Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor winch weight

Anchor winch weight

Just finished strengthening the anchor well with 12mm ply and 4 layers of glass then fitted a lonestar gx3 with a lewmar delta anchor, I believe I have added approximately 50kg to the original weight up front and it has got me thinking if the extra weight up front would offset the extra Weight of 4 strokes which is also about 50kg instead of getting the larger Kc 2400 pods and saving me $4000! I’m assuming the small weight difference would probably get distributed across the length and won’t make any difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Anchor winch weight

Just thinking Do you think 12 mm and 4 ply of F/G will be strong enough? i should imagine the big KC would put some decent hurt on if she hooked up good on the bottom?

BigE

That’s on top of the original ply and glass so it probably totals 50mm, time will tell I guess

Ausfish Silver Member

Didn't the Lonestar come with a 6mm alloy backing plate?
    I dont think you are going to tear that out of what you've constructed...

Anchor winch weight

Yes it certainly does! Being an old boat I just wasn’t sure how strong the back anchor well wall would have been as it wouldn’t have been designed to take the weight of the winch, so wanted to bump the strength up a bit!

Most anchor wells have more than enough glass in them, if however you have added more ply and glass then I would say that if you managed to rip it out then you would have to be doing something pretty silly. Most good boat builders add more glass in that area to stop bouncing anchors and chain banging/wearing through the hull whilst bouncing around in the sea plus the shape of that area would also add to the strength. Having said that there was no way it was even close to 50Kg more like 15Kg tops.

Did you join/extend the FRP to the sides or just add it to the top to cover the existing reinforcing? I did the same to my 26ft'er when I added a large winch to it. I did it mainly because I wasn't happy with the way it was originally done and so added the glass to the V sides as well as the top and back to the cabin sides, ie; completely glassed the well area, more so for wear and bumps than anything else.

But FRP is very strong so I wouldn't worry about it, if it is now about 50mm then that is about the thickness of a transom, and seeing as most 50mm transoms can hold 150HP -200HP motors I do not think that a 1 or 2 KWatt winch motor would do any damage even if snagged. Your boat probably would submerge itself by nose diving if you hooked it on the bottom whist driving forward fast and then you would have a different problem!
    One last thing, 50Kg is a lot of glass and resin, are you sure you used that much?, that would be about a pail of resin and 2/3 of a roll of CSM glass.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the advice, the 50kg I was referring to was the extra weight of the winch and bits plus the extra reinforcement,and and some other stuff I have mounted in the cabin, from memory I think I used about 4kg resin and another 1kg of flowcoat, I just glassed about 100mm around the top,bottom and side edges!

Think that included the winch etc as well - not just the glass work. As to the original question - it would have to have some effect . I imagine it would depend on where the COG is for the boat combined with the buoyancy / displacement due to hull shape between said COG and the weight.

Bit of light reading

https://microship.com/balance-your-b...vity-database/

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Thanks for the advice, the 50kg I was referring to was the extra weight of the winch and bits plus the extra reinforcement,and and some other stuff I have mounted in the cabin,

That's fair enough, I thought that you meant that 50Kg was the glass, resin, ply weight by itself.

Cheers

You need to remember that a boat is not like a see-saw, because the front goes down a bit, doesn't mean the stern will rise the same amount, it will lift a bit, but in reality, the bow will simply be lower, to change the trim of the boat, you need to remove weight in the stern and put it in the bow, or provide added bouyancy in the stern with bigger pods.

Terry I went down this path myself, I was fortunate in that I could spread the load laterally as well. From your pics it looks like you've padded out the original backing plate. Did you make it wider by any chance as that would have had more purchase, probably I would have extended it as far as the bunks and also at the top I would have somehow bedded it into the cabin structure. I'm away for a couple of days and should be back Friday sometime but give me a PM and Ill show you what happens when the anchor does get stuck and what it can do to the winch backing plate let alone what the stresses that are on that piece of glassed ply.

What type of glass n what weight did you use?? I would be pretty sure that even if it was 600 choppy or double bi that you are very light on for strengthening an area that is now going to be subjected to a considerable amount of pressure.. Personally I would be looking further into it. Remember your transom is supported by some major components of your boat, being your stringers and the sides of your hull.

