Thread: smoking bacon in a weber kettle

smoking bacon in a weber kettle

has anyone tried smoking bacon in a weber kettle.
    not sure if it can be done but if so would appreciate being told the process.
    troy

Re: smoking bacon in a weber kettle

weber is perfect, all that smoke waffling around the curved lid bouncing back to the already copius amounts of smoked bacon bits.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Use lump charcol and ignite naturally, dont use the chemical jiffy firelighters..sought out a little rack and hang bacon over it..... For added smoke use wood chips that are pre soaked in your favourite beverage.....alternatively you can wrap wood chips inside a foil parcel and cut a little vent on the top , this way is tidy and you can use it in a gas BBQ too......while your at it freshly shucked oysters and tea leaves smoking away finished with a drizzle of extra virgin.. bon appettit.

Troy check out this site http://smokefireandfood.com/forum/
    Cheers Craig
    from Echuca on the murray river

Thanks craig,
    Have not had a look at the link yet but just in case how many beads and temperature and how long to smoke it.
    Thanks
    Troy

Had a look but not sure of what is the fuse in the kettle.
    Troy

Google the “snake method”.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Been smoking stuff in a Weber for years, I find one basket of heat beads is plenty, get beads hot (white) move to one side and place meat/fish/whatever on the other side away from direct heat, put wood/smoking chips on beads, close vents and have a beer or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Been smoking stuff in a Weber for years, I find one basket of heat beads is plenty, get beads hot (white) move to one side and place meat/fish/whatever on the other side away from direct heat, put wood/smoking chips on beads, close vents and have a beer or two!
    Thanks Noelm,
    will give it a go but what is the fuse on a weber kettle.
    Thanks
    Troy

Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    Thanks Noelm,
    will give it a go but what is the fuse on a weber kettle.
    Thanks
    Troy
    Hey troy , the fuse is also what they call snake method, just lining the briquettes in a spiral pattern, same like lighting a fuse... is that what your refering too?

so what type of bacon to smoke i guess.......if you like to try chicken breasts or thighs it is well worth soaking the meat in a brine solution for a few hours and can be assured they wont dry out in the weber.........remember donkey years ago a nice old bloke cooked us some double smoked bacon, nicest flavour ever..

I have just killed a couple of pigs and put the belly pork in the brine to try out for smoking bacon in a weber kettle.
    If I had a proper smoke house I would be doing the full loins with the belly pork attached but that was when I was a butcher and had all the facilities.
    So now I have to be content with trying it in the weber so if it does not turn out it is just a expience that could go wrong as I have just done my roasts in the weber which has been fine.
    Thanks
    Troy

It won't be a waste, but, it might take a bit of experimenting to get everything right, like how many heat beads, how much wood chips, what brine mix, stuff like that, just do one and try, then adjust as your results indicate, chicken comes out great, so does fish.

Can be done just needs some practice. I did a 12 hour pork shoulder (collar butt) and ribs last weekend on weber.

Easiest way I have found to get a long cook with minimal input is to use a smokenator (easy to make if you are handy). just google it.

Load as many heat bead as you can in the holes on the sides with some wood chunks amongst them, keep the area under the water tray clear except for one or two chunks of wood.

Get 8 heat beads going in a chimney until white (8 is the magic number for me), then add them in the square hole under the water tray, pop in water tray and fill with very hot or boiling water (if you use cold water you waste your heat beads heating up the water).

Add meat, top vent half open (don't touch top vent again), adjust bottom vent to keep air temp in side around 110 deg C. (I just leave a probe hanging through the top vent). Bottom vent adjustment will depend on outside weather conditions.

Each hour or so keep an eye on the small water tray and top up as necessary, if all the water evaporates the temp will increase rapidly. If temp starts to fall and opening bottom vent doesn't help give the beads a poke through the round holes to stir them up. Remember there is a lag between vent adjustments and temp changes so just be patient.

You should get 4-5 hours without having to add any more beads.

Few pics below of different stages of the cook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just used Noelms method and tossed in a few pieces of bark from a gum tree.
    Did the bellies and turned out fine but a little salty as I think I left them in the brine a bit long and not being to thick I should have just left them in for a day.
    But no regrets and thanks to all for advise.
    Troy

Yep, that's the way, the first couple of goes are the experimental stage, once you do a few, you will know how salty, how many heat beads and how long to cook, it's kind of fun.