Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to pick a stable boat (at rest)

How to pick a stable boat (at rest)

Hey all,

Currently fish Westernport Bay down in Vic in a 4.6m Savage Streaker.

It’s a great boat, the only thing is it’s now a bit small for me (my family has caught the fishing bug) and I don’t like how it handles choppy water at rest (even though it’s an otherwise stable boat).

Would getting a bigger boat fix the stability issue (while at rest)?
    Is there certain things (or makes) I should look for?

Looking for a half cab around the 5.5-6m mark if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How to pick a stable boat (at rest)

All things boating are a compromise, stability means a flat bottom (on the boat that is) but a flat bottom means a rough ride, so, you need to meet in the middle, a moderate V bottom will give a decent ride with decent stability.

More or less what Noel said - or get a cat, tri hull or pontoon style rig (stabicraft etc). Possibly something like a Surtee's or Barcrusher with a water ballast system is another option.

i used to have a savage and i got tired of it rocking around to much, it used to bang in the chop too, anyhow maybe your streaker has a sharp deadrise at the stern. is it rocking around to much it hard to thread a hook..

Thanks Noelm - you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    More or less what Noel said - or get a cat, tri hull or pontoon style rig (stabicraft etc). Possibly something like a Surtee's or Barcrusher with a water ballast system is another option.
    Scottar funny you mention that - we were looking at the Barcrushers due to their water ballast system (amongst other things). I was thinking that a cat may solve my issue.

Would a heavier boat help? Or not really?

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i used to have a savage and i got tired of it rocking around to much, it used to bang in the chop too, anyhow maybe your streaker has a sharp deadrise at the stern. is it rocking around to much it hard to thread a hook..
    That’s interesting catshark - what Savage was it?

JV marine in melbourne, they have a seafearer victory........big plate boat....... and a single engine Seacat around the 20 k mark...

Large full length reverse chines help a lot with stability at rest as well as improving the travel spray and ride.
    Means you can still have a fairly deep vee with less pitching.
    Jack.

it was an older envoy model deadrise was about 12 degrees but it would rock and pitch and yawl ... perhaps a single engine cat like webster or a mako cat...go cats

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Large full length reverse chines help a lot with stability at rest as well as improving the travel spray and ride.
    Means you can still have a fairly deep vee with less pitching.
    Hit the nail on the head....fully agree

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    Thanks Noelm - you might be right.

Scottar funny you mention that - we were looking at the Barcrushers due to their water ballast system (amongst other things). I was thinking that a cat may solve my issue.

Would a heavier boat help? Or not really?

A heavier boat will typically be less lively at rest but hull design also comes into it. At the end of the day though everybody's feelings as to what is "stable enough" come down to the individual. I run a Seafarer Victory which as traditional mono's go has a good reputation as a good level of compromise between ride and stability at rest - but it will still roll - all boats do - some more than others. Cats probably offer the best combination of both ride and stability - effectively a big punt at rest but at a personal level, I can't stand the tunnel noise when going slow or sitting still in chop - plenty aren't bothered by it though. All you can pretty much do is take one for a ride yourself - don't rely on others opinions. Over the years I've seen opinions posted here that were at polar opposites to my own - everyone's opinion is coloured by their own experiences and will be different as such.

stability at rest...is a bit of a subjective issue....I fish out into Bass Strait and I always am keen to get back home again..whatever the weather...............In Westernport you are always not that far from shelter.....so I reckon changing boat simply to be a bit more comfortable in estuarine waters is a bit like burning money....so....if the family wants to be a bit more comfortable in enclosed waters...fine ...but if you want a boat capable of going further afield hull shape..is important ....assuming you dont want to spend megabucks on a new boat...just saying ..your boat may be a little small for the family ...but dont give deep vees away if you want to be safe out there as you expand your horizons..

Few of the cootacraft videos talk about stability and ride they say more deep v is good for ride where as less v is better for bobbing about i think the two were atound 17 degrees and 22 degrees i could be off its all new to me i just go out and buy a boat and live with it

Boat width (beam) comes into the picture as well - A narrow boat 2.15/2.2m will rock around more than a 2.3-2.4m boat .

As mentioned though , boat ownership is a compromise .

Just on the Barcrusher idea ( I have one) . The flooding hull works a treat when at rest ….. for a narrow boat it is very stable However it is a very noisy hull … As the air filled floatation chambers act like a drum kit ( bloop , plop , bloop , bloop ) . It doesn't seem to put fish off in the 20m plus water depth but I would be concerned in shallower waters .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Boat width (beam) comes into the picture as well - A narrow boat 2.15/2.2m will rock around more than a 2.3-2.4m boat .

As mentioned though , boat ownership is a compromise .

Just on the Barcrusher idea ( I have one) . The flooding hull works a treat when at rest ….. for a narrow boat it is very stable However it is a very noisy hull … As the air filled floatation chambers act like a drum kit ( bloop , plop , bloop , bloop ) . It doesn't seem to put fish off in the 20m plus water depth but I would be concerned in shallower waters .

Chris
    haines signature boats sure do make a great compromise. great stability at rest and a smooth ride because of the deep variable dead rise,. . The RF series has huge freeboard compared to everything else. Thats a few boxes ticked in your search. pricey but worth it.
    Flat bottom boats give you more bang for your buck, In more ways than one, lol