Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transducer adjustment

Transducer adjustment

I had the rv100 tranny sitting quite a fair bit below the chine and used to get clear bottom up till about 15knots I just put a straight edge and adjusted up today after watching that clip so will be interested to see what it does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Transducer adjustment

I'd first check that the screws holding the transducer to the transom are holding tight and that there is no wobble.
    Second test would be a slight tilt a few degrees forward, the theory being by the time the sonar bounces off bottom the boat has moved further forward so you want to angle the transducer forward to catch the beam. All the literature talks about installing on the starboard side to avoid prop wash, this would be my next bet

Quote Originally Posted by hweebe View Post
    I'd first check that the screws holding the transducer to the transom are holding tight and that there is no wobble.
    Second test would be a slight tilt a few degrees forward, the theory being by the time the sonar bounces off bottom the boat has moved further forward so you want to angle the transducer forward to catch the beam. All the literature talks about installing on the starboard side to avoid prop wash, this would be my next bet
    Had a good chuckle when Ryan Moody rolled that chestnut out about angling forward. If you compare the speed of sound through water - about 6 times in rounds numbers faster than it travels in air, you would need a boat capable of speeds far out of reach of anything used for fishing. The reason for the angle is so the face is pushing into clean water and limiting the turbulence off it's leading edge.

I ran the numbers once for a given depth and the speed required was well over 1000 Knots.