Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advise for buying my first boat

Re: Need advise for buying my first boat

Quote Originally Posted by salthorse View Post
    Thanks a ton for some great advs. I think I haven't conveyed my requirements correctly and that has caused the confusion. If I am taking out 6 people it will be for cruise for a very short while - few hours. For fishing it's likely to be just 2 or 3 at any given time. So I guess I am better off keeping the boat out of water and avoid cost of moor/ regular hull maintenance?
    There can be a big size difference between a 6 pple boat and a 8 pple boat. If 6 pple acceptable then can that be your requirement ?

What about marina storage, eg crane lifts out of water into dry stack storage ? No trailer and no anti fouling etc.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Transire vinus forticulus

Hey guys....Thanks for all the great advise. Apologies for the radio silence....was away for a project go-live(which went off well by the way!).....saw this boat today at JV Marine,,,,https://www.jvmarine.com.au/boat/?bo...12#boat......I know its twice my budget ...but being offered at 79K....couldn't help salivating ! Thoughts???

Kind of difficult to give advice on a boat within a budget when you show a boat that's twice your budget.

Couldn’t agree more and apologies....just couldn’t help posting this option....looks too good !!!

tongue in cheek ..but I have a name for the boat ...Buyers Remorse!!!

Have u thought about importing a 7 to 8 meter centre console from the USA? get ready to wet your panties https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-MAKO-2...temCondition=4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-Master-M...temCondition=4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Annaca...temCondition=4

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...temCondition=4

keep in mind u could buy a lemon from USA so factor in some cash for repairs unless u get a really good keyed inspector over there

very shiny very new lots of gleam, but i think you need a 200 HP on this rig, looks to be a deep vee at the back and circle hooks only in this boat, too much padding/upholstery,,,, seems a good price for new boat though like this and very family oreintated with the protection up forward..would be heavy i reckon.

Bit the bullet & put in the deposit....Reeeeaaaalllly excited!

Quote Originally Posted by salthorse View Post
    Bit the bullet & put in the deposit....Reeeeaaaalllly excited!
    What did u buy?

Ausfish Silver Member

We have a 24' Mustang bridge deck with a 300 Suzuki and I wouldn't want any more than 6 people aboard. 2 on the bridge, 4 on the back seat.
    Little trailer boats are just limited in what they can do.

I think a Haines 773L would be good for you, but I doubt
    1) your Prado could legally tow it,
    2) that you would find a clean skin for the money.

You obviously don't need a cabin boat, so a big open runabout/centre console should be the go.
    Having 1 boat as the answer to all the families needs can be difficult.

The trailer option is always preferable to the moored option, but you are limited by what you can tow due to the Prado.
    A Bertram 25 with a repower should be in that price range, is an amazing boat, fits all your criteria, but you can't tow it...

Flick the Prado and get a Cruiser, Disco or an ML and you will open a whole new chapter of suitable boats.

Just my 2c fwiw...

Buy a boat to suit you and a mate. And just get a charter 2-3 times a year for the family

You will hate the experience of being In Charge of so many people and paying for the privilege sooner then later

I don't get it your budget was 40k and tow limit 2500kg u went 85k and possibly over the 2500kg limit?

We live once so get out there and enjoy it : o ) just dont go squiding lol

For $84,000 u could have bought a huge plate boat that would have carried 8 people

Ticked all the boxes & I was always cleared for that sort of finance. Was just putting a constraint on myself to keep it down to 40. Visits to see all 2nd hand boats turned out to be depressing. Just got put off by selecting a boat that looked great .....was in my price range and took for an inspection and was advised to walk away. Scary thought that I was about to buy it and good sense prevailed and I got it checked out. Funny thing is that he sold it immediately after to someone at a better price than me!!! Some of the factors that got me to recalibrate. ...the brochure says approx towing weight is 2100 kg so I hope that should be fine. Last straw was when they dropped it down to 77K