Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parasites in fish

Re: Parasites in fish

Quote Originally Posted by Ben D View Post
    That looks like a Kudoa infection - what you are seeing is large numbers of small "pseudocysts" throughout the flesh represent plasmodia, each containing many thousands of tiny parasite spores. This sort of infection is typical of certain species of Kudoa parasites, a group of small protozoa like fish parasites which are actually parasitic cnidarians (i.e. related to jellyfish). I certainly would not recommend eating fillets that look like this as some Kudoa spp. when cooked exude enzymes that liquefy the flesh, making it tasty and boitter/tasteless, while other species can be toxic and cause illness.
    YEAH! What he said
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

That looks like a Kudoa infection - what you are seeing is large numbers of small "pseudocysts" throughout the flesh represent plasmodia, each containing many thousands of tiny parasite spores. This sort of infection is typical of certain species of Kudoa parasites, a group of small protozoa like fish parasites which are actually parasitic cnidarians (i.e. related to jellyfish). I certainly would not recommend eating fillets that look like this as some Kudoa spp. when cooked exude enzymes that liquefy the flesh, making it tasty and boitter/tasteless, while other species can be toxic and cause illness.
    Gee Ben - you caught my attention with that explanation... guess I can discount the "Wagu Tuna" theory … Thank you sire.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Awesome knowledge there mate. How'd you come by that knowledge? You work in the industry or scientific type role?

Jeeeesus thanks Ben . The best explaination I've seen yet. Appreciate it. Are you a marine biologist .

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app