Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with braided line.

Problem with braided line.

Hi guys, have any of you had problems with braid breaking way lower than it rated strength?

Here is a bit of a background, I just received my new toy, a Makaira MK-30, so I thought I would spool it up with some 100Lb braid and then put a top shot of mono over it. As all my bulk spools are about 5 years old and have been sitting in the shed, I decided to test them to see if they had deteriorated.

I have a metal frame in the shed weighing approx 55Lb, (used two different scales to check weight, 0.3Kg variance), used two 13mm shackles and put a loop in each end of the line and about 200mm between the loops. One shackle to the frame and the other to lift it. Each test I did I could not get this frame off the floor before the line snapped in the middle. The braid didn't snap at the knots, only in the middle of the line, so I figured that time and heat had effected the braid so I ordered a new spool of 100lb spool of braid from Anglers Warehouse in Tweed heads. The guys there said it had come in recently so it was a fresh spool.

I did the same test and it also broke same as the other lines I tested, in between the 2 loops and not at the knots. I would have thought that a 100lb rated braid should easily lift a 55lb weight off the floor, if it broke at the knots I could understand, but not in the middle of the line.

So my question is, is 100lb breaking strain braid not 100lb in a smooth vertical lift and no jerking involved or do I need to get 150-200Lb braid just to lift 55Lb off the floor?
    I have contacted the shop where I got it from and they referred me to Shimano Sydney. Spoke to them and they will check with Shimano over in the states and get back to me, am waiting to hear what they say.

Did the same test with 80lb Platypus Platinum mono line and no problem lifting it off the floor.

In the mean time have any of you guys had a similar issue with premature braid breakages or am I doing something wrong in my testing? I would have thought that 100lb is 100lb.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Problem with braided line.

If your able to lift the frame with the 80lb line then there is no doubt that the 100lb isn't performing to its specs. Definitely keen to hear what Shimano has to say.

Yep, something wrong with the braid. I had the other problem where supposedly 30lb braid was actually 48lb, would be fine except it was thick which is why I tested it,a well known brand. When queried I was told they understate the breaking strain otherwise they couldn't compete with others that did the same.

i stopped using braid because i feel most of its made in china, same with majority of fishing rods, the braid would snap easy so i figured while the chinese can manufacture rods and reels etc , with braid weave i guess they wouldnt be up to the same high quality build as say the good ol usa....in regards to correct breaking strain.

does anyone know if braid is all non dynamic or can you get braid with a bit of stretch to it?

There are quite a few low stretch braids out there, Platypus do one.

Seeing most people fish braid with breaking strains well in excess of the rod design, I can't really see too much issue using a line that breaks at about 50lb on a 24kg rod......would much prefer the braid to break than the rod.

I gave up using powerpro (shimano) years ago for multiple reasons.
    Jack.

From what I understand braid does stretch, but only about 5% or something, this braid is Power Pro 100lb test, and labeled made in the USA. So looks like the "Made in the USA" is no guarantee that it is good. Thinking more about it, looks like I will now switch all my reels to mono again, whilst braid may be technically stronger and give me more line capacity on a reel, it certainly doesn't inspire me to have confidence in it's strength. I would rather have half the line length but confidence in the line, but at least when I up the drag I don't have to stress about whether or not the braid will snap for no good reason. I certainly don't want to check every new spool I buy just to make sure it is up to spec.
    In this test, it broke at less than half the rated strength on a brand new spool! I would rather have the line break above spec rather than well below.

It may be of benefit for everyone to check their braid lines as well, just in case mine isn't an isolated case, after all how many fishermen check the strength of their line when they get a new spool, usually we just take the manufacturers word.

"Tunaticer", I am a bit the other way on that, the drag on the MK-30 is 25kg, so if I need to lock up the drag then I don't want to have the line snap on me that easily that way, having a 24Kg rod doesn't mean that you have to high stick it with 24Kg on the rod tip. You can slow a large fish down by angling the rod down as it pulls away leaving the reels drag to do the work instead of the rod. Hence the reason for the 100lb line, I have never snapped a rod by having a line class or two above a rods rating.

Testing a short length of braid doesn't give a accurate result because of its low stretch only some of the individual fibre take up the strain and it will break between the knot.Fins used to claim their braid would not break at the knot, it was all because they tested a small length.

Powerpro has had issues with quality for a number of years now ..... anecdotally. Enough though that many people I know no longer use it .
    The truth is that not all braids are the same ...... and you usually get what you pay for. The better Japanese braids will break near to the breaking strain indicated. Many other braids will break well over . Depends what your expectations are.
    Braids out of China will be of dubious quality ..... I certainly don’t know of any decent braids out of there

Typically decent quality braid will cost you around $80-120 / 300m ...... if you are not paying that then you are rolling the dice or quality and consistency isn’t a concern

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Use Tasline braid and your problems and concerns go away. It can also be ordered to custom spool lengths too so zero waste.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Powerpro has had issues with quality for a number of years now ..... anecdotally. Enough though that many people I know no longer use it .
    The truth is that not all braids are the same ...... and you usually get what you pay for. The better Japanese braids will break near to the breaking strain indicated. Many other braids will break well over . Depends what your expectations are.
    Braids out of China will be of dubious quality ..... I certainly don’t know of any decent braids out of there

Typically decent quality braid will cost you around $80-120 / 300m ...... if you are not paying that then you are rolling the dice or quality and consistency isn’t a concern

Chris
    Have all my offshore gear loaded up with PowerPro. I haven't had an issue that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Have all my offshore gear loaded up with PowerPro. I haven't had an issue that I can recall.
    Same here - I use it for deep drop, trolling and reef fishing - on all my boat reels (about 10) - very difficult to break - I do buy it from US - best braid I have used.

Maybe Tasline is better - might try that some time.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Depends on your use , expectations and what you are comparing it against ....... my own experiences based around the several spools given to me over the years reinforced the inconsistencies in the line ..... breaking strain and random breakages where the line breaks for no apparent reason. Typically this is noticed on casting outfits in both spin and baitcast .

Dont worry I recently found the same issue with Daiwa J braid where I could break 50lb braid at 30lb of pressure..... measured.
    A line like Tasline won’t......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I also have used Powerpro for quite a few years, no issues at all with unexpected breakages. Also use their colour change braid in 50lb on a Saragossa 25000 up at the reef, and I can say that it is damn hard to break it off if you get reefed, I run 60 lb flouro leader and the leader always breaks first.

I have also started to use Shimano Kairiki braid in some of the lighter breaking strains, very pleased with it so far.

Just my experience.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Interestingly most braids now are thicker than a few years back. Those that say equivalent size to a mono size I ignore as that is a huge scope of sizes. Maybe Powerpro is ok now but I did have breakages early on but it used to be thinner (had an old spool and i distinctly remember comparing it to a newer spool later). Bionic was well understated. Most of my offshore reels are loaded with Daiwa tournament, pretty close to the breaking strain and thin and silky. Problem with braid is the smallest nick will substantially reduce its strength. For inshore only use 6lb Nano and found it Damn strong. Lately been playing with Gliss, jury still out as have not had it long enough yet.