Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No time, wrong dates and tide info Simrad NSS, Lowrance HDS Gen 1, Touch and Gen2

No time, wrong dates and tide info Simrad NSS, Lowrance HDS Gen 1, Touch and Gen2

An issue has beed discovered with the GPS chip in legacy Simrad and Lowrance issues.

Affects most lowrance HDS Gen1, Gen 1 Touch and Gen 2 units. Gen 3 and later are not affected. Some Elite models and possibly Hook.

Affects Simrad NSS first gen, not NSS evo2 or newer.

What is the problem?

The symptoms include time not working and wrong dates showing, and that leads to incorrect tidal data being displayed.

Navico pinned the issue down and worked with the 3rd party GPS chip manufacturer to find a solution, which they have done for Lowrance units, still working on Simrad but should not be far away.

So if you are having such problems, go to the Lowrance software updates page, select your unit and you will find the software partch there to download.

Here is a link to the software downloads page. Use the dropdown menu to find your unit model.

https://downloads.lowrance.com/
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: No time, wrong dates and tide info Simrad NSS, Lowrance HDS Gen 1, Touch and Gen2

Simrad has now released a software patch to fix this issue:

http://downloads.simrad-yachting.com...ex.html?r=1002
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: No time, wrong dates and tide info Simrad NSS, Lowrance HDS Gen 1, Touch and Gen2

ok just tried to update a gen 1 i still use on the small tinny with the legacy patch which moonlighter had kindly referred to but the gen 1 hangs up on it and get the message "no or unsupported gps detected" - so that doesnt work on mine

and then tried to update a gen 2 T i also have with the relevant gen 2 legacy patch and then it started to get intermittent hangs ups on start up so have now rolled back to the previous upgrade 6 which fortunately i still had a copy of and appears to be ok but time will tell - so any one else having problems updating with these bloody legacy patches - seems just so typical of lowrance navico this happening - fair dinkum if i win lotto i am switching all my 4 sounders to garmin or hummingbird

I suggest making 100% sure that you have the correct patch. The first thing that the update does is to check that it is loaded into the correct model, and it bounces back just like you found if it is not the right model.

Also, you must use a SD card of no larger than 32GB formatted to FAT32.

It would be worth reformatting a suitable card, then re-download the file and try again. Only have 1 update file on the card.

did all that mate and still no go on the gen 1 - tried 3 different cards all clean ones from size 2 gb to 8 gb so a problem there and i may call lowrance on it as unit works fine other than that - the gen 2 t loaded on ok but then the unit started playing up and hanging up on its start up not every time thou so rolled it back to the previous update 6 and seems ok now touch wood - win lotto AND will be a new boat and all garmin or hummingbird gear and the lowrance gear will be in the bay

cheers

After updating it is always a good idea to do a hard reset. Resolves any stability issues.

Save waypoints and settings first, though, as they will be wiped.

Not hearing many such reports on other forums, those few who did have issues seem to have resolved them by doing what I said earlier.

ok i will give it another whirl - will re format the disc for the gen 1 or maybe buy a brand new small 2 or 4 gb off ebay as i think they are still there for sale and maybe give lowrance a call as well and see what they suggest (if you get a good guy on the phone they can be quite helpful at times trouble is getting a good guy)

cheers

nah tried it ( the gen 1 legacy patch ) again with a newly formated 2 gb card in the gen 1 and same result Error - no or unsupported GPS detected and then it hangs up so cant close it down or do anything with it so have to turn batts off - so i guess its try to talk to lowrance and see what gives

Patrol. Didn't work on one GPS why would you think it would work on the other one. Lowrance would have to be the worst support out there. Do have a couple in the tinnie and yak and worked on a mates,2 of them. Has to be my least favorite piece of hardware /software. Sounds like Hard Resets and if that fails call Lowrance, good luck with that though as I've had more luck with other users. Reps from Lowrance at fishing shows have been as useful as,well leave it at that. One guy was better than others though as he honestly told me they had no spare parts and extremely limited knowledge on the systems, their focus was on sell if in warranty replace otherwise forget it.

Make sure that your HDS unit is updated to the most recent software before applying the patch.

That’s all I’ve got for you.

If that doesnt work, then talk to CS, they are usually very helpful, I have never had any problems with them the few occasions I have called.

If you get really stuck send me a PM and I will make inquiries with a Navico expert contact to see what they suggest.

ok thanks - i will give lowrance a call sometime this week and see what they can suggest as a fix

Check that the update file you downloaded and saved to your SD card ends in .upd

Some browsers seem not to be downloading the file properly.

I had to use Chrome the other day to get a Suzuki engine interface file. Otherwise it woukd only save a link that looked like the file, but wasn’t.

Here is a link to where a Lowrance Prostaff guy from Norway has saved the Gen2 and Gen2 touch files and they can be downloaded from there. He says many people have used them from that source without issues.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...ka?usp=sharing

EDIT

I downloaded the Gen1 update file and saved it to my Dropbox folder.

You are welcome to download it from there and give it a try

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xokg16azor...ish-1.upd?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by patrol50 View Post
    ok thanks - i will give lowrance a call sometime this week and see what they can suggest as a fix
    Done some more digging for you.

Seems that some PC’s do not download the patch files correctly, dont know why for sure, but possibly their security settings, security software or something was corrupting the .upd file.

The couple of other cases like yours I have found were solved by downloading the patch on a different computer and then they had immediate success with upload.

Suggest you do that. Let us know how it goes.

No time, wrong dates and tide info Simrad NSS, Lowrance HDS Gen 1, Touch and Gen2

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Done some more digging for you.

Seems that some PC’s do not download the patch files correctly, dont know why for sure, but possibly their security settings, security software or something was corrupting the .upd file.

The couple of other cases like yours I have found were solved by downloading the patch on a different computer and then they had immediate success with upload.

Suggest you do that. Let us know how it goes.
    My laptop does this - if I just left click on the download link like I would normally - the file is automatically saved as a text file, so no use at all.
    From memory if I right click the download link I get the “save target as” option. Then I point the download to my preferred laptop folder.
    Then the proper file.upd is saved locally.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

I upgraded 1 x HDS Gen 1, a HDS Gen2 and a Gen2 touch today for a mate, using the GPS patch files I downloaded using IE.

Was a straightforward process, no issues on any of them.

I had the 3 files saved into a folder on the SD card, put it into each unit, went into the menu, found the SD card, selected the appropriate file, and selected upgrade. Unit restarted and update done.