Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar cod off Caloundra 15.01.2019

Bar cod off Caloundra 15.01.2019

Gday guys, just a brief report from last Tuesday. Left Caloundra at 4.00am for a great trip out to the 100m area for a couple of nice pearlies. Then with little wind and very light current we went to the 200m area and found good shows of fish. First drop saw one nice cod each. This was followed by another each and then up comes an 82cm snapper. Unlucky fish or lucky us, I am not sure? We continued to get our 10 cod very easily and then sounded out to350m looking for something different. Had a drop on a good show for only a shark. Cleaned up and headed home. Back in the passage before 2.00pm to clean the fish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9517.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	118557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9518.JPG 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	118558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9522.JPG 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	118559

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Bar cod off Caloundra 15.01.2019

Nice feed well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Yeah great stuff, always love your reports.... If only my 4.2M tinny could make it out there

nice one...those are fair size tubs too barely holding the fish inside how long does it take to get 350mtrs and you'd need a good lump of lead wouldnt you?

Hi Catshark, we were only using 1.5kg of lead as there was no current or wind really. That trip was our first proper fish with the electrics and they sure make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Some nice eating there
    Which electrics are you using?
    So you got the cod closer to 200m and saw nothing out about 350m?
    Cheers

Trev

Trevelly, yeh mate all cod and snapper in 200m. Found fish in 350m but only pulled 1 green eye shark and pulled the pin. I am running Tanacom Bull 1000 electrics and they handled to 200m with some good cod no worries. A couple of drops had 2 cod on and no worries however in the 350m I saw some smoke coming from the drag when nearly up to the top with only the shark. Now this maybe my own fault with possibly having the drag too loose and it slipping too much. I’ll find out next time I am out there.
    Our plan was to fish for the cod to get a good feed then head wider in search of something different. I am really keen to catch a flame snapper, this is next on my list.

Cheers
    Lee

Deep sea fishing for cod ,, another level really isnt , they look like they be good eating. reckon the bites on the rod tip would look like a nibble being so deep

Gday guys, just interested to hear what some of you deep droppers make of this show? We had a drop on it for a green eye shark only and pulled out to come home. Got the mark to try again another day.
    Wire weed maybe???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9516.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	118563

They mix together Lee - you can pull up green eyes all day or you can get one cod to every 10 green eyes. You only find out by giving it a good go and yes it is frustrating when you pull up a string with 3 or 4 large green eye sharks and then repeat next drift - a lot of wasted effort and time for what you get.
    I would not right off a spot too fast.
    I have some marks in 300m that give a show like you display and they are sometimes 50m x 200m and get both cod to 30kg and heaps of green eyes from these shows and have done the same many times not just once. The cod can be in amongst the sharks and fire some days and have lock jaw on others. Green eye sharks never seem to stop biting though
    I went out and a pro boat got near 20 barcod to 30kg and hundreds of green eyes - be awesome if the numbers reversed :-)
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3898.jpg 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	118575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3897.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	118576  
    Cheers

Trev

Lee, hook size and bait size seems to matter. Smaller hooks and baits for the flames and larger all round for the cod. Green eyes, haven't worked them,out yet.

Thanks Trevelly, yeh I will certainly give the area another shot when I have more time. The 200m where I get the cod is pretty reliable so handy to be able to stop there and get a feed and then hunt further for other species. There must seriously be millions of those sharks out there!!!! Obviously a pest for a pro but the cod would make them smile.
    I think you need a fair bit of time to give this sort of deeper country a fair crack. Every drop takes so much longer than the shallows.

Sam, yeh we really only stuck to the same rig all day. This may be where I am going wrong. Also, I am not sure about those green lights. I was using one all day and my old man was not and I got lots of sharks and he got nil??? Interesting!!!

Here is a bit of video from last Tuesday. It drags on a bit but shows the Tanacom Bull 1000 in action.

Cheers
    Lee

Wow how much room you guys have in the boat and so clean and everything in order,, @ 17:20 ol mate goes for the broom and scrub scrub the floor. i might have to carry a broom mop now, that looks fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58EAFE38-644A-40F1-9B94-80EE47097B28.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	118610
    This is bar cod and Bass grouper from our last trip