Thread: Carpenter Lures. Collect or use?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Carpenter Lures. Collect or use?

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to receive a Chrissy gift which just happened to be a carpenter 10th Anniversary lure. Now I know these lures are an expensive bit of kit and I wouldn’t buy this myself but I’m curious to see if anyone actually use these or just collect them?

I do have what I consider expensive stick baits and poppers such as ASWB and Patriot Design brands that I use but the price of the carpenter brand is on another level!

So who on here actually uses them and do you consider them to be more effective than cheaper brands?

Re: Carpenter Lures. Collect or use?

My daughters partner has a pretty reasonable collection of Carpenters ( a dozen or so) - and he actually uses them for tuna & kingies both off the rocks & out of a boat.
    We had a bit of a chat about it just prior to Christmas where I put it to him "why buy them ?" He couldn't tell me that they made a difference to his fishing or give me a better answer than " I just wanted them " - he loves his fishing & high end gear …… but he is only an apprentice so it's not as if he has money to burn.

Shit - would I tie on a $300 lure to chuck at a GT …… no way ! Would I buy a $300 lure to sit in a display cabinet - definitely no way.

aside from those that have a lot of disposable income or want to collect exotic lures I just cant see the logic in the exercise ……. will a Carpenter swim better than a Patriot , ASWB , FCL etc etc - catch more fish ? …….. I highly doubt it ! - & lets face it , there are actually better looking lures on the market for half the price.

An investment maybe - they are highly sought on the world market.

Good topic

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Never heard of carpenter lures so a quick google as you do to see the bizz and yeah , suprised that there is a purchase limit of three on their website, they look very realistic looking and a nice price tag to suit, id say the finish on them could be hand made, just a guess though. would i purchase these lures, most definetly if i had the budget to allow. they look real good.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replys guys.

I won’t be using this particular Carpenter lure for the simple reason of sentimental purposes as it was a gift from the kids and would hate to lose it.
    Their reason for buying it was that they were tired of me whinging and harping on all the time that I could buy three quality lures for the price of one Carpenter and knew it was something I wouldn’t have in the tackle box.

Ive always been one to purchase gear, high end or not, to serve its purpose and have to admit whilst it’s a nice bit of kit, I’m struggling to see the hype against some others I have.

I don’t know about you guys but when I get dusted and lose a Halco roosta let alone high end gear I get the shits!😂

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys.

I won’t be using this particular Carpenter lure for the simple reason of sentimental purposes as it was a gift from the kids and would hate to lose it.
    Their reason for buying it was that they were tired of me whinging and harping on all the time that I could buy three quality lures for the price of one Carpenter and knew it was something I wouldn’t have in the tackle box.

Ive always been one to purchase gear, high end or not, to serve its purpose and have to admit whilst it’s a nice bit of kit, I’m struggling to see the hype against some others I have.

I don’t know about you guys but when I get dusted and lose a Halco roosta let alone high end gear I get the shits!
    It's certainly bad enough to tie on a $50 lure with the knowledge that you could lose it in 1 cast …… Yeh I have a few lures that when you add the hardware would be a $100 lure . But As I will only get a couple of trips a year in where I would use these … I'm less concerned (specially when they are still in the tackle box ) ……. but I reckon I would be having kittens if I started to lose a few . It would be akin to my first trip to Lord Howe Island where I lost well over $1000 worth of trolling lures to Wahoo snip offs in 3 days fishing.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO