Thread: Corrosion in antenna connections

Corrosion in antenna connections

I have been getting reduced range in my VHF so started by unscrewing the antenna and found severe corrosion in the connection. Now when I installed the antenna I went to the trouble of putting dual wall heatshrink over the screw-on outer connection as I had no need to remove the antenna, thinking this would resolve the issue but it seems not to have helped. Is there any way to prevent this corrosion happening other than unscrewing the antenna after each trip, spraying the connections and capping them, another maintenance job to add to the list. Took a pic but it is too large to post and I don't have the facilities at the moment to reduce its size.

Re: Corrosion in antenna connections

The heat shrink might have helped cause it by trapping moisture in the fitting (as it expands and shrinks).

I would try thoroughly cleaning it (to remove all deposits of corrosion) and then cost it in dialectic grease (to protect it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    The heat shrink might have helped cause it by trapping moisture in the fitting (as it expands and shrinks).

I would try thoroughly cleaning it (to remove all deposits of corrosion) and then cost it in dialectic grease (to protect it).

The dual wall heatshrink has a mastic lining which should have sealed it, I actually had a piece over the joint and another layer over that so it should have been well and truly sealed. I've looked over the antenna and it appears to be in good nick ie no cracks but there must be some hairline cracks somewhere. I guess I'll just have to take the antenna off each trip and do some maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    The dual wall heatshrink has a mastic lining which should have sealed it, I actually had a piece over the joint and another layer over that so it should have been well and truly sealed. I've looked over the antenna and it appears to be in good nick ie no cracks but there must be some hairline cracks somewhere. I guess I'll just have to take the antenna off each trip and do some maintenance.
    Hmm the mastic should have put and end to that then!

I’d try just adding dialectic grease over the joint, and then replace the heat shrink and see how that goes for a month. I reckon the dialectic grease should repel the corrosion from the contact points

Any antenna that seperates from the base has this issue fairly regularly - more so if they get folded down when the boat is washed - they ain't waterproof from the bottom. Not a real lot that can be done about it apart from changing to an antenna that doesnt seperate from it's screw fitting (just need to find one that is a quality build and has the cable entry waterproofed properly). Only other option (I think they are still available) is a GME AE30 but it's only a 3' antenna. I have had these on my rig since I bought it and they are still functional - but I do intend replacing them as part of the rebuild (12 years old now).

The dual wall heatshrink is not waterproof. The stuff gets old, the glue goes hard, and it leaks. Its great stuff, but its not permanent. I have had a few blues with people here about it over the years, but I have also had to work with electronics that is submerged in seawater so I know a thing or too about it,

Some sort of dialectric grease, or silicone grease/sealant will be better, but still not a permanent solution. The best cure is regular treatment with clean water and a follow up with something like lanox. The only guaranteed solution is positive air pressure, but you need a compressor and a redesign of the antenna for that.

I cant preach enough about lanox, its cheap, it works well, its not the best, but its the best bang for your buck. It also requires regular treatment, maybe not every trip, but a few times a year is good.

Thanks guys, seems it's going to be a take off every trip and maitain.

I'm with Scottar. Replace the whole aerial for a one piece and the problem goes away.
    I did this a while back and haven't had any further issues.
    I also moved away from GME completely after finding their gear doesn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Almako View Post
    I'm with Scottar. Replace the whole aerial for a one piece and the problem goes away.
    I did this a while back and haven't had any further issues.
    I also moved away from GME completely after finding their gear doesn't last.
    Mine was a Pacific 6dbi 2.4m which is supposedly better quality, I'll look for a complete unit but haven't found one yet locally, I guess I'll have to use professor google. I know what your saying about gme, I haven't been too impressed with them especially epirbs and microphones. The cable on my mic is cracking up badly and they $60 to replace it. Tossing up whether to buy a new vhf at this stage as I'm sure the insides are probably on their way out.