Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canopy for a duel cab ute

Canopy for a duel cab ute

Hi All

I'm starting to look into my next tow vehicle & what canopy configuration would serve me best for possibly the next 5-10 years .
    Currently I have an NP300 Navara with a traditional ARB canopy - The car has been reliable & comfortable .... & has done the job though going from the smaller 5m Seajay to the 6.15 Barcrusher has shown some of the shortcomings of a 2.3L twin turbo .
    Car wise I'll probably go with the Mazda BT50 GT - Mazda's reputation , quality & local service is well regarded & the higher output motor is probably second only to the Amarok ( without the reliability , build quality & service issues of VW) .

Not so much about the car ..... but I did learn that the standard tub & canopies of utes are pretty useless when it comes to access & organisation when doing our long range trips- specially running a fridge like an 80lt engel ...... it's a pain.
    Anyhow I'm thinking along the lines of a custom / semi custom alloy canopy & tray . I've had a look at the Norweld stuff & they look pretty darn good - Quality & functionality ..... & plenty of options / configurations , electrics (battery management) . The tray with side box's & rear sliding draw ticks the box for additional storage (particularly tools , spares etc) good solid storage on the roof - plus spare tyre & jerry can holder on the back Canopy-Package-3.jpg
    I'll keep an open mind but are there any other manufacturers that are worth serious consideration & also what level of customisation works (set up) . I'm thinking side opening doors , fridge slide on one side with a draw & leaving the otherside flat & open to allow the carrying of 4 tote box's

Anyhow curious to hear your thoughts & suggestions

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Canopy for a duel cab ute

Next years BT comes with an Isuzu motor apparently if that’s a problem for you and it will be an all new vehicle I believe , as far as canopies go the Norweld look to be amongst the best . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Next years BT comes with an Isuzu motor apparently if that’s a problem for you and it will be an all new vehicle I believe , as far as canopies go the Norweld look to be amongst the best . Matt
    Not sure if it will be 2020 0r 2021 before we see the next generation - & yes I did hear about the collaboration with Isuzu .......
    I'm thinking that it might be too long to wait .

I went out to Norweld here in Sydney & had a chat to them and a look over their work ...... it is nice , very solidly built & thought out. - They also have good package options on both the tray & canopy .

Not sure if I'll look at a wind on / off canopy ....... That could be good thing when camping & using it as part of the camp kitchen set up - leaving the car as the tow vehicle only ...... that adds another $2600 to the package though

not cheap ..... and edging close to $30K

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

think the mazda BT50 has the better suspension setup compared to its twin the ranger, has less body roll and better for towing so says my old boss, i drove it and yes totally shites on any ranger ive driven ...he put a hard service canopy on the back with inverter/solar/generator. total setup for any encounter. id have a bt in a heartbeat..

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    think the mazda BT50 has the better suspension setup compared to its twin the ranger, has less body roll and better for towing so says my old boss, i drove it and yes totally shites on any ranger ive driven ...he put a hard service canopy on the back with inverter/solar/generator. total setup for any encounter. id have a bt in a heartbeat..
    Suspension is shit in the Mazdas the rear springs on my gt have sagged to the point of replacement after 25k, will be going airbags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I wouldn't be too worried about the rear springs - like pretty well all of this class of vehicles , they benefit big time from having air bags fitted ….. which I will be doing regardless of whose vehicle I buy .

From a personal perspective …… Ford Australia sucks for after sales support . The problems & how Ford deal with them are well documented . No Ranger for me

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

ford are rip offs , i remember driving lots of rangers and body roll was evident due to softer springs, the mazda i found to be quite tight. think they have trailer sway control as a factory option.

Canopy for a duel cab ute

Yeah they do! Standard on the gt not sure on the other models!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the rear springs - like pretty well all of this class of vehicles , they benefit big time from having air bags fitted ….. which I will be doing regardless of whose vehicle I buy .

From a personal perspective …… Ford Australia sucks for after sales support . The problems & how Ford deal with them are well documented . No Ranger for me

Chris
    Hi NAGG just make sure you do a lot of homework before you race off and put air bags under the rear end of your new vehicle.

I’ve seen this happen myself, but here is one of many article regarding broken backs on these types of vehicles.

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com...topic=55406181

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Hi NAGG just make sure you do a lot of homework before you race off and put air bags under the rear end of your new vehicle.

I’ve seen this happen myself, but here is one of many article regarding broken backs on these types of vehicles.

