Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercruiser to Chevy 350

Re: Mercruiser to Chevy 350

When starting a carby engine you have to pump the throttle several times before cranking so it can pump fuel into the engine.

Pumping never helped on my carby GM though all else being equal I'd agree.. I suspect my fuel bowl was emptying between outings so nothing to pump. I later learned that the fuel pump does not run if trying to prime by cranking with kill switch on....so just 10 seconds cranking, THEN throttle pumps....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it definitely depends on how long the engine sits. My Berty 25 doesn't get a lot of use so it needs a dose of fuel down both throats to get running.

I've a 2003 Mercruiser GM block (Carbie) 5.7L 250hp, complete with Alpha Gen 2, all electrics, 2x new 3 in 1 gauges, panel mount throttle etc, in perfect running condition (in a Trophy Pro 2359,) up for grabs. Runs perfectly, but feel the vessel is a little under powered, so biting the bullet and fitting a spanking new 6.2L 350hp bravo 3. Will be crated by the Mercruiser dealer and ready for shipping within a month or two..7_4.jpg

Good new (but bad news for Alukey as I'd have been interested).

Boat is fine. Finally managed to test it as I've been pretty sick and everything ran perfectly once we got it back together.

Going to grab new exhaust manifolds, risers and spacers tomorrow, all the stuff for a service and a leg service kit is on the way. Once that's all done it'll be good to go.

I'm reasonably pissed off that it just sat in storage for 4 months over some of the best boating conditions but what can you do. I'm tempted to contact the mechanic who told me I needed a new engine but I'm really not sure what that will achieve.

I was speaking to one of the dock workers and he said if my manifolds etc were really bad (which they are) then a small amount of water probably went down and caused the valves to get stuck and running it "unstuck" them.

On a side note to save creating a new thread what is the stuff that runs around the boat where the top half joins the bottom half? It looks like some kind of aluminium track. I need to replace some of it but I have no idea what I am actually meant to try and research because I can't figure out what it is called...

Quote Originally Posted by LordMidol View Post
    Good new (but bad news for Alukey as I'd have been interested).

On a side note to save creating a new thread what is the stuff that runs around the boat where the top half joins the bottom half? It looks like some kind of aluminium track. I need to replace some of it but I have no idea what I am actually meant to try and research because I can't figure out what it is called...
    You mean something like these gunwales?

https://www.boataccessoriesaustralia...e/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    You mean something like these gunwales?

https://www.boataccessoriesaustralia...e/default.aspx
    Yes! Exactly that.

Thanks a ton.

Googling "aluminium track covering boat join" was not very successful.

No problem, Gunwales is not a common word unless you have been around boat building scene, also shop around as the prices on the gunwales, joints, ends, etc., can vary greatly from one company to another. Also keep in mind that the rubber insert is generally sold at an additional cost.

Cheers.

Figured I'd reply to my old thread just to update everyone.

It's been an adventure fixing this.

All fixed and finally will be back on the water. Determined the engine itself was fine. Total cost of full service (with replacement exhaust manifolds, elbows etc) was around $7,000 including all fluids. I probably wasted around $500-$1,000 breaking stuff and replacing it and then rebuying stuff I had already used because I installed it wrong etc but I'm happy that I am now confident I can do things like removing the drive and replacing different parts myself so I'm happy to pay for the learning experience. A lot of the time has been learning and a few parts I wanted my brother to assist with so it was waiting for his schedule to align with mine.

A key moment was when I put the drive back on for the final time and the gearing slipped. Got it all on at 1 AM to find I had no forward... Had a full on adult tantrum at that.

Cleaned up a bunch of the electrics and have a few gauges etc to replace over the next few weeks but all is good for now.

I'm pretty happy with the repair bill after all of that.

Well Done !