Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish ID please. Moreton Bay.

Fish ID please. Moreton Bay.

I know this fish, name escapes me.

Thanks heaps. Just testing out a new sounder and stumbled upon a decent school of them. For reference, the leatherman has a ruler on it, its 20cm, so fish was just over 40cm.

Re: Fish ID please. Moreton Bay.

Looks like a fish only a mother in law would love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Looks like a fish only a mother in law would love!

Champion. Was driving me nuts

Slaty bream

aka MIL fish, painted sweetlip, painted blubberlips etc.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

painted blubberlips LOL funny as

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    painted blubberlips LOL funny as
    Yeah I never heard of that either. Slatey was the name I was looking for.

Also Morwong

Diagramma pictum

Proper name is Blackall.

Well known as a member of the infamous blubberlips family, most of which have very dubious eating quality.

Check your copy of Grant’s Guide. Photo attached. According to Grant, “one of the larger blubberlips”

It is rumoured that this fish was the source of the saying “like shooting fish in a barrell” due to the huge schools found in the old days on the reef where they schooled up so densely and were easily picked off in the hundreds by spearos.

No charge for the edumacation LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I found them ok eating as long as iced immediately and eaten same day. As I've said before here though - beggars can't be choosers ....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    I found them ok eating as long as iced immediately and eaten same day. As I've said before here though - beggars can't be choosers ....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    lots of fish like that, over the years they just get labeled as being rubbish, when in fact, no one has actually tried one

I have tried eating them several times over the years, and always end up taking one bite and throwing the rest out.

I have taken particular care by killing them quickly, bleeding out and straight into an ice slurry. I have tried fish from Moreton Bay, from the clean sandy ocean along the Cape, and Hervey Bay.

It never makes any difference, they were all still terrible.

Was fishing out of Woodgate a few years ago I think it was the 6 Mile. There were half a dozen other boats anchored up nearby, all fishing for mackerel.

Had a huge hit on 20lb gear, after a decent fight I saw colour, initially thought it was a jew but it was a flipping big Blackall. Maybe 8-10kg, it was BIG. Netted it, my Dad took a photo, then I tossed it back over the side to cries of nooooooo! from the nearby boats.

I have always been told they are no good to eat also, but never met anyone that actually tried on. Tonight I was talking to a bloke at the pub who I know well who used to catch them at Straddie all the time and reckons they are ok..

Next time I catch one, I'll chuck it straight on the BBQ and have a go. Tried a few species recently that I would normally not eat, but caught, cleaned, and straight on the boat BBQ within the hour has changed my opinion a bit. Might also be because I am growing up and getting and a bit more adventurous.

I have eaten it fresh - IMO it falls into a similar category as a lot of fish - acceptable when treated properly and cooked fresh. It's certainly no whiting or pearl perch. Some of us, me included, forget we are a bit spoilt when it comes to fresh fish and what we do and don't eat - spoilt for choice and quality. I'm that way with crab - eat it the day it was caught, from then on it's better given to the neighbours and never order it from a restaurant. Sometimes however, it's better to listen to the locals - anyone who has tried to eat a buffalo bream from Perth will know what I mean.

The ones up in Mackay were 50/50, some would be ok and some would have a very iodine taste and were inedible!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    The ones up in Mackay were 50/50, some would be ok and some would have a very iodine taste and were inedible!

I remember once being told by someone if you fold back the gills and have a sniff and they smell like iodine the send them back.

I took a big hiatus from fishing once they installed the green zones and have forgotten a lot. Now I have a bigger boat and can venture a bit wider I have rediscovered fishing. I catch fish now, cant remember the name but know what to keep or not!