Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anchor Winch (Pros and Cons)

Re: Anchor Winch (Pros and Cons)

Cheers Ranmar. One of these will be making it's way into my rigging before she next gets her bum wet...……...whenever that may be.

Cool invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander77 View Post
    I'm a new boatie, and after just a few weeks on water and trying to pull anchor out by hand just a couple of times I've had enough. So bought myself a LoneStar GX2 winch a few days ago, should arrive here next week. Looking forward to it, cant really see myself using anchoring without electric winch ever again.
    Just a note of caution, make sure your mounting surface is up to the task of taking a drum winch, would hate to see you rip out the bottom of your boat or damage your anchor well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Re the anchor coming up the right way----have you seen the boomerang type anchor righters? Put them just before the pick, and they simply cant come up through the bowsprit, upside down. They can be quite expensive for a a very simple bit of kit you can fab up yourself. I didn't have any s/s flatbar lying around, but I did have a bent piece of 16mm solid, so a ground a flat on each end and drilled a hole in it, job done. Mount it two or four links back from the pick, like this below, oriented so the banana shape is arching up in the middle.

Pulled it a few dozen times, always comes through the bowsprit right way.
    I need this like nothing else. Thanks ranmar850.

With any winch mentioned make sure you have the battery capacity, helps to run 2 batteries and the motor running as well. The other way to go is to maybe go for an electric motor up front. More expensive, more weight as but definitely worth thinking about. Been off Mooloolaba and trying to anchor on small spots only to have boats with electric motors drop in before I've layed out enough rode. PIA. They get quite abusive so let them have it and move on. Whats happened, fishing used to be such a friendly sport.

I've got a 5.75 mtr Seafarer Vega and it is fitted with a Savwinch electric drum winch. 1000 series drum assembly so it fits in the anchor well but beefed up with a 2000 series motor plus fast-fall to drop the pick quickly. Savwinch have their own anchor ropes specially made (mine is 6 mm but 1500 kg breaking strain). So I have @100 mtrs of this with a 10 mtr piece of nylon rope between it and the 8 mtrs of shortlink chain. I haven't had any issues so far other than the obvious limitations on depth you can anchor in. I stow a couple of hundred mtrs of back-up rope with retrieval ballfloat for contingencies. I don't think there is any perfect set-up; just what you're comfortable with.

Also if your using 8mm let alone 6mm braid make sure you have the right rollers on your bowsprit. The ones normally fitted will just get chewed up unless they are designed for the sawing effect the braid has. I had to change mine, had them turned by a local workshop, seems the nylon needs to be oiled based from memory or have alloy rollers.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I need this like nothing else. Thanks ranmar850.
    18 months on, still working as earlier reported. Worst thing that has happened was that i was a bit quick, and it ended up sideways. Happened once or twice only.

as to the elctric spotlockers, obviously the answer for holding tight on a spot if condidtions are suitable. But getting very expensive for a boat of my size, and there is a performance penalty for carting it all around. I couldn't see much change from $10K for fitting one to the Reefrunner, if I went with the lithium batteries. The motor alone is over $6K. Much cheaper on a smaller boat

Despite looking like a ###### any issue if anchor comes in upside down? Mine does that 80% of the time, yeh some blokes have a giggle at the ramp but who gives a...

the down side of the attachment is you have 5 separate connections instead of one....

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Despite looking like a ###### any issue if anchor comes in upside down? Mine does that 80% of the time, yeh some blokes have a giggle at the ramp but who gives a...

the down side of the attachment is you have 5 separate connections instead of one....
    I use a Mooloolabah Pick, no such thing as upside down.
    Just slow it down a metre before the anchor and it should be ok. I thread some coloured rope through the chain 2m and 1m before the anchor so I have more control at the end.

nice set up , we used to use a header like your banana link for the powerlines , dragging conductor thru the rollers , D shack swivel looks good too
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Re the anchor coming up the right way----have you seen the boomerang type anchor righters? Put them just before the pick, and they simply cant come up through the bowsprit, upside down. They can be quite expensive for a a very simple bit of kit you can fab up yourself. I didn't have any s/s flatbar lying around, but I did have a bent piece of 16mm solid, so a ground a flat on each end and drilled a hole in it, job done. Mount it two or four links back from the pick, like this below, oriented so the banana shape is arching up in the middle.

Pulled it a few dozen times, always comes through the bowsprit right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post

Only if it comes over the roller sideways and jambs. Then you have to go up front and kick the crap out of it to get it free.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only if it comes over the roller sideways and jambs. Then you have to go up front and kick the crap out of it to get it free.
    Oh OK, mine come up complety upside down not sideways.....still think that's too many joins.... only an issue if over-nighting I guess.

Ausfish Platinum Member

It's called checking them occasionally. And, I do overnighters, sleep on board. They are all exposed when the anchor is up, very easy to have a nip with a small shifter. Never found one loosening yet. I trust it more than those fancy steamlined swivels that you do up with an Allen key--no way of mousing those if you feel the need. I think the mousing is missing in that photo, I use monel wire, the correct stuff for the job, not brittle stainless.