Ausfish Platinum Member

The backing plates supplied with these winches only spreads out the loading around the individual bolt holes--so instead of 4 small points, it's just one big point. It really only relates tothe actual bolting down of the winch, not really overall strength. I've been through the same process myself, installing a Tuffwinch 240HC, which is a 300mm drum, equivilant to the lonestar GX3, on the Reefrunner. In my case , it bolts to a vertical surface, the forward bulkhead. I was advised by the dealer to reinforce the bulkhead for the winch--i was assuming this would be because the bulkhead was raather light, which doesn't align with caribbeans philosphy on boat building. so I went ahead and cut a piece of 16mm marine ply to shape, to fit between the longitudinal stiffeners which run from the bulkhead to the bow. Ground back the flowcoat, covered with resin applied a layer of chopped mat and more resin, then screwed it to the bulkhead to hold it firm, and glassed over the front and overlapped all around, as shown below. There is a 6mm backing plate supplied with these as well, goes inside the cab.

So anyway, when it came time to drill the holes, I found that I had over 40mm of meat there--the original bulkhead was 25mm. So, when taking into account the logitudinal stiffeners running from the bulkhead to the bow, that "box" the winch is in is very strong indeed. I'd go so far as to doubt the necessity for further reinforcement.

So, Dirtyfuzz, from the pictures it looks like you reinforcement is bonding the bottom of the well ( not familiar with these hulls) to the hull with a stiffener, to take out any possibility of flex in the well under load. That means that the loading is all on either end of the stiffener, where is is trying to pull away when the anchor well tries to flex. it should work, but keep an eye on those end surfaces, for crracking or delamination. Thats likely where failure would happen, if the bottom of the well wants to flex under load. I would have, personally, run that stiffener longitudinally, to give it more bonding area, and to make it easier to get to the bolts, aalthough that would likely mean you couldn't use the supplied backing plate. You would need two plates, one each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
    What type of glass n what weight did you use?? I would be pretty sure that even if it was 600 choppy or double bi that you are very light on for strengthening an area that is now going to be subjected to a considerable amount of pressure.. Personally I would be looking further into it. Remember your transom is supported by some major components of your boat, being your stringers and the sides of your hull.
    To be honest I’m not sure what the weight of the glass is, I grabbed it all off a local boat builder here that makes cats and He just told me what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    The backing plates supplied with these winches only spreads out the loading around the individual bolt holes--so instead of 4 small points, it's just one big point. It really only relates tothe actual bolting down of the winch, not really overall strength. I've been through the same process myself, installing a Tuffwinch 240HC, which is a 300mm drum, equivilant to the lonestar GX3, on the Reefrunner. In my case , it bolts to a vertical surface, the forward bulkhead. I was advised by the dealer to reinforce the bulkhead for the winch--i was assuming this would be because the bulkhead was raather light, which doesn't align with caribbeans philosphy on boat building. so I went ahead and cut a piece of 16mm marine ply to shape, to fit between the longitudinal stiffeners which run from the bulkhead to the bow. Ground back the flowcoat, covered with resin applied a layer of chopped mat and more resin, then screwed it to the bulkhead to hold it firm, and glassed over the front and overlapped all around, as shown below. There is a 6mm backing plate supplied with these as well, goes inside the cab.

So anyway, when it came time to drill the holes, I found that I had over 40mm of meat there--the original bulkhead was 25mm. So, when taking into account the logitudinal stiffeners running from the bulkhead to the bow, that "box" the winch is in is very strong indeed. I'd go so far as to doubt the necessity for further reinforcement.

So, Dirtyfuzz, from the pictures it looks like you reinforcement is bonding the bottom of the well ( not familiar with these hulls) to the hull with a stiffener, to take out any possibility of flex in the well under load. That means that the loading is all on either end of the stiffener, where is is trying to pull away when the anchor well tries to flex. it should work, but keep an eye on those end surfaces, for crracking or delamination. Thats likely where failure would happen, if the bottom of the well wants to flex under load. I would have, personally, run that stiffener longitudinally, to give it more bonding area, and to make it easier to get to the bolts, aalthough that would likely mean you couldn't use the supplied backing plate. You would need two plates, one each side.
    Thanks Ranmar! The winch is bolted in the same position as you have, I stiffened up the back of the anchor well from the cabin side mainly because it was easier to get to and didn’t want to take any space away from inside the anchor well but I now might add some ply and glass to the sides of the well also