Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 4.2 m Stacer with 30 Hp-first time boat purchase.

Re: Looking to buy a 4.2 m Stacer with 30 Hp-first time boat purchase.

I'll steer clear of the one in above link,but its a bit of an idea of what I am after,might hang back till winter and join a fishing club and get clued up a bot more,thanks for all that have put thoughts forward its been very helpful.

Darter don't be deterred because u found one bad egg mate there are tons of great boats out there, Have u tried looking on Gumtree.com.au?

if your going to piece a rig together i would suggest buying a older model Honda, Yamaha, Mercury 4 stroke 40hp u should be able to pick one up on Gumtree for around $2000 $2350 if u haggle it leaves u a bit of coin to buy a hull and trailer but usually if u set out on a 4k budget in summer a lot of people ask to much for there boats because it is the silly season and everyone wants to go boating and fishing

in winter the last thought on someone's mine is getting your shoes off in 14c weather with water just as cold to launch the boat so its harder for people to sell a boat in winter and a lot easier to find a cheaper and better rig as a buyer

a lot of people try sell their boats in winter too because they arn't using them for a good portion of the year people see it as invested money just depreciating when a boat sits throughout the colder months

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Seahorse hulls are great , it looks like good buying if the motor is ok . MATT
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Two 25L tanks and a hydrofoil would suggest he does some good runs in that tinny, those old Evinrude/Johnsons were really reliable engines, i think itsa good buy for $3400 could even be negotiable on inspection

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Darter don't be deterred because u found one bad egg mate there are tons of great boats out there, Have u tried looking on Gumtree.com.au?

if your going to piece a rig together i would suggest buying a older model Honda, Yamaha, Mercury 4 stroke 40hp u should be able to pick one up on Gumtree for around $2000 $2350 if u haggle it leaves u a bit of coin to buy a hull and trailer but usually if u set out on a 4k budget in summer a lot of people ask to much for there boats because it is the silly season and everyone wants to go boating and fishing

in winter the last thought on someone's mine is getting your shoes off in 14c weather with water just as cold to launch the boat so its harder for people to sell a boat in winter and a lot easier to find a cheaper and better rig as a buyer

a lot of people try sell their boats in winter too because they arn't using them for a good portion of the year people see it as invested money just depreciating when a boat sits throughout the colder months

Thanks Gazza - yes still looking,but I am certainly learning from all the advice that people here have kindly offered,I found this offering close to home https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/high...out/1206793913

Looks a bit bigger motor than some of the others I have looked at online.

while it's an honest little rig, just be mindful, the hull dates back to the 80's, and the motor is roughly a 1994 model, so it's an older package. the engine looks clean from the 1 pic, but it all needs to be checked properly due to it's age!

Have you priced a new one? a basic open tiller steer, manual start would not be all that expensive, one of those boats mentioned had a tiny trailer, most don't look at that, as long as it's not rusty, it must be OK, nothing could be further from the truth. The sort of boat you are looking at is very common, don't jump in too quick.

It doesnt take much to deter new boaters from going out then having to deal with 20 year old trailers and outboards
    ive never broken down ever, just bought wisely and saved instead of rushing out and taking whats available and avoided taking on projects or repairs
    also saved by fitting boats outmyself

you can get a 420 buster with a cv model 25 yamaha for 8k with some haggling

4k for a 20 year tinny id be saving for another year and not buying other peoples problems

buy this and put a second hand 25 or 30 on it for example
    https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...so=0&pss=Price

That's a good plan, but personally I would look for a decent hull and put a new motor on it, rather than a new hull and second hand motor, as mentioned, there is lots around to choose from.

a good second hand engine
    but your right noelm

also old tinnys can have many issues due to age fatigue ill conceived fittings and dissimilar metals

Thanks Stevej.

very good value that 420 busta, trailer as well , ya laughing get a new motor with yamaha finance Not wallet wizard and your on the water, repayments would be $50 dollar a week, AWESOME...

Yes @catshark and all others thanks for your advice,when one considers all the offerings I've looked at 20 years old or older for the prices listed seems high,when compared to a new package. I saw this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rock...aha/1183971326

But again early nineties and the hull looks like its had a hard life.

That looks pretty sad to me, be side stepping that myself, just be patient, do the rounds of all your local dealers just to see what's going, something will come up that will suit.