Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring/fishing in a channel.

Anchoring/fishing in a channel.

Quick one for the community.
    I was up the pumicestone passage the other day, near Donnybrook. The channel narrows a bit there to about 80m. There were 5 boats anchored and fishing in the channel.
    2 questions. Would you anchor in the channel, knowing full well that heaps of traffic is going to come through (think it was New years day, passage was packed)?
    And would you get pissed off if boats came through quickly and reasonably close.
    Im pretty familiar with the passage so i cut the corner to avoid, but a lot of boats blew straight through.....
    Whats the etiquette here?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Anchoring/fishing in a channel.

6 kt speed limit within 30 m of any anchored vessel (even if they are parked in a channel)

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    6 kt speed limit within 30 m of any anchored vessel (even if they are parked in a channel)
    And 60m for pwc's.. But common sense should apply when wanting to anchor especially avoiding the middle of a busy navigable channel.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

If its a one way river the boats anchored have no etiquette for u so give them none back abide all rules tho if u pass there boat within pissing distance and they are unhappy than they shouldn't really me anchoring in the middle of a channel and or taking up the width of the river from side to side

its more likely one day bandits tho that go out and see another boat anchored and anchor next to them happens to us a lot in Sydney i donno if they just assume we would rather a crowd fishing around us or we are onto the fish and they want a piece of the action usually we arnt catching anything so we have a laugh about it

usually a nod or a wave is enough etiquette while passing by than find your own little secluded haven to fish mate

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If its a one way river the boats anchored have no etiquette for u so give them none back abide all rules tho if u pass there boat within pissing distance and they are unhappy than they shouldn't really me anchoring in the middle of a channel and or taking up the width of the river from side to side

its more likely one day bandits tho that go out and see another boat anchored and anchor next to them happens to us a lot in Sydney i donno if they just assume we would rather a crowd fishing around us or we are onto the fish and they want a piece of the action usually we arnt catching anything so we have a laugh about it

usually a nod or a wave is enough etiquette while passing by than find your own little secluded haven to fish mate
    Yeah all the boats were just blowing through. I just dont see why you'd anchor there.
    I thought surely you wouldnt get upset if people didnt slow down, it was their choice to anchor in the channel.....

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

80 m wide channel should give you enough room to pass 30 m away from them? Why would they anchor there - because it is a good fishing spot probably. I know of some good patches of rubble bottom in the channel about 1 km South of Bells Ck.

Blog Entries

I prefer boats go past me WOT on a plane. Less bow wave. People who slow down off the plane are a PITA. (insert obvious law abiding commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I prefer boats go past me WOT on a plane. Less bow wave.
    Good luck telling that to the magistrate😁
    I have seen ton of boats booked by fisheries inspectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I prefer boats go past me WOT on a plane. Less bow wave. People who slow down off the plane are a PITA. (insert obvious law abiding commentary)
    the guy in that big boat that moors in the middle of a tight channel for months on end at the top end of Bribie waves his hands every time anyone goes by at more than 6 knots but as he is causing a hazard he should move. In fact I wonder what the rules are for mooring, as distinct from anchoring as he stays there for nearly 5 months the last few years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    the guy in that big boat that moors in the middle of a tight channel for months on end at the top end of Bribie waves his hands every time anyone goes by at more than 6 knots but as he is causing a hazard he should move. In fact I wonder what the rules are for mooring, as distinct from anchoring as he stays there for nearly 5 months the last few years.
    Whenever he starts that shit I just smile and yell back "It's ok, I'm a local"

book him for squatting i say . move it or lose it.

I thought about getting one of those disposable air horns for all the wankers that come within 15 meters of my boat both jetski's and other boats and honk the horn to say as if wtf they have 2km's width of bay yet they want to park on top of you

You can get refillable ones that allow you to fill.using a compressor or bike pump etc. Works very well for idiots who have no lights in the middle of the channels at the Pin at night.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Works very well for idiots who have no lights in the middle of the channels at the Pin at night.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Use the spotlight on those ones

The thing is if u hit one of these people in another boat u will be liable for excessive speed day or night i don't think maritime would get the anchored boat for anything our laws are absolutely shit. if your in the wrong whole or partly they'll proceed the whole way that it was your fault and u wont have a leg to stand on unless u spend a lot of money