Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aldi heads Up

Re: Aldi heads Up

Mate i kept on leaving the Gong consistently as of the age of 14 , Came back for awhile and joined the Navy , came back for awhile and moved over to WA , came back for awhile and moved to QLD and have been here ever since ...
    Mind you still go back for visits ..

My old man wasn't keen on the place after ten years and packed us up when I was six ('66) and went 'home' but as my mother was from there I spent nearly every school holidays down there.Still go down but not nearly as often.Have relo's in Warilla,Mt Warrigal,Warrawong,Lake Heights,Unanderra and Kiama.I think you may have been out of luck with the repairs though,The old grandfather prided himself on fixing stuff for the family.....unless it was a TV.

I used to fix TVs too, we had a really big repair business, repaired just about everything, mowers, bikes, all household electrical appliances, washing machines, stoves and fridges, heaters, TVs and radios, funny how times changed, we had 3 guys full time just repairing irons, toasters, jugs/kettles, vacuum cleaners and heaters, none of those things get fixed now, you just toss them in the bin.

Maybe we need an Illawarra M&G?

A Gong meet & greet

...... I had a house in Windang for a few years in the late 90s & my ex & kids live in Port Kembla down near the pool

If it wasn't for work - I reckon I would go back down there …….. either that or up to Brisbane again

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Maybe we need an Illawarra M&G?
    Should have said "Yes" to a request to Fly down to Sydney for a Stone Sharpening Demo lol , could have driven the short distance down to the Gong for a M&G ..
    All going well with familly health might hook the Van up later in the year and slowly head down.
    Trouble is soon as i get into that Northern Rivers District i get hooked and cant leave the place lol
    Last time in the Gong i near booked into the Shellharbour van Park right on the water for a week or two and regretted not doing so!!..
    Who knows ??? , maybe next time??...

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    A Gong meet & greet

...... I had a house in Windang for a few years in the late 90s & my ex & kids live in Port Kembla down near the pool

If it wasn't for work - I reckon I would go back down there …….. either that or up to Brisbane again

Chris
    Some of my earliest memories are of the Island at Windang,my old man couldn't keep away from it.Chances were if he was looking after me I was playing with a sand bucket and a pile of fish on the beach.Come night time he and his mates from the 'Hostel' would fish it.Likewise my grandfather used to take me to where the lake empties on the southern side,I sort of remember a concrete wall there where we used to sit with hand lines.

Unless mistaken that wall has and is still there.
    You ever go scooping for Prawns with overhead lamp??.
    We used to after arvo shift orjust after dark.

Ever Fish warm water outlet Talkawarra Power Staition??.

Feck!!!! Reviving memories now!!!. Lol

A bit has changed now, been bugger all prawns in the lake for ages, since they "fixed" the entrance, Tallawarra power station is also long gone, they have now built some sort of "green" power thing there as a kind of experiment, just walked from my place along the beach to Windang Island, the island still fishes OK for those who know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Unless mistaken that wall has and is still there.
    You ever go scooping for Prawns with overhead lamp??.
    We used to after arvo shift orjust after dark.
    I have an uncle at Mt Warrigal from the age of about ten if I was down there and they were on I'd be waist deep next to him and his old pump up lamp looking for those eyes.
    I've never fished at the power station.Any fishing I did was kid friendly,although I do remember always getting read the riot act by the old girl when going with my grandfather to that wall,it's good to hear it might still be there.

The wall is there, but it has picnic tables and play equipment and all sorts of tourist type stuff, the entrance is now permanently on the North side of the island, all sorts of rock walls and things have been built.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The wall is there, but it has picnic tables and play equipment and all sorts of tourist type stuff, the entrance is now permanently on the North side of the island, all sorts of rock walls and things have been built.
    Probably not a bad thing,I seem to recall the wall and not much else but a creepy amenities block a ways back surrounded by a huge expanse of red hot sand.Can you still walkout or wade to the island or is the island now connected via the walls?

You can walk out anytime from the Southern (Warilla) side, the entrance is quite deep, still lots of Flathead caught in the lake, and Blue Swimmer crabs, Whiting for those who know how to get worms, considering the hammering it gets, the fishing is pretty good.