Thread: FNQ fishing

FNQ fishing

Guys, totally unfamiliar with NQ. Just asking the question about access to outside from creeks/rivers up north. Thinking of looking up that way in the future for a change from Sunshine Coast, but would love to know what is available for easy ocean access. Also, how far offshore do you need to head for decent reef.
    Thinking from Mossman way north. Also, what are the main offshore species that you target?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Re: FNQ fishing

Mosman you can go out from either salty creek or mossman river, better ramp at mossy which is on the south side of newell beach, salty at the north. channel for mossy is quite good. Short sharp chop, need to go anywhere from 20K plus target trout, mackerel other reefies but trout and macks the most common.

Just go there - sound it out and post some pics.
    Then we will ask you some questions
    I always check a new place using Google Earth then of course there is Google Earth Pro + Deep Reef
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Mosman you can go out from either salty creek or mossman river, better ramp at mossy which is on the south side of newell beach, salty at the north. channel for mossy is quite good. Short sharp chop, need to go anywhere from 20K plus target trout, mackerel other reefies but trout and macks the most common.
    Thanks Sheik, heading up there for a few days in a couple of weeks, so will suss out access, ramps etc

FNQ fishing

What fish do you want to catch? A lot of people generally go to closest reef, drop a bait and catch bugger all or tiny stuff. How big is your boat?
    If your fishing the reef targeting trout is best bet. Bait is good but I prefer lure fishing for trout, popper/stick baiting reef edges is heaps of fun. Easier to fish reef edges on low tides. Then go up the reef flats at high. Be surprised what you catch in 2m of water.
    If you’ve got a good sounder, spend time looking in the deeper water away from reef for your bigger trophy fish, nannygai/reds etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Hi Flex, Its an 8.4m Sailfish, so used to doing big km's off sunny coast. Reefs are my preferred catch, usually feed macks to my dog who loves them
    So you get Nannies & reds there as well?? Now your talking. What about fingermark??
    Thanks mate,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    What fish do you want to catch? A lot of people generally go to closest reef, drop a bait and catch bugger all or tiny stuff. How big is your boat?
    If your fishing the reef targeting trout is best bet. Bait is good but I prefer lure fishing for trout, popper/stick baiting reef edges is heaps of fun. Easier to fish reef edges on low tides. Then go up the reef flats at high. Be surprised what you catch in 2m of water.
    If you’ve got a good sounder, spend time looking in the deeper water away from reef for your bigger trophy fish, nannygai/reds etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    When he really wants to get fish he takes the missus

Otherwise he misses

Have you missed me Tony?

Nup!
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    When he really wants to get fish he takes the missus

Otherwise he misses

Have you missed me Tony?