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com...topic=55406181

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks for the heads up ….. I have heard of this - particularly with the Triton.
    I didn't give it too much thought with the NP300 because of the coil spring rear end …… so I just did a spring & airbag upgrade which made a world of difference the soft assed Nissan

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

NAGG did you check this ones
    https://www.csmservicebodies.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by MyWay View Post
    NAGG did you check this ones
    https://www.csmservicebodies.com.au

no ... but will look into them - Ta

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It's been a while since I wrote this post - but this is what has happened

I actually went out & bought another Navara ...... there was very little to complain about the old NP300 - It was comfortable & it did the job as a tow vehicle ...... but was pretty darn good as a daily drive

So I went from this
    New Navara .jpg

To this

Norweld tray.jpg

The workmanship on the Norweld tray is outstanding - Look shit hot too .

Anyhow 6 months later & it was time to look at getting a wind off canopy - Where originally I was looking at a fully decked out job - drop down fridge slides , draws , jerry can holders , ladders , spare wheel holder etc …… like this 5_Deluxe-Ute-Canopy-Package-2.5.jpg

Having had time to think about it ….. how often I would use this configuration ( 1 or 2 times a year) ……. & what I really want a canopy for (security & transport) ……. I ended up going with a very basic - 3 door arrangement …. like this 3 door canopy.jpg

Since I usually camp - setting up a tent with enclosed area . My fridge would be removed anyhow ( I also have two fridges for those longer trips) - so the slide becomes an expensive waste of space ..... along with the draws.
    I also now have the added advantage on those short overnighters of being able to sleep in the back . Day to day - there is a hell of a lot of room.
    It's still a wind off configuration ..... so I can revert back to a tray back ute if need be .

what I did do was go with a decent electric package - Enerdrive . This is a lithium package with DCDC charger (40amp) , 125 amp LiFePO4 battery , Korr lighting , breakers , battery monitor & enough 12 volt outlets (plugs , andersson & USB to cover most applications Enerdrive-Elements-4-1200x900.jpg

So yeh , it's taken a while ……. looked at a lot of manufacturers ….. but still came back to Norweld - their work is second to none .
    Even better .... I popped in to see the local guy at Norweld today to discuss a few things & instead met with one of the owners ……. Ended up with a nice discount to reward some loyalty …... & a commitment to meet a rather short requred date of 6 weeks . As he said - right place at the right time .

Cant wait till she is ready

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I actually went out & bought another Navara ...... there was very little to complain about the old NP300 - It was comfortable & it did the job as a tow vehicle ...... but was pretty darn good as a daily drive

So I went from this
    New Navara .jpg

To this

Norweld tray.jpg

Anyhow 6 months later & it was time to look at getting a wind off canopy - Where originally I was looking at a fully decked out job - drop down fridge slides , draws , jerry can holders , ladders , spare wheel holder etc …… like this 5_Deluxe-Ute-Canopy-Package-2.5.jpg

Having had time to think about it ….. how often I would use this configuration ( 1 or 2 times a year) ……. & what I really want a canopy for (security & transport) ……. I ended up going with a very basic - 3 door arrangement …. like this 3 door canopy.jpg

Since I usually camp - setting up a tent with enclosed area . My fridge would be removed anyhow ( I also have two fridges for those longer trips) - so the slide becomes an expensive waste of space ..... along with the draws.
    I also now have the added advantage on those short overnighters of being able to sleep in the back . Day to day - there is a hell of a lot of room.
    It's still a wind off configuration ..... so I can revert back to a tray back ute if need be .

what I did do was go with a decent electric package - Enerdrive . This is a lithium package with DCDC charger (40amp) , 125 amp LiFePO4 battery , Korr lighting , breakers , battery monitor & enough 12 volt outlets (plugs , andersson & USB to cover most applications Enerdrive-Elements-4-1200x900.jpg

So yeh , it's taken a while ……. looked at a lot of manufacturers ….. but still came back to Norweld - their work is second to none .
    Even better .... I popped in to see the local guy at Norweld today to discuss a few things & instead met with one of the owners ……. Ended up with a nice discount to reward some loyalty …... & a commitment to meet a rather short requred date of 6 weeks . As he said - right place at the right time .

Chris
    Very nice. Looks a great unit - enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

So I went from this
    New Navara .jpg

To this

Norweld tray.jpg

Chris
    Top piece of kit Nagg. Just a quick question. Will you need a GVM/suspension upgrade with a fully loaded canopy towing the BC for the long trips? Thinking of doing a similar exercise next year myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated. SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app