Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aldi heads Up

Re: Aldi heads Up

Person i purchased my rootail for stropping says he skins heaps and only ###### his knives after having put an edge on them too.

Just talking to another mate , ex meat industry and he sort of agrees though their knives would only be good for aprox twelve months from all the steeling ??.
    A good quallity Chef knife can sometimes coxt upward of $1800 .00 . Only put a good edge on it once with quallity stones and from there mostly stropped.
    But like said , good quallity knives .

l like Aldi gear, hope they still got some knifes left.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I just checked the one in the tinny, it's just sitting in a bucket, it's about 6 months old and hardly rusty, it will get used tomorrow chopping up crab bait, so I just gave it an "edge" on a brick.
    That made me laugh "Brick"

My old man who was a carpenter & would sharpen all his tools - anything from an axe through to a saw and had all the tools / stones etc to do it well .......... but the fondest memory was was the kitchen knives - where he would walk out the back door & give them a swipe on the cement steps - job done !

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep and some still do so. After all cement is still an abrasive.
    As for the Brick ' well it is mear the size of one lol.
    Now another heads up as i browse through KMart is they still have the Jarvis Walker 7" black n red handled filletting knibes for $5 bucks.
    There is another Jarvis Walker
    10 cm black n blue handled knife for three bucks but is crap as it rusts just thinking about being in a salt enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    do they rust ?

Would be good to have on the boat to knock the fillets off yakkas or slimies

Chris
    "Yakkas " , My Biggest Bream ever Caught as well as Tailor was when i was a young fella riding the Pushie all the way out to Conno (Coniston ) Breakwall with my Moms shopping basket/bag (Plastic with round handles if anyone can still remember them and slim enough to fit between the legs whilst peddling.
    Three handlines , handfull of minch or a lamb chop , knife , packets of j
    Hooks n sinkers and a Spud for burly. (Mince or chop for the yakkas )
    Ride out to the Oil Jetty get the spud out and start scraping and flicking the contents out on the water and the Yakkas would swarm out from everywhere below.
    Thin line with a yakka hook and start fishing for yakkas.
    When had enough would then walk over to the other side of Breakwall ( Rocks ) and wait for the Flocking Birds , splashing water from both Birds and Tailor . Two handlines out same time each with a fillet of yakka or Slimie , one would have three ganged hooks and the other small piece of lead to make it sink a little faster than the Tailor line as The Big Bream would be following the Tailor but swimming below them and it would be on lol !!.
    Sometimes didnt know if i were Aurther or Martha both lines peeling off at the same time .
    Bloody ell those were Brilliant years ey!!!..
    Huge Silver Bream !!!..
    Cant fish that same Breakwall now from what im told and doubt if the Slimies and Yakkas are in same proportion to be found as they are harvested nowadays not only for Bait but for the table as well not to mention "Seaworld ""..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    "Yakkas " , My Biggest Bream ever Caught as well as Tailor was when i was a young fella riding the Pushie all the way out to Conno (Coniston ) Breakwall with my Moms shopping basket/bag (Plastic with round handles if anyone can still remember them and slim enough to fit between the legs whilst peddling.
    Three handlines , handfull of minch or a lamb chop , knife , packets of j
    Hooks n sinkers and a Spud for burly. (Mince or chop for the yakkas )
    Ride out to the Oil Jetty get the spud out and start scraping and flicking the contents out on the water and the Yakkas would swarm out from everywhere below.
    Thin line with a yakka hook and start fishing for yakkas.
    When had enough would then walk over to the other side of Breakwall ( Rocks ) and wait for the Flocking Birds , splashing water from both Birds and Tailor . Two handlines out same time each with a fillet of yakka or Slimie , one would have three ganged hooks and the other small piece of lead to make it sink a little faster than the Tailor line as The Big Bream would be following the Tailor but swimming below them and it would be on lol !!.
    Sometimes didnt know if i were Aurther or Martha both lines peeling off at the same time .
    Bloody ell those were Brilliant years ey!!!..
    Huge Silver Bream !!!..
    Cant fish that same Breakwall now from what im told and doubt if the Slimies and Yakkas are in same proportion to be found as they are harvested nowadays not only for Bait but for the table as well not to mention "Seaworld ""..
    So where did Coniston kids go to school?

Conno offcourse where else , end of Auburn St ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Conno offcourse where else , end of Auburn St ..
    lol.You'll have to forgive me I'm from Cringila,we're not real smart.I had to walk to Warrawong.

Cringilla , just down the road from where i worked fer a wee while..

Some time agao I bought a Ruixin Pro sharpener off Ebay . Cheap and cheerful cost about $40 and I also grabbed a set of diamond stones for about $12. I used to think I went all right with a stone ………..turns out not so much. Unless I can shave with it, it's not sharp now. I do also strop the blade with an old leather belt once I'm done.

Dont know mate, have never used a guided system before.
    Sometimes its the knife as not all knives are equal.
    Bevel angle with each knife has something to do with it.
    Gradually refining the edge after getting a burr developed.
    And then stropping.
    Strop for me is vegytanned rootail leather.
    The Best .

Doesn't seem to matter what the knife is with it Volvo - the knife only seems to determine how long it will hold the edge. Makes it as close to idiot proof as possible from what I've seen - even I can use it

Idiot proof? maybe even I could use it then with a bit of practice.

Volvo and Banshee, how long since you lived in the Illawarra? I reckon during my years of working for an appliance/TV/mower repair shop in Port Kembla for decades I would have been in just about every house and met every person in the area, still see a few old customers now and then, they shake my hand and talk about the "old days" when we fixed everything around the house. Kmart still has those $5 knives by the way.