Thread: FG knot again with a twist (puns intended)

FG knot again with a twist (puns intended)

I like it, what do you blokes think?
    I don't use glue on an FG but plenty do apparently.
    Hope the link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Rjaj-LM_L0Y

TMC

Re: FG knot again with a twist (puns intended)

I don’t see the point in doing the fancy ending to the knot. Two half hitches lock the twists off just fine if it’s tied right and I never have one let go once tied tight.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Since I started using the FG knot I have not had one fail. I've tried the risotto knot but am not convinced especially while using arthritic fingers, I usually finish with a couple of half hitches in opposite directions then finish with a half hitch where I turn the tag end in twice or three times.

Thanks Dignity. I have been very happy with the FG knot since changing a few years ago. I was interested in your comment about turning the tag end in 2-3 times. Can you please explain how this is done as I normally lock with a few half hitches and cut off a 3-5mm tag. Always looks a bit untidy though. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Standard whip finish. Not a new concept and the way rod bindings etc have been finished for years. I have been using this after the half hitches for years to finish Fg's and for years before that finishing plaits and other slimline connections. Someone just decided to attach their name to it me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Thanks Dignity. I have been very happy with the FG knot since changing a few years ago. I was interested in your comment about turning the tag end in 2-3 times. Can you please explain how this is done as I normally lock with a few half hitches and cut off a 3-5mm tag. Always looks a bit untidy though. Cheers SS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app
    Basically the third half hitch the tag end is wrapped 3 times around instead of once, a bit more care/lube required to pull it down, I usually cut the tag end fairly short at around 1mm

FG knot again with a twist (puns intended)

Personally I don't see the point in using gas lighters or super glue on fishing knots. I'm referring to a few FG variants I've seen around.
    Whatever knot that requires gluing or melting isn't suited to the average fisho, middle of the night, on a windy beach, Especially on a boat.
    I use the run of the mill FG Knot on every rig I set up - no glue or gas. Never failed yet, I reckon the standard FG is plenty good.
    I'm sure the gluing and melting makes the overall knot look nicer close up, maybe it even improves the knot strength ? Who knows ?
    As long as it all flows through the rod guides and the knot doesn't fail, it's all good for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk