Thread: Spotties

Spotties

Did a solo misión this morning to the 4 beacons. I rigged up some lures last night for trolling and one rod with a metal slug for a day of chasing pelagics. Funny thing is I've never done that before as I've always targeting reef fish.

Ended up only getting 3 spotties one was a tag small so it went back.

The beacons themselves had nothing on them and I trolled around for most of the morning for nothing.

Finally came across some birds working and some surface splashing. With 3 hook ups and 2 keepers I lost the school and couldn't find the again.
    They were caught on Halco Twister 55g.

Was great to get out and catch what I targeted for the morning.

Has anyone got any recommendations for cooking. I filleted them and plan to make a curry with one and shallow fry some as well. All to be eaten fresh I believe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4221.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	118538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4224.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	118539

Re: Spotties

I vac pack and freeze mine. Seem to keep, they make great fish cake or I just cook them in a bit of butter and olive oil in a fry pan

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

My missus just turns them into fish bites a bit of crumbs and cooks in the deep fryer. I also think that they are school Mackerel not spotties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, these are school Mack’s also known as doggies.

Quote Originally Posted by trilogy View Post
    Yep, these are school Mack’s also known as doggies.
    I thought it was Shark Mackerel that were referred to as Doggies?

You win haha.

Thanks Trilogy, wish I new that out there i could have kept the other one.
    Here another pic. I can just make out the second dorsal fin I think. Definitely school Mac?

Name:	School Mackerel.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	118552

the fish in the ice box has clean water, do these need a good bleeding out to get a good taste.

Spotties

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    the fish in the ice box has clean water, do these need a good bleeding out to get a good taste.
    Some people don’t worry about it, I always bleed them as well as most of the other fish I catch.

Bleeding is a necessity with mackerel in my opinion along with dispatching into a cold ice slurry asap unless you want to use it for crab bait!

Both of the above improve the eating quality ten fold and ensure the flesh stays nice and firm..

The esky was cleaned of blood for the photo. Didn't want to upset my facebook followers.

These two little fish had so much meat on them I gave half of it to a mate.
    I cooked one dinner in a beer batter deep fried, yum. The other was crumbed and shallow fried in butter, OMG.
    My mate made a green curry hopefully he was just as happy with the taste as I was.

I'll definitely be chasing these tasty guys again soon.

Though for the moment the carpet and upholstery has been ripped out of the Cruise Craft for some renovation work.
    Not too happy with the pricing that has come back for Sea Deck which is a shame as it's really nice stuff.
    At this stage I'll have to settle for Kiwi-Grip until I can find near on $4k for the Sea-deck which is ridiculous.
    Photo below cleaning glue off floors and then floor prep for flow coat, then Kiwi-Grip.

Name:	IMG_4231.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	118561

Try these guys...

https://diamonddeck.com.au/

There are some cheap seadeck rip-offs on the e-place - 270 x 90 cm sheets for about $70. Search EVA foam decking. A mate of mine has just installed it in his cruise craft 595. If it goes OK for him, I am going to put it in my boat.