Thread: Wet box transducer

Wet box transducer

I know transducer questions have been done to death but couldn’t find any info regarding whether any transducer can be wetboxed in hull, have asked a number of installers and they all sit on the fence in regards to in hull capability, from every thing I have researched wet boxing seems to be the go for multihulls, I am wanting to set up a fish finder only display either a Garmin 8410xsv or a Furuno 588 I don’t really want to go the m260 due to the narrow cone at the 200 freq, and the p79 won’t work with the 588 for bottom discrimination,Rezboost and Accufish so was wondering if any transducer is capable of being wetboxed for example a b175hw? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Wet box transducer

Short answer is yes they can. Long answer will come later when I am not on a phone.

I’m no expert mate, but I wet boxed my transome mount P66 in my Yalta.
    Not sure if I have lost any power ect? Never really had a comparison.

But over all, works for me.

Cheers
    Rob

Ok, Long answer. If you look at a series of transducers - the Airmar "260" series as an example - essentially it's the same transducer in all of them - just different housings to suit different mounting applications. That said - from practical testing we always found that a bronze transducer gave more echo return when in a directly comparible situation ( test tank in a workshop). I have my own theory on this - simply being that the solid metal housing doesn't absorb any of the sound energy like a plastic housing - can't prove it scientifically - purely based off what we saw on the screen of the sounder when running tests. As such, any "traditional" transducer within a series should give "similar" results when mounted in a wetbox. Whether those results are satisfactory is purely dependant on the hull - factors such as thickness, delamination, multiple layer construction along with water flow and air flow over the chosen location all come into play. The hard part is most of the time, you can't tell until you have tried it - unless you have done that particular hull before and thus have some idea as to the success or lack there of with the installation.

Some of the newer transducers - specifically chirp, are different. Unless things have changed recently, Airmar does not recommend mounting a transom mount or through hull in a "shoot through hull" installation due to the possibility of the transducer overheating and consequently failing. Chirp transducers are available for shoot through hull installs that have been designed to dissipate heat as required.

I have always wondered exactly what effect hull deadrise has on cone patterns (if any) but to date have never been able to find any documented information. I suspect that because it simply works, no one in the position to do any testing really cares.

Depending on your maximum depth requirements, I personally would be looking at Furuno and either a 520-5MSD if 600 watts is enough ( Have used this to 150 metres personally shoot through hull in a CC625 without issue) or if you want to go deeper with a wider cone than the B260, the CA50/200-1T and a matching box. It's a rubber block mount which makes the wetbox design a bit more involved but not difficult - access may be an issue though if working through a spin out.

Wet box transducer

Thanks scottar very interesting, the ca50/200 is the one I was thinking that could work possibly, I happened to come across these single band transducers that I had never heard about and could be a good compromise, very little info on them apart from the sales sheet and I doubt they would be Furuno compatible but they are for the Garmin etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

The high frequency may work on the Furuo as well but the mid definitely won't. Just depends on what sort of bottom descrimination you wish to achieve. The wide angle transducers are great for producing images full of arches but bottom detail will suffer.

I've just ordered the furuno CA 50/200 1t to go into my fraser hull been told it can go into a wetbox or wetfaced and one more option is to transom mount it into a fibrelite housing which looks similar to a M260 haven't decided how i will go about it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ginodan View Post
    I've just ordered the furuno CA 50/200 1t to go into my fraser hull been told it can go into a wetbox or wetfaced and one more option is to transom mount it into a fibrelite housing which looks similar to a M260 haven't decided how i will go about it yet
    Personally I would try the wetbox first and see if you are happy with it - cheap and easy to have another go if the location is not quite right. Wet face or transom mount will give the best depth capability but if they don't work you either have to patch several little holes or one dirty great big one.

Yep going to try the transducer in a bag of water inside the hull and hang it over the side and do a comparison , this transducer is meant to be tank mounted but getting conflicting information , furuno usa reckon they try and keep away from in hull transducers as they don't perform aswell as wet faced ones and other people reckon they go fine in a tank , furuno aus reckon if i go tank mount i'll loose Bottom Discrimination , decisions decisions !

Do you really need a to be told what bottom type it is? Doesn't looking at the sounder image , spikes , thickness of bottom indicate this?