Thread: VSR Position

VSR Position

Hi I’m planning on installing a deep cycle battery at the bow end for either a fridge and possibly later a Motorguide.
    So if I wanted to charge both batteries would a VSR be the correct choice ?
    If it is then would it work with the batteries 6 meters apart ?
    I’m guessing the voltage drop from the furthest battery (up front) would mean the VSR wouldn’t be able to function properly?
    Currently I have only 1 starting battery mounted in the stern storage cupboard. There is already a changeover switch installed just being used as an isolator at the moment. There is room for a 2nd and 3rd battery there. I thought a battery up front would be the better idea for any devices mounted there, that way I just run a charge cable the length of the boat.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: VSR Position

The problem I would forsee with that is, if you really need to parallel both up to start, it just won't work ifyou have sized the supply up to the bow-mounted house battery for charge only. If you still wanted to go down that path, mount the VSR near the main battery--it is only sensing charge level in the main battery, closes to start charging the house when main goes over 12.7 V or whatever.
    What were you planning on running off the house battery? Just a fridge for now, then maybe a spot locker later on? Neither of these draw much current, your fridge will top out at 6 amps, more likely 4.5 amps, and I don't think those spotlockers draw a lot either. Personally, I'd mount the house battery down the back where you already have room for it, put all your switches inside the cupboard down there to avoid direct splash. Then, run a proper House feed up front to power all your devices not directly associated with the motor, get them off what your have now, which is your start battery. Run a big enough feed and you can run fridge and spotloccker no worries, and you are avoiding things like having your plotter drop out when you start the motor, due to voltage drop. Moden electronics are pretty sensitive in this regard, and constant sudden voltage drops don't do them any favors.

I ran a 13.2mm House feed from the rear up to a separate busbar inside the cab for House. I know some will say that is larger than it needs to be, but I have a LOT of electronics, including AP, and it has been faultless. Also running a fridge ( 6 amps) and a 12v travel buddy oven, I can have everything running, AP engaged, and still show a minumum 12.4 volts at the farthest part of the House feed, which is the cigarette outlet for the oven.In your case, a 10mm feed is probably more than ample. I run a separate feed for the drum winch, but you should always do that.
    Wire it up proerly, with the changeover switch you already have, and you will have a House feed independant of your Start battery, charging once the motor is running, and the ability to parallel both if needed, to start.

Re: VSR Position

Ranmar, thank you. Ok I’ll leave the house battery in the stern storage. I guess I was trying to take advantage of the “battery storage locker” already at the bow end but that’s no biggie. More room for fish ha ha.
    Your experience and advice is much appreciated.
    Yes the fridge is a cfx50 so probably not too much current once it chills down.
    I’ve just got to figure out a solid way of mounting the fridge so it’s removable as required after each trip.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.