Thread: Fishing at Urangan Pier

Fishing at Urangan Pier

Been fishing up at Hervey Bay since Monday, specifically the pier, there have been only a few catches on it, so far I have seen the following caught, a largish Queenfish about 8Kg, 2 Barra but the guy released them as it is a closed season for Barra here till tomorrow, and tonight I was just walking the length of the jetty with my missus and a guy at the end landed a big GT about 25-35Kg.

The fish was pretty stuffed when it surfaced and they almost lost it when they tried to gaff it to lift it up, the gaff pulled out and his line snapped as the fish dropped back into the water, they managed to gaff it as it floated past the other side of the pier. The guy released it but I doubt that the fish would have survived.

It has been a bit sporadic fishing wise and there have been quite a number of largish Queenfish sighted but not landed, so far I haven't had any success but we are still here for a few more days so will keep trying.

Re: Fishing at Urangan Pier

thats the go , sound like a few big ones around, i suppose mostly poppers and lures were being used. it would be nice feel the fight of a 25 kg GT before you leave...

Re: Fishing at Urangan Pier

Actually everyone was using livebait caught by using jigs. Even using jigs the livebait was quite hard to catch consistantly, one moment, someone would catch a couple and then nothing for 30 minutes but plenty of bait around.
    But that's the luck of fishing, just got to put in the hours.