Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 2.8L motors

Re: Toyota 2.8L motors

certainly not a good look for the big T

reliability and resale were there cornerstone, burning loyal customers is pretty hard to come back from.

BigE

The Hilux has been on a downward spiral for many years now (since 2005) - A class leader & the choice of many over a lot of years now it is the ute to avoid.... or should

Surprisingly Toyota still have a loyal following but the latest model will be the end of that or should .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

There is a new 2.8 coming out, hopefully address some of the issues.

I wouldn't hold my breath. There's more than engine issues that are wrong about the hilux.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

What is exactly wrong with toyotas guys? A couple mates have toyotas and they have been great cars one was a hilux TD never had any faults

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

This year we had our 2015/16 models replaced with 2020 models because we could prove in court that each vehicle had cost us more in down time than it was worth. That's how bad. Other brands have their faults also, but generally they will voluntarily make good any known issue - Toyota had to be sued before they acknowledged any faults existed with their DPF's, driveshafts and air filter seals. Then there's the way the monstrous understeer is set up because they can't pass a moose test so they just add more turns lock to lock so you can't change direction quickly enough to roll it. To be fair they have improved, but we had a nightmare run with them to get here. For ford to be able to sell more twin cab 4X4's than toyota last year and other years, Toyota really dropped the ball.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

The 2.8 didn't only cause problems in the Hilux also the Hiace and Prado

Cheers Matt

GBC just me, those ford rangers have a lot of appeal as they appear to be a huge looking truck like utility and i think they sold a 2.2L thats a tiny engine for such a big truck

Unsure what fuel economy is like in one but cant be much being 2.2L turbo diesel?

I think the whole size of the ute took things to the next level on the aussie market as before they came out the only option was a F250 @ 200k

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Toyota has sadly been in decline for the last decade & with very few exceptions their range of cars hover between woeful & mediocre . Unfortunately new car buyers don't seem to realise this & as such Toyota still holds the #1 position for new car sales with that POS Hilux still being the #1 vehicle sold. . ……. Talk about living on past glories.

Landcruiser fans must be pretty anxious with the upcoming model dumping the V8 diesel in favour of a V6 Turbo diesel & V6 petrol …….. one can only imagine how poorly developed this vehicle will be ( a Toyota trend) .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Toyota has sadly been in decline for the last decade & with very few exceptions their range of cars hover between woeful & mediocre . Unfortunately new car buyers don't seem to realise this & as such Toyota still holds the #1 position for new car sales with that POS Hilux still being the #1 vehicle sold. . ……. Talk about living on past glories.

Landcruiser fans must be pretty anxious with the upcoming model dumping the V8 diesel in favour of a V6 Turbo diesel & V6 petrol …….. one can only imagine how poorly developed this vehicle will be ( a Toyota trend) .

Chris
    Unfortunately it's all cars these days and the car companies don't give a rats as courtesy of our piss weak lemon laws, it's nigh on impossible for the consumer to do anything about it. If I had to pick a brand of the more common vehicles that sees the least amount of bad press, it would be Isuzu but I guess it's pretty easy to be on top of things when there are only a couple of models in your range.

The new cruiser will be an interesting one. The V6 thing wouldn't have been an issue if the vehicle had of followed the 100 series assuming the reliability was ok. If it proves to have enough poke for the grey nomad thing, sales will continue as normal I suspect.

The problem is it’s the governments that are causing the problems in the first place. If it wasn’t for emissions laws ratcheting up faster than the tech then it wouldn’t be a problem. Take the DPF’s/emission related stuff off and most of the major car companies major problems go away.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

The change in engine in the Nissan Patrol was their demise. (Diesel) 4.2 to 2.8, then a really bad 3, then a better 3 and now I believe something like a 6 litre petrol (I think)

I’ve also heard that Nissan are considering a V8 in an attempt to win back market share from Toyota

I have no inside knowledge here, just things that I have heard

Interesting times ahead for the large 4x4 fellows (I’m one). I do a bit of outback bashing, but not as much as we used to. GAZZA the fords may look big and tough but they are not that tough outback unless things have been changing.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Unfortunately it's all cars these days and the car companies don't give a rats as courtesy of our piss weak lemon laws, it's nigh on impossible for the consumer to do anything about it. If I had to pick a brand of the more common vehicles that sees the least amount of bad press, it would be Isuzu but I guess it's pretty easy to be on top of things when there are only a couple of models in your range.

The new cruiser will be an interesting one. The V6 thing wouldn't have been an issue if the vehicle had of followed the 100 series assuming the reliability was ok. If it proves to have enough poke for the grey nomad thing, sales will continue as normal I suspect.
    Mate it has nothing to do with our lemon laws …… remember these cars are designed & built for a global market - it boils down to R&D - How many corners they want to cut for the sake of profitability. The DPF for the 2.8 lt motor was basically an after thought …. rather than something integrated at the design stage - you just simply shouldn't have these kind of problems in a well designed & thoroughly tested vehicle …… The Japanese used to be really good at R&D - & yet the likes of Toyota & Honda have fallen way behind . Nissan post GFC … same deal - these days it's the Koreans that are leading the charge in Asia.
    As for the D Max - It's basically a 10yo Colorado ……. It will be interesting to see what the next model will be like with the new collaboration with Mazda.

It's pretty dire when you see just how bad the 4x4 ute category is today - - either they underperform , suffer design / quality issues or both . Then we have our lemon laws .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    The change in engine in the Nissan Patrol was their demise. (Diesel) 4.2 to 2.8, then a really bad 3, then a better 3 and now I believe something like a 6 litre petrol (I think)

I’ve also heard that Nissan are considering a V8 in an attempt to win back market share from Toyota

Interesting times ahead for the large 4x4 fellows (I’m one). I do a bit of outback bashing, but not as much as we used to. GAZZA the fords may look big and tough but they are not that tough outback unless things have been changing.

Maybe not as tough as the Toyota’s. Maybe they are. I’ve found the Toyota fan boys are always real quiet when one detonated or their chassis bends in half towing across country. One things for sure is I’d take that old ford 5cycl 3.2 Diesel over the current Toyota 2.8 or the previous 3L any day. That model of ranger showed that Toyota had been taking the piss out of Australians for at least a decade.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post

The current V8 Patrol (petrol) is actually a cracker of a car ……. As good as the Landcruiser & in some ways better ( if you can put up with the ugly rear end)
    As someone once said to me …… you can by a hell of a lot of petrol for the difference in price between the LC & Patrol - with the break even point being reached at around 400,000 km . Unfortunately the resale (depreciation) value also comes into play - LC hold their value like no other
    Those 4.2 Patrol diesels still have a big following - they really were a truck .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO