Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Style Coooker For Boat?

Camp Style Coooker For Boat?

Hi all, was just wondering what camp style cookers people are using in their boats for those one or two nights at sea. I was thinking your standard old butane type but then started to consider the smaller of the coleman dual fuel units. Not keen on gas given the need for cylinders etc. Whats everyone using and whats the pro's and cons?

Re: Camp Style Coooker For Boat?

I know you didn’t want gas but I just take a Weber babyq and stash the cylinder in the baitstation storage have also been thinking of installing a 12v travel buddy oven for TV dinners etc which would be handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

i was looking those coleman brand daul burner units in BCF today , got the side screens to block any breeze, looks like good burners however if i had the burner on the stern with the fuel tanks under the stern coaming, im hesitant about going there....its all about the vapours you know..
    maybe just nosh up a heap of 2 minute noodles in a flask..

I use a Maxi brand dual burner metho stove. Not cheap, and a bit slow but easy to use and safe. I have found a bbq plate at Bunnings that fits nicely too, so heaps of room for a couple of steaks or bacon and eggs for breakfast. Whitworths have them in stock.

A lot of people use bbq's just think of how many.people light a ciggy on a boat and no explosions, my mate carry a small butane stove in there compartment they cook up everything while out fishing and in winter we sit it on the floor and use it as a heater

If memory serves me correctly, you can smell petrol vapour well before it reaches it's LEL (Lower explosive Limit). If you can't smell it where you are using the stove - you won't have an explosion related to fuel (petrol) vapour. Personally I use a butane cartridge single burner - usually parked on top of the esky in the middle of the cockpit - directly above the fuel tank. The big beauty of these IMO is due to cost and size, there will be no issue with ditching the lot in the drink in the event of a misadventure.

Thanks everyone. Dirty fuzz, i ruled the barby out basis not enough room. Alchemy, those units look interesting, you need to fill the cannisters under the burners every time you use them right? i.e. you cant carry them around half full of metho or can you? Scottar, agree the butanes are so easy, the only reason i started to look at the colemans (and now metho's) was that if you had the familly and were camped on the beach/bank i recon the coleman would be a better sollution given extra grunt.

Technically what is the safest fuel type to use in a trailer boat? I figure its all dangerous to some degree so no use making it worse than it is. I recon ill be cooking on the esky 50cm above 380Litres of unleaded in preference to on the bait board near the breather, i guess you can always through a wet towel over the breather if cooking down the back.

[QUOTE=Out-Station;1652116]Thanks everyone. Dirty fuzz, i ruled the barby out basis not enough room. Alchemy, those units look interesting, you need to fill the cannisters under the burners every time you use them right? i.e. you cant carry them around half full of metho or can you/QUOTE]

Yes, I carry mine with varying levels of metho. I keep a couple of litres onboard and top up as needed. No need to fill before each use. Very economical. I think the stoves tank holds around a litre of metho.

Re safety. With a metho stove you simply chuck a glass of water on the burner and it is out.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I have a 12V Travel Buddy oven on board( the small size), we take some frozen pre-prepped meals and just leave them in the fridge and they defrost as you go. We also tried one of those replaceable cartridge-type single burner gas cookers. We had it sitting on a small table, but you couldn't get it right out of the wind, so boiling water was slow, and gas consumption was high.But the bacon and egg sangers for brekkie every morning were awesome. We'll just go with a normal two-burner gas camp cooker from now on. I'm in the process of working up a little holder for it--I have a six-rod s/s holder mounted on the lower coaming, below and just behind the passenger seat, so if I make a little table with two legs that slot in there, the stove will be well below gunwhale height and out of the wind. Plus the 12v coffee maker for a short black to kick off the day.

I have a Weber Q, but no way to store it, overkill for the two of us.

I use a metho stove like Alchemy, as I believe these to be the safest option.
    very easy to use, and easy to refill. Just keep a 1lt bottle of metho onboard.
    They will run for ages on a full canister.

Only downside is they are a bit slow.
    Mine is inbuilt and only a single burner. A two burner would be handily.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Jay View Post
    I use a metho stove like Alchemy, as I believe these to be the safest option.
    very easy to use, and easy to refill. Just keep a 1lt bottle of metho onboard.
    They will run for ages on a full canister.

Only downside is they are a bit slow.
    Mine is inbuilt and only a single burner. A two burner would be handily.
    Same here have a twin burner metho stove built in and yes they are a little slow but does the job. Also have a baby-Q gas BBQ out on the swim platform which cooks a nice roast or steak. Also have a microwave which is really handy for a quick reheat it is a 12 volt type and was slow going, replacing it with a small 240 volt. It's a bit old and to replace is rather expensive. The days of cold sandwiches and a flask of coffee that would be cold after 24 hours are over.

Gas is fine to use, just make sure like any naked flame burner in a boat you take the necessary precautions. The gas bottle lives in a vented box out the back and check the hoses etc for leaks. I carry spare seals and a complete hose, regulator. You can get some good quality braided hoses now for your gas cooker which is something I will get.

You can get some good marine BBQ's of the smaller size with a hood but it has that Marine word which triples the price. I found they are quite heavy and why I went with the Baby-Q as made of aluminum so much lighter. A stainless steel plate would be a good thing tho.

The canister cookers are hopeless in the wind and make me nervous every time I use it, remember the recall on the exploding ones a few years back!

The travel buddy is good to heat up a pre-prepared meals but you got to remember to put them in early, if you want hot pies for lunch they got to be on by 10am, dinners take longer. Have used for pizza slices, pies, meals, fresh fish wrapped in foil etc and all good. If you get one of these cut the plug off and hard wire to fuse board as the plugs are crap, mine melted. Also must be mounted somehow or they bounce around the boat as very light.

My fav on board cooking device is the LOTUS GRILL. Dosen't get affected by wind, authentic BBQ taste, lasts for about 1 1/2 hours, very safe...just a bit bulky. Check them out as an option.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I had the plug on mine fail fairly early in the piece, replaced it with another one I had in my gear, no problems since. The small ones pull 6 amps, the larger ones are 9 amps--i'd be putting an Anderson plug on one of those. It is screwed down to a piece of starboard mounted above the side pocket beside the passenger seat--if I want to put it in the ute, two screws and it's out. I find an hour is enough for the pies and pasties if they are out of the fridge, 2 hours if frozen. We'll be putting the home made pasties on around 9 tomorrow morning.

G'day
    After years of searching for the right thing and never finding it, last year the ultimate little cooker came along. Have used it numerous times (actually bought 4 after bunnings had a big sale, gave some to the kids and kept 2) Son also used it for beach camping and said best ever, quite versatile and reasonably wind resistant, does not radiate much heat downwards and provides a large cooking area. Couldn't be happier, it's perfect. Have cooked all sorts in it including steaks, chicken fillets, bacon and eggs etc
    Cheers
    Rod

https://www.bunnings.com.au/campmast...stove_p3171758

PS, the bread is the big home baked stuff
    Attached Images Attached Images