Thread: Simrad Go9 or new Lowrance hds9 Live

Simrad Go9 or new Lowrance hds9 Live

I was asking for an advice here which fishfinder/map combo to buy, had decided on Simrad Go9, but was busy with other things in my life and didn't buy it back then.

Now I'm going to buy something within next few days and noticed they released new Lowrance HDS9 live. I know it's not realy apples to apples comparison, as Lowrance is whole $ grand more expensive, so my question is it worth it? Or should I stick to the original plan and buy Simrad go9?

I do have a budget for HDS live, just not sure if it's $1k better?

What would you choose?

Re: Simrad Go9 or new Lowrance hds9 Live

Try this out for a bit of real life feedback. Part of the upload is dedicated to the Lowrance unit.
    Might not give you all the specs and details but you see it working and get some honest feedback.

It's Reedys Rigs YouTube channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The GO series are good units, i have GO7xse myself. I like them!

But the new HDS live has more power, a far faster dual core processor, better screen resolution and viewing angles and can also run the soon to be released Livesight features which is similar to Garmins panoptix.

If you are in Brisbane, Northside Marine has runout specials on HDS Carbon 9’s for $1699 which would also be a solid stup upwards from GO XSE. Thats with no map or transducer though. They will have a better screen and faster processor and more power than GO series. Combo touch screen and buttons, whereas GO series are purely touch.

https://www.northsidemarine.com.au/o...in-touch-combo
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks guys!

That's a good deal on HDS Carbon, Moonlighter, thanks for the link.

So now I'm torn between this HDS Carbon 9 ($1700 + $250 transducer + cost of map)
    and
    HDS Live 9 ($2700 with transducer + cost of map)

So what else would I miss with Carbon in comparison to Live, other than faster processor (is it noticable?) an possibility of Livesight (will I need a separate transducer for that?)

Yes for livesight you will need a special Livesight transducer not yet released - maybe $1500?

Carbon will be able to run livesight, but will need a external module est cost about $250, plus the Livesight transducer.

Both will run the new Active Imaging transducer which is a replacement for Totalscan, so whatever you do, dont get Totalscan, the Active Imaging one is far better from all reports.

I think HDS Live gets a new type of screen that is super bright and can be viewed at all angles if you are wearing polarised sunnies.

While it has a faster engine, I doubt you would notice it much unless you are running a more complex network with things like radar, autopilot, audio and networked transducers with 3 D and so on.

Just to make things even more interesting, have a look at the new Lowrance Elite Ti2 9” bundle at Northside, $1399 with Active Imaging transducer and CMap Australia wide maps included. This Ti2 range is one tier below HDS Live, the same as GOxse is one tier below Simrad NSS series.

Less networking capability than HdS series, but still a very nice package that will do the job. No Livesight capability though.

https://www.northsidemarine.com.au/o...TTLE,%20MARINE
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks Moonlighter,

I found a detailed comparison online that states that both Hds Carbon and Live share exactly same screen and that quad-core processor is only installed on 12' and 16' units. For 7' and 9' units the difference between Carbon and Live is non existent if livesight is not going to be used.

Thanks again, you helped me to make a choice, I just have ordered a HDS Carbon from your link above! Cheers mate

I just bought a Live. Pretty amazing unit, but I am still learning all the ins and outs. I have a few problems with it, but that's to do with transducer location on my boat rather than a problem with the unit itself. Under 10 knots it works fine.

The thing that amazes me the most about it is that sidescan. Never used it before, but it picks up everything. You can even see ripples that you see in sand when the tide goes out.

It seems to run out of poke at around 15-20m of depth, but I suspect that is user error rather than the unit itself. I have managed to get the downscan and normal sounder working in deeper water, but I think I need more time with it to make a fair judgement.

Best part of it, which I think is also on the Carbon, is that live mapping part. You can get awesome accurate charts of the areas you fish, so you know where every nook and cranny is.

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

HDS Live come loaded with C-Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    Thanks guys!

That's a good deal on HDS Carbon, Moonlighter, thanks for the link.

So now I'm torn between this HDS Carbon 9 ($1700 + $250 transducer + cost of map)
    and
    HDS Live 9 ($2700 with transducer + cost of map)

So what else would I miss with Carbon in comparison to Live, other than faster processor (is it noticable?) an possibility of Livesight (will I need a separate transducer for that?)

Stressless, do you know if it's c-map base map or something better, like C-Map max-N?