Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to pick a stable boat (at rest)

Re: How to pick a stable boat (at rest)

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Simple.

Grady White (think model is seafarer 226 or similar) hard top vs Coota Craft Badboy both 6.5m odd with 2.5m ish beam.

Weight is similar. GW variable deadrise (think they are about 20 at transom) vs BB 25 degree deadrise

Been in both many days, each has its own pros and cons in diff conditions but the BB seems more stable at rest esp with cross wind. Cross sea/chop comparable probably GW has edge. Standard anchor in front chop/sea Id prob pick the BB (not much in it though).

Driving in any sea conditions - no brainer which one.
    ok, let me ask another hard question. Orangjaybird, whats your budget. No point talking about esoteric boats as above if not within budget.
    I recon a GW canyon 336 will trump both those boats. At $400,000 odd, i would expect it.
    I suspect the budget aint that flexible. So , what i expecting was a discussion of boats in the $40-$60,000 range, not necessarily whats the absolute best out there. Which then brings into consideration the absolute thirst these boats have due to the size of the motors. I dont think too many people will gladly go from $50 juice for an outing to $200. I could be wrong again, but lets let orangejaybird clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    ok, let me ask the hard question. Orangjaybird, whats your budget. No point talking about esoteric boats as above if not within budget.
    Cheers Andy - budget is around $75k or $80k, but happy to spend less if we don’t need to spend that much to get something reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that should narrow the field somewhat, lol

Remember , we would all like a 175 or 250 on the back but it will cost you heaps every outing. A 150 is probably still going to be $50-$80 per outing.

I checked them all out and thought a signature ticked more boxes than the rest. Great family boat as its reg for 7 people. Great finish, your wife will be happy to go out. . Great ride and good stability.

HH are nice boats but do not have the latest ideas on freeboard.

The big quintrexes/stacers are also worth looking at. They certainly are stable boats and have heaps of freeboard. they may not ride as well as a signature but are most acceptable driving just a bit slower.
    The big quintrexes have plenty of room. Check out their competitors too. .

Barcrushers are good fishing boats but for my money, too small for families.

Pontoon boats are for hard core fishos.

anyone have another brand that ticks a few boxes for orangjaybird?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I recon a GW canyon 336 will trump both those boats. At $400,000 odd, i would expect it.
    I suspect the budget aint that flexible. So , what i expecting was a discussion of boats in the $40-$60,000 range, not necessarily whats the absolute best out there. Which then brings into consideration the absolute thirst these boats have due to the size of the motors. I dont think too many people will gladly go from $50 juice for an outing to $200. I could be wrong again, but lets let orangejaybird clear that up.

I made a general point about waterline weight distribution and how it affects stability, you asked me to justify this with a specific example, which I did using 2 similar size spec'd boats. There are other plenty of other examples which also demonstrates the point, more weight above water will change stability - put a heavy hard top or tower on a boat and see what happens.

Comparing with a different size boat such as GW 336 is ridiculous - comparisons should be within similar size.

Fuel usage (another compromise) is beside the point - the same basic principal applies weight below waterline will increase stability - above will decrease it.

But as mentioned eariler in thread everything in boats are a compromise.

80 grand is getting into new Stacer territory, or near new custom build brands, plenty to choose from with that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by frank100 View Post
    Get A Barcrusher !
    Why a Barcrusher over the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    I made a general point about waterline weight distribution and how it affects stability, you asked me to justify this with a specific example, which I did using 2 similar size spec'd boats. There are other plenty of other examples which also demonstrates the point, more weight above water will change stability - put a heavy hard top or tower on a boat and see what happens.

Comparing with a different size boat such as GW 336 is ridiculous - comparisons should be within similar size.

Fuel usage (another compromise) is beside the point - the same basic principal applies weight below waterline will increase stability - above will decrease it.

But as mentioned eariler in thread everything in boats are a compromise.
    I agree with you !!!!!! I was trying to be smart with an analogy, sorry it didnt come across as i had in mind. I was thinking the boats you picked were more esoteric than what most people would look at.

Noelm, I may be slightly biased (I own one ) but stability at rest (especially when people move around) is one of the reasons I brought it. I usually find other boats I have been on move around a lot more (not that I've been in many)
    Frank