiting for upgrades 6, 7 and 8 lol. Seems like a lot of work, maybe just buy a lot of $5 knives and when blunt get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I used to be able to use a stone but these days can't hold the angle right.
    I was waiting for upgrades 6, 7 and 8 lol. Seems like a lot of work, maybe just buy a lot of $5 knives and when blunt get rid of them.
    Lol, Makes sence mate . As for angles with wetstones , i never measure or try to make or use an angle finder. Lay your knife flat on the stone and very slowly pull the knife (blade trailing ) and raise it at the same time and you should feel the blade lock and load or grab where the bevel angle should be .
    Do that a few times and your fingers should develope muscle memory or you can just feel the indent on your thumb where the top of the blade leaves its mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    No, not near the boat ramp, move west to the inner harbour, there is a channel into the inner harbour that's where to fish, the little boat harbour has been there forever, the ramp was rebuilt about 20 years ago.
    Lost me

Christi drive is the name of the road that leads to the inner harbour, google maps calls it Tom Thumb Lagoon, because that's what they dug out to make the inner harbour back in the '60s maybe? the channel is quite short, but deep, lots of Tailor caught there spinning with metal lures, and John Dory are pretty common, but Jewfish are the prime target, there's no gates to go through, it's a public road with lots of parking, the tugs now berth near there and the Water Police are now near the boat ramp in the south eastern corner of the outer harbour.

LMAO lol , That Waterway heads right back up to Swan St and can remember a skinny lad shorts n singlet , couple 60 or so breaking strain handline , handfull of peices of steak or lamb Chop cut up in pieces at the start of it late afternoon up to his kanackers in mud chasing Eels for his old Man !!..
    Eels allright , like what bad dreams are made off but still managed to catch n bag so they coulod be skinned n hung on clothes line to dry out . Shyte tasting feckers !!..

Two Greek Lads , an Italian Lad and an Aussie Lad chasing Golf Balls for Pocket Money in the creeks at the Conno Golf Links , Crows scooping down stealing the Golf Balls off the links and these Lads would watch the Crows fly off across said waterway and across some salt flats where there were some old deserted concrete solos of sorts and these lads would think
    Wow!!! what a booty of Golf balls would be stored there in their Nests so planned a trip across said waterway to chase the bounty !!..

Tried crossing in several places to find themselves up to their kannackers in shyte n Mud and about to give up on the plan when spied a raft made up of 44 gl Drums just up a wee bit !!..
    Now there's an Idea!! , Made it to the raft allright ,long pole , all aboard and kind of a lost cause from there as the run took the raft downstream a tad and then Stuck in shallow shyte and shyte it was too !! from the feel and looks of the stuff after trying to drag oneself across it back to safe land !!..
    Think some of that shyte washed down from Johnny Lysaghts??..

Home for a good tub prior to a hosing down to rid the stuff off ye ole body and a wee bit of a wallapping by the old man afterwards .
    Not being a giver up of said missions those Lads eventuall succeeded in making it to the silos and Golf Balls by the shyteload they did come across too but maybe one or two of any value as the Crows took them over there to chew the feck out of them !!.
    Dont know if they thought they were eggs or what but they did do a good job trying to chew them apart ey .
    So yes know that Waterway , original Boat ramp was at the end of that too wasnt it..

Dredging was done in the mid seventies in Port Kembla Harbour by Ham, Westminster and Rockfall to dredge the Harbaour eventually forming Westham Dredging ...

Those salt pan with said Silos were were they store Cars now im thinking ??...