Thread: Rodds Peninsula Camping

Free Membership

Rodds Peninsula Camping

Hey all,

We booked our Easter camping trip out to Rodds Peninsula up near 1770. Does anyone have any updated information about the boat ramp at Turkey Beach, best way to get out there? Fishing? Camp area? And is it ok to get to Lady Musgrave from Rodds? We have a 5mt half cab.
    Any information would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.

Re: Rodds Peninsula Camping

It's been a long time since I've been to Turkey,maybe ten years,but when I was there last there was no camping allowed in Turkey Beach itself.There are a multitude of spots in the bush around the various creeks in the area but I am unsure of the legality of just setting up camp without permission.Something's to note........Turkey Beach has the densest population of sand flies in the world......they WILL strip the flesh from your bones.The 'Beach' at Turkey Beach is about 50 yards long and has either mangroves or mud/sharp shells at either end.You can only swim for a short time towards the top of the tide in the wire mesh enclosure as it's high and dry for most part.
    If you are self sufficient in your camp set up maybe you could arrange secure parking at the shop (I have seen cars parked at the boat ramp car park for days on end) and head around to Pancake Creek and camp there,it's a very pretty spot that is used by boats as a safe anchorage,again though,don't know about the sand flies,If you decide to do this you will need the Mark for Jansens Rock (Might be wrong on the name) so you can avoid parking on it........Likewise if it's dead flat look out for Ethel rocks at the mouth of Rodd's,if there is any sort of weather at all you'll see the ripples on it.
    Fishing in the area can be brilliant.....or it can be shit.In a five metre boat it's going to have to be pretty bad weather to keep you away from inner/middle and outer rocks just off Pancake where you shouldn't have much trouble catching a mix of tropical and southern species.Be aware that most of the coast between Rodds point and Pancake is/was no fishing.Also,fuel and supplies are a lot more expensive in turkey,we always kept going to Gladstone and stocked up with two weeks food and as much fuel as could be stored then went back.As I said,been a long time since I have been there so things may be very different,Might pay to give the shop a call with any enquiries,Hope this is of some help.

edit.....Log on with either Round Hill or Gladstone or no one will come looking for you.

Free Membership

Hi Banshee,
    We had already booked a campsite at Rodds Peninsula Attachment 118650
    Just wasn't sure where its exact location was until I came across this map this morning, finally, a good map of where the site actually is.
    Thank you for the information regarding Jansens and Ethels... it's good to have this kind of information.
    We hope the fishing is brilliant! We will be there for a week, so good opportunity for good fishing and some snorkeling.
    Next question is what is the best way to get to the camp spot? As per my first post, should we leave from Turkey Beach boat ramp or from 1770? Or is there somewhere else we can launch from? The easiest, the better.
    Thanks again for your information.

My computer is ancient,I can't open a lot of things on here,that attachment is one of them.Do you have a name or something I can access?

Free Membership

Sorry..been at work..
    Look up findapark.npsr.qld.gov.au

OK that is what I call Pancake Creek,absolutely beautiful spot.I've only been there from Turkey and only as far as the point just upstream from the first tent mark in the creek proper.I was not adventurous as I had no marks for any hazards etc in a five metre glass boat,so I cant really give advice on the best entry.I used to go in from the lighthouse side and follow that bank up.I believe it's very much six of one and half dozen of the other between 1770 or Turkey,things to consider.....prevailing winds at the time,security for your trailer and vehicle,I think both are bitumen right to the ramp from the highway now.I haven't spent much time in there(Pancake) just stretch the legs and eat after a morning fishing out the front but if it drains like Rodds your going to have to be aware of the water under your boat if you plan on using it.If it's to rough to go out to the reef you could do a lot worse than going out to the rocks out the front.I have swum in there.......I lay down in about a metre of crystal clear water where my boat was for about a minute then got in said boat.....there are a lot of sharks around there(I have never seen anyone swim outside the cage at Turkey).Didn't notice any sand flies but it was always midday....Bushman Green with a million% DEET is a must,also arm yourself for big Scotch grey mossies after dark if there's no breeze.hope this helps some.

Free Membership

Awesome. Cheers for your helpful insight. We think it might be safer to launch from 1770 for security of car and trailer. We have Bushmans 80%Deet lotion, We camp out at Lime Pocket in the Bribie Island passage and the sand flies get pretty bad there dawn and dusk, the Bushmans 80% is the best we have found. We also just brought Beacon to Beacon 13th Ed, so waiting for that to arrive, hopefully it will pinpoint hazards and clearer map than google. Dont mind catching a shark lol.. just not getting bitten by one Haha.. We might take a trip out to the rock cod shoal or fitzroy reef if weather permits and try snorkeling and fishing, but mainly stay close to camp. I had a feeling it used to be called Pancake but I think they closed it or renamed it, because it's not listed as a camp spot anymore. Cant wait to go somewhere different, it will be our first big trip to elsewhere other than Bribie, so hopefully it all goes well! How did your fishing trips go there? Catch anything awesome?

PM sent re fishing.