Thread: Trailer marine bearing seal (axle fix)

Trailer marine bearing seal (axle fix)

Hi all, i thought id post this fix up as i did a lot of research which no real description to fix my old axle that had no shoulder to run marine seal.
    i bought this trailer and previous owner had fitted the marine seal kit but seal was pushing out. so what i did, clean and de grease, mocked up the disk and seal in position, and as you can see inside of seal is flush with the axle step, then pack void with knead it (steel). after set with seal pulled away you can now see shoulder for the seal to set against.
    IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    cheers

Re: Trailer marine bearing seal (axle fix)

The last one I had like that I used a couple of pvc conduit lockrings on each side.

Trailer marine bearing seal (axle fix)

I had a similar problem and used a couple of stainless hose clamp on the axle shoulder where you put the need it and that kept the seal in place ,I had bearings buddies and they used to push the seal out some times but the hose clamps stopped it . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

But are we all adding a smear of silastic around the axle before pushing the seal on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    The last one I had like that I used a couple of pvc conduit lockrings on each side.
    Because of the welded brake caliper plate, anything slipped over stub was interfering with the bead weld. A trailer joint said just use 2 seals on stub, it works but, as above, the knead it looks ok for now, 1 tube did all 4 stubs.

I found that by trimming the rubber out of the inside of a normal holden trailer seal, it left a perfect diameter to uss as a backing washer for the ford marine seals to stop this issue. My only concern with something like knead it would be rust promotion under it. Keep a close eye on it.

All the axles i have worked on don't have that ring around the seal area usually this happens when u get dirt and grease under the seal and the seal spins on the shaft and it wears that ring mark,water will just go strait under your seal i think its time for a new axle

i looked again maybe its just the burnt grease mark that looks like a ring?

So are we going to revisit the thread about the stainless steel seal seat that is available for this problem?
    Jack.