Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    Parasites in fish

    Found these in a yellow fin tuna I caught. I googled and itsaid roundworms or something. Dunno but it doesn't look too appetizingAttachment 118635MVIMG_20190201_132033.jpg

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  2. #2

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Caught hundreds of Yellowfin and never seen any worms or other stuff in them, Leatherjackets however, yeeew, never eat them ever, I have seen worm looking things in Bream, supposedly harmless and OK to eat.

  3. #3

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddies View Post
    Found these in a yellow fin tuna I caught. I googled and itsaid roundworms or something. Dunno but it doesn't look too appetizingAttachment 118635MVIMG_20190201_132033.jpg

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Yeah right. I've never seen it before either mate. Didn't look to appetizing though.

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  4. #4

    Re: Parasites in fish

    It almost looks like fat or something.

  5. #5

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Looks terrible, nothing like what I am used too when filleting a yellowfin either...

    Crab bait..

  6. #6
    Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brisbane/Ipswich

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Looks riddled with whatever it is, thats a shame on such a nice fish.

  7. #7

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Wow never seen that in Yellowfin. Where was it caught?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  8. #8

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Wow never seen that in Yellowfin. Where was it caught?
    Down off Brunswick at windarra bank. I've never seen anything like it hey. Wild.

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  9. #9

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Looks riddled with whatever it is, thats a shame on such a nice fish.
    Yeah I know shit house hey. Looked healthy and fat. But cut him open and faaaark

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  10. #10

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It almost looks like fat or something.
    Na mate it was heaps of little balls all throughout the fish hey. The bigger one just looked normal nice flesh ya know. Weird. Have googled it and nothing looked like this

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  11. #11

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It almost looks like fat or something.
    Na mate didn't look like fat hey. Heaps of little balls. Weird

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  12. #12

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Damn thatís a shame, never seen a yellow fin with flesh like that.
    A few Jew I have caught out from the tweed have worms but even then the flesh doesnít look like that.
    How did you find the Brunswick bar?

  13. #13

    Re: Parasites in fish

    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Damn thatís a shame, never seen a yellow fin with flesh like that.
    A few Jew I have caught out from the tweed have worms but even then the flesh doesnít look like that.
    How did you find the Brunswick bar?
    Not to bad mate, bit scetchy on the way in nearly low tide and heaps short period swell. Wouldn't like to hit it any bigger than 3ft swell though. Pretty shallow.

    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

  14. #14

    Re: Parasites in fish

    That looks like a Kudoa infection - what you are seeing is large numbers of small "pseudocysts" throughout the flesh represent plasmodia, each containing many thousands of tiny parasite spores. This sort of infection is typical of certain species of Kudoa parasites, a group of small protozoa like fish parasites which are actually parasitic cnidarians (i.e. related to jellyfish). I certainly would not recommend eating fillets that look like this as some Kudoa spp. when cooked exude enzymes that liquefy the flesh, making it tasty and boitter/tasteless, while other species can be toxic and cause illness.

  15. #15

    Re: Parasites in fish

    just reading post 14 is giving me the creeps, well done on the knowlege and thanks for posting. cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us