Thread: Penn Slammer 111

Penn Slammer 111

Looking at the newish Penn slammers any one got one what's the opinion on them.

Mark

Re: Penn Slammer 111

Haven’t got one but I know a lot of the charter boats now use them. Might say something.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have used them for ages magic the slammer a bit of nice gear infact i have 4 Penns.

For the money they are a pretty good reel .... I think it speaks volumes when a high end operation like Nomad uses them .

BTW - I have a never used 8500 if any one is interested .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have 3 of them - awesome reals that I have caught some insane fish on. They are pretty bulletproof and can handle a lot of abuse. Highly recommended. I have used them for bog snapper in deep water, trolling for Marlin (and landing a few) and fighting big reef fish up in 1770.

I've had one about 6 months. A 5500 size. It's great. Super drag and built tough. Just caught my first kingfish on it last weekend too.
    A question some other more experienced folk could help with - do these reels have or are they meant to have a clicker ?
    I do enjoy the basic build of the reel, less to go wrong I guess. A clicker would be nice. Or maybe I should read the instructions , ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free Membership

Hi mate,

Hopefully you've bought a new reel by now, but if anyone else was thinking of picking up a slammer I recon they're not a bad piece of kit. The line lays very evenly and the drag is impressive to say the least.

If you are looking at a size with a high speed model I'd recommend getting one of those over the standard gearing though, I have a HS and the pump to wind ratio is so much better.
    You can check your bait quicker if you recon some bloody husser might've stripped it, Lure speed and action is easier to achieve and the red and black looks awesome.

Once you've used one you wont want to go back to a slow ratio reel ever again.

Just my 02c

Alex.

Hi sore arms do you have the 6500 of 8500? Been thinking of getting a 6500

Free Membership

Hi mate, where are you from and what are you targeting?

I was tossing up between the 6500 and 8500 as well, but decided on the 6500 as being more practical for me and haven't regretted not going for the 8500 once yet.

I use it for fishing around the reefs/wrecks up here (bottom bashing, livebaiting, jigging, trolling, casting surface lures) and it has more than enough power to stop some serious fish dead in their tracks provided you can keep a hold of your gear. You'd need to be superman to hold onto an 8500 at full drag.

I have gone back down to 60lb braid on it and have just under 300m on the spool so didn't need the extra capacity of the 8500 either, the reel easily has the power to run heavier though if you can get away with less line length.

Alex.

Well mate this might surprise you but I am after a reel to hold about 200m of 30 pound mono to bait fish the barrier reef shallows. The thing that appeals to me about this reel is the good spool capacity to relatively light weight, super drag, good seals and lightning quick retrieve for pulling the reefies away from their hidey holes. When you combine this wish list the penn slammer 3’s stand out and to me this one ticks the boxes

Free Membership

Yeah man it wont even break a sweat on 30 lb line, the 8500 would be waaaaay too much overkill for that application.

Any of the larger reefies will totally smoke you into structure on 30lb though, but if you decide you need to run heavier in the future it'll do it no worries.

Alex.

Hi mate yes you are right 30 pound mono straight to the hook is pretty risky in reefy country but when the red throat are on I take the gamble as it is such a quick an easy re-tie when you get busted off. You do get bust offs but I find you still land more fish as you spend more time fishing and not tieing knots.

Definitely going to go and have a close look at the 6500hs now!

Cheers

Go in the middle and get a 7500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

I put up a post a few days ago on the same issue!

BCF stores have a huge stack of the various egg beaters from fifty bucks to over fifteen hundred!

I had a look at the Penn Slammer III 8500 for offshore fishing and although a beautiful looking and feeling reel, it was a bit low on my 35 lb line capacity for deep offshore work! Only about 250 metres fully loaded I think off hand!

I eventually went for the Saragosa 20000 that is presently selling at BCF for around $260 vs the Penn at $450 though you might beat that price down a bit!

The Saragosa is a serious offshore reel and holds around 310 metres ..... so they say ...... I only got about 290 on mine!

It's very light for a reasonably big reel though my heart said get the Penn but my wallet said the Saragosa!

I'm going out with Big Cat Charters on what looks like a magnificent Sunday coming up so there might be a Saragosa going cheap on Monday if it doesn't perform as I want it to!

Not sure if you watch youtube channels but Rod from Rokkit Kid uses them on his kayak due to their water resistance.
    I've never owned any Penn gear as I thought they were second grade behind Shimano and Daiwa but marketing is a powerful thing and I'm changing my tune hearing Nomad (and Rokkit) use them and rely on them.