Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Mercury 75 2stroke problem

Re: Need advice on Mercury 75 2stroke problem

A lot of jumping here and there and guessing, first up, you need to check the battery voltage while you are turning the key to start, at both the battery end, and the starter end, the battery terminals getting hot indicate bad connections, have you actually removed and cleaned them? or are you just relying on them "looking" OK? don't jump all over the place with half tests.
    Last edited by Noelm; 13-02-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Typo

A lot of jumping here and there and guessing, first up, you need to check the battery voltage while you are turning the key to start, at both the battery end, and the starter end
    The above is the very first thing I'd do.
    Be aware, test at the battery posts, testing at the battery lugs is not the same as testing at the battery posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    That is impossible.
    Disconnected the cable on the starter and had partner turn the key.

Will try the pull start tomorrow, hadn't thought of that Matt.
    Pete

Thanks for all the tips so far, will revisit the problem in the morning and see what happens.
    Pete

No need to actually pull start it, just try turning the flywheel, with the key OFF to see if it's easy to turn, or really tight. If you do attempt to pull start it, be VERY careful, if it's tight, and you give it a good yank, you will end up with very long arms, or very sore shoulders, next, be very sure the rope only goes around the flywheel once, not a few times, because if it starts, the rope will remain on the flywheel and be whipping around like a 75HP whipper snipper, giving you a pretty good whipping, before even trying to pull start, you need key on, primer bulb hard, manual choke on, and hope!

Quote Originally Posted by MBay Pete View Post
    Disconnected the cable on the starter and had partner turn the key.
    Don't understand what this test would achieve.

Need to do it with everything connected Pete. Without the load from the starter the voltage reading means nothing. A bad connection creates a resistance which then creates a voltage drop as amps are drawn - the more amps equals more drop which is why it possibly seemed ok without the plugs in.

Quote Originally Posted by MBay Pete View Post
    Will try the pull start tomorrow, hadn't thought of that Matt.
    Pete
    Pull start rope should be in a bag under the cowling , it shouldn’t be that hard to start with it my 60hp was easy in comparison to a 140 2 Suzuki I used to have . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I don't understand why you would want to pull start it, we know it runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I don't understand why you would want to pull start it, we know it runs?
    To eliminate hydraulic lock .

I pulled the plugs out, checked inside the cylinders and all looked normal
    I don't think water would be likely but no harm trying I guess.

Don't be surprised if it's hard to pull over I remember struggling with my old 3 cyl 65s when I was young & fit.

None of them are easy to pull start direct to the flywheel, pull starters had a gear to make it easy, a rope around the flywheel is possible, especially if you are broken down in the dark with a flat battery, it's amazing where that super human strength comes from!

Just throwing it out there but when you pulled the plugs out to check there condition was there any sign of beading or very very small brownish marks on the plugs to indicate water ingress. Not uncommon for water to enter those Mercs and cause difficult starting but normally early signs are those symptoms i mentioned particularly on the bottom plug.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

It sounds like you've been there & done that Steeler, even mentioning the tiny droplets.