Thread: what 6m alloy boat

what 6m alloy boat

im thinking about buying a new to me 6-6 1/2
    boat and after a few ideas my criteria are
    hardtop
    enough room to sleep on forward bunks for 2
    good compromise between rest and ride
    200+ liter fuel tank
    not looking at a custom build budget wont stretch that far thinking between 60 & 70k
    will be used mainly in vic waters around welshpool and the prom.
    we be towed by a 100 series diseal with aftermarket turbo.
    like the look of profile and senator boats but dont think they have enough room to sleep.
    any ideas or suggestions welcome
    cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: what 6m alloy boat

If sleeping aboard is really high on your priorities, I just wouldn't be going alloy. Even a 50 footer is like sleeping inside a rainwater tank being showered with rocks, unless a lot of insulation has been added., if you are up in the vee. I did this for many years. The smallest ripple makes alloy very noisy. On the other hand, I sleep in my 6.4 metre glass like a baby, even in strong winds. You can still hear it, but very muted.

Agree with Ranmar about the noise. Especially in anything with a wide chine. Used to run around in a 6.8 Senator. Awesome rig but noisy to sleep in.

i sleep on my mates 6m stabi a bit and doesnt seem to worry me, but will give it some more thought.

does any one have any real life reviews of the mclay 651 crossover. had a look at one today and gotta say i was very impressed

Yep I rate the Mclays. Just talked one of my regular customers into one but $100K+ with alloy trailer and 200hp Merc from Karee marine. Yet to go out in it for a test ride but he is loving it, having come from a Mustang 2000 glass boat. Anyway of all the plateys I have been out in, I rate Marty's (Captain Seaweed) big Noble Super V the best, then Fadil's (My Way) 650 Mclay then my 609 Stabi then the 585 Mclay I had in that order.

Never been in a Stabicraft people say they are an eye sore but i think they look bloody unreal that big tube look makes them look unique and robust kind of looks like its industrial grade

yeah the look of a stabi doesnt phase me at all. i do like the look of senstor/profile boats but hard to get a look or run in one.
    thanks heaps smithy for ya thought too good to here they are a good boat

A good mate of mine has a big Stabi hardtop, fished on it lots of times, it is OK, but I don't think it would be my choice for the money he paid, the workmanship and so on is first class, but they are just not my "thing"

what 6m alloy boat

If I was in the market for a boat and wanted plate and $$$ were not an issue it would be hard to go past the moda built boats, they are floating works of art! But I think the smallest is 8m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

mclays look real nice but the price tag is a downer....super noble looks very nice too but serious money to hear bloop bloop.... Go glass give tin the arse.

problem with glass is in a 6m+ boat is getting to heavy to tow

okay lighter to tow, those waveriders boats look pretty good too

Quote Originally Posted by jake187 View Post
    problem with glass is in a 6m+ boat is getting to heavy to tow
    A decent plate boat is not real light, don't get confused with something like a pressed Quintrex when comparing weight.

yep i appreciate that noelm but a good plate boat will be lighter than a glass of the same length