Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 4.2 m Stacer with 30 Hp-first time boat purchase.

Looking to buy a 4.2 m Stacer with 30 Hp-first time boat purchase.

Looking at a few listings here in QLD for my first ever boat purchase,looked over a few 4.2 m boats with 30 HP motor,had one lined up
    that had a 30 HP Suzuki 2008 motor on friday for $2800 but seller pulled out. I have since found another listing by a boat dealer at Yatala a Stacer 4.2 m with 2002 Yamaha 30 HP motor,has flat floor and useful looking bimini -listed price $3900, but can pay cash so could put an offer in.

Does anyone here have similar or same as above? any advice would be appreciated,never bought a boat before,I'd like to take someone with me if I go to this Yatala dealer that has experience but cannot get on to any boating mates at present.So thought I'd ask here on what to look out for. I do prefer a 4.2 with 25/30 hp motor,the design of front and high sides seems to give a chance to sneak out side on a good day for a bit to chase mackerel.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Looking to buy a 4.2 m Stacer with 30 Hp-first time boat purchase.

Probably be better if you gave us a model, Stacer have made hundreds of different 4.2m boats, some cheap, some not so, 30HP will be a minimum, more than 3 people and it will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Probably be better if you gave us a model, Stacer have made hundreds of different 4.2m boats, some cheap, some not so, 30HP will be a minimum, more than 3 people and it will struggle.
    Agree with Noelm.30 HP would be underpowered in my opinion.
    Shawn

I would think 4k is a bit steep for a 2002 30hp but its the usual case of a shop rear ending you for their sake of making a buck on a customer, i recently sold a 25hp Yamaha 2004 for $700 as a guide

what u can do is piece together a price what is the boat worth? trailer worth? and engine worth? than tally it up and make a offer to the shop

being summer everything cost more than as in winter, in winter u would probably get that 4k boat for $2.8k

A 30 on a lighter open tinny will be OK, but start adding floors and casting decks and stuff, and the weight just gets out of hand, you can put a lot of "stuff" in a 4.2M tinny, or buy one of the fully fitted out models, and a 50-60HP is what you need.

A 30 on a lighter open tinny will be OK, but start adding floors and casting decks and stuff, and the weight just gets out of hand.
    100% agree. Our first boat was a 4.2 dingy with a 25hp tohatsu and it was PERFECT for us in the estuaries...it only had a small ply floor & with just Clarry and me it was great.

We’ve had a couple of 4.2s since then, each one heavier and more decked out than the previous one. We have a 40 on the back of the present one but it’s a much more solid boat with full casting decks etc and though the 40 is absolutely fine I wouldn’t go any lower and when we re-power it we’ll go for a 50.

Sorry was a Stacer 'Sea Horse' thanks everyone for all your helpful advice-its been very good to read!

Darter 3 years ago i bought a 4.3 meter tinny 30hp Yamaha 3 cylinder the 3 cylinder Yamaha's haul ass over any of the 30hp 2 cylinders this little tinny smashed along i think the carburetors may have been upgraded to a higher hp because it had so much power it was crazy fast

my mate found this boat on Gumtree in the middle of summer as a "Make and Offer" was classed as a meter boat and parked in a back ally way in the city of Sydney under a mulberry tree just deteriorating i offered $3500 and offer was accepted i think i over paid but had the cash and it was 40c sunny days, tinny was decked out with a nice carpeted floor and seats,floor was all nice frame work someone had spent a bit of time fitting it out it also had a side pocket with lid all carpeted

that 30hp Yamaha was oil injected

Looks good Gazza, That's about what I am looking for and about my budget, Thanks all for your advice and pointers I am learning more on what to look out for. Cheers.

The general rule of thumb is, budget allowing, choose something that has as close as possible to the maximum allowable HP. better to have an under stressed bigger motor with power to spare, than a smaller motor working it's ring out!

Had a look around and found a 3 cylinder 30 HP motor, how does this price seem Gazza? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/reed...aft/1206351747

I have had a bit of a look arround on Gumtree found this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/yata...01-/1204226033 its about what I am looking for in terms of size of boat,but going by advice here seems high price-I might put an offer in of $2500 cash and then look for a better motor.

cheapest way is to get a whole package, piecing one together will cost a whole lot more.
    the boat in that boat package to me looks a bit unusual. To me, the transom looks to have been modified somehow. I have never seen one shaped like that, maybe someone else can explain it!

Kind of looks like it was cut down to fit a short shaft outboard at some time, it looks like it has a long shaft now I think, so it will be too low?

If your keen on that tinny in the link go around and take a look at it see down the sides it looks like the aluminium is rippled (dented) if it is its from stress walk away if its just staining than it may be ok to purchase

Kind of looks like it was cut down to fit a short shaft outboard at some time, it looks like it has a long shaft now I think, so it will be too low?
    it's hard to see what's been done, if anything, from what it should look like. either way, it doesn't look